1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Are the Pelicans toast? We're watching Thunder at Pelicans -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Who can we get for the Tax Payer MLE [$5.4m]?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rox>Mavs, Jul 1, 2018.

1. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

Bima alluded to holding onto that exception to snag a player interested in a starting SF spot to replace Ariza. Who do you think we can get for $5.4m?

Tyreke Evans is said to be targeted by the Warriors. Both teams can only offer the $5.4m but we could offer the starting spot.

Wayne Ellington is another option too for the same reasons.

Is there anyone else out there that are realistic options for the TP-MLE? And who'd be the best fit to fill the void?

2. PersianRocket

PersianRocket Member

We should go for Pat Connaughton. Knockdown shooter, athletic, decent defender. Makes EGo a bit expendable if it means we trade him for a decent player.

jch1911 likes this.
  3. dwhite

dwhite Member

Did you just compare Pat Connaughton to EGo....get some professional help and quit wasting posting space!!!

4. PersianRocket

PersianRocket Member

Didn’t compare him to EGo. EGo is worlds better. What I’m saying is if EGo were to get traded for a better piece I.e. a star or above average starter, Connaughton would be good bench filler since he meets all our needs in a guard backup.

Mr.Pringles likes this.
  5. Nook

Nook Member

There is no one available that can replace Trevor Ariza. He is an enormous loss for the Rockets on the defensive end.

Rocket PR, farhen, Dopamine and 7 others like this.
  6. darksoul35

darksoul35 Member

Ariza has lost a step a year for the last 3 years and Im pretty sure he will lose another next year. I don't think what he is going to be will be that hard to replace. I think Green is going to be better next year due to him knowing the system and Capela is going to get better each year.

7. Rox>Mavs

Defensively yes, but I think some of these guys can be slight upgrades offensively and have better 3pt %'s. It'd be a net loss but considering the price tag at $5.4m it might not be as bad.

8. Vivi

Vivi Member

I think our MLE is only around 3.5 considering we have to use portion of it to sign our two rookies.

saleem and malakas like this.
  9. smuduffy

smuduffy Member

Luc bah moute for that money. As long as he is healthy. We didn't play the same in the playoffs without him and he was obviously injured when he did play. He can take arizas minutes

10. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

We need to re-sign Luc and find a shooter on the cheap.

11. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

They may want to use $838k of it on Melton. Doubt they’ll use any of it on Edwards if there’s anyone else worth spending it on.

12. Vivi

Vivi Member

But if that's the case, does it means we wouldn't sign him or that we can sign him in another way? Two way contract maybe?

13. txn

txn Member

Hope CP3 & companies pull a DeAndre II on Ariza :)

Elephant810 likes this.
  14. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

You can sign him for up to two years without using the MLE. It only dings the mLE when you tack on that third year to get bird rights.

15. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

Now that LeBron's gone I hope they will take a look at Jeff Green.

16. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Ellington is maybe a guy they'd target, but he isn't a defender.

17. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

That's not a bad get right there, I like it. Can definitely knock down the open 3 and slash to the basket and finish. Character guy too, would be a fit in the locker room too I'm assuming. I'm not a huge fan of Luc starting, let's see if he's willing to sign another vet min deal.

He's 2 years younger than Ariza and sat out one year with his heart condition, so basically 3 years younger. 6-9 230 lbs Career 33% from 3 but had a couple seasons at 34 and 36%. No doubt we could create more open looks for him. Career 80% from the FT line as well is nice.

#17 forchette49, Jul 1, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
  18. Rox>Mavs

Count me as one who'd rather not spend $5m+ on LMM. He's great but not as a starter. Plus he's injured that shoulder twice last season, but more than that seeing his confidence tank after that injury is more worrisome.

bilaal14, saleem, ashleyem and 2 others like this.
  19. BamaRocket

BamaRocket Member

Tyreke Evans
    James Ennis
    Jeff Green
    Dante Cunningham
    Glenn Robinson,III

I feel like these are all guys we will take a look at (some already confirmed)

Ideally, I'd love to get Evans at the MLE and sign Ennis and MBAH to vet minimum deals. If Evans goes to Warriors, I'd move on to Jeff Green. All players on the list are versatile players that have length and can switch effectively and with the exception of Robinson, all are solid defensive players.

20. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

[​IMG]

This is our taxpayer MLE Ariza replacement fellas, the good news is defensively he can definitely replace Ariza's production... bad news is offensively he isn't nearly as consistent of a shooter.

As much as i'm hoping we can add another piece with our MLE, the money wings have been getting this offseason leads me to believe we will have to use ours on Luc, if Luc signs elsewhere it would be a disaster for us defensively.