1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

MLE targets for free agency?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ThatBoyNick, Jun 23, 2018.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I don’t know that he’ll get something as low our taxpayer mle but he’s taking a big paycut this year no matter what.

You can feel free to lulz all you want but he was prepared to take the mle last year until we backed out. He’s not getting 20 million next season

2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Ellington was phenomenal last season, shot lights out on very high volume with his 3's. I really feel like Ellington and Harris are great, realistic targets with our taxpayer MLE.

jboslett, hakeem94 and bilaal14 like this.
  3. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Assuming we bring back the same team minus Ariza and possibly Luc; we may have a bit of a hole at SF. Luc seemed to play his way out of a big contract, so that’s sort of good and bad. Still, I’d much rather him a bench player than a starter.
    We also need a back guard who can dribble; I’m hoping for Crawford or Evans. We really don’t have much money to play with. A lot of guys will be too expensive for us.

4. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

Joe Harris?

dharocks likes this.
  5. HP3

HP3 Member

You do not want Crawford, trust me. He's terrible, we MUST resign Luc at all costs.

6. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

Unlike the former stars turned ring chasers, a few million is a big deal to a lot of the guys mentioned and will be way more important than being in a winning situation. Rebuilding teams randomly throw big contracts at good vet players every year so I won't be expecting too much. Given what we have though, I'd agree Ellington is a great fit. Had him on my fantasy team last year and he plays like Korver and Klay: running around screens and nailing 3s.

hakeem94 likes this.
  7. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

We're in the same page my friend! If he goes for MLE were tlhis best option. We can offer biggest role and best team. Only hitch is will we have the full MLE or just the taxpayer...

All depends on capela, CP3, and ariza... And if we can dump ryno

Plowman likes this.
  8. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

I agree they're good players that could fit our team, but where do their minutes come from if we have CP3 (32mpg), harden (36), ego (28)?

Neither can play in a front court rotation with ariza and Tucker. That's where we need help.

hakeem94 likes this.
  9. Red Chocolate

Red Chocolate Contributing Member

If EGo isn't here, Tyreke would be an incredible pickup, although I think he played over his head last season. +1 to Wayne Ellington as well, both of these guys have no qualms about chucking and would be in an improved situation here. One guy I'd really like to see come here in all scenarios is Anthony Tolliver, and he should be available for way less than the MLE. It's hard to say who to use it on without seeing who leaves, because in some situations we will need scorers and in others will need cheap sharpshooters.

10. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

11. Gorilladunks

Gorilladunks Member

taxpayer exceptions are only for 3 year max length contract

12. sgl_carlos

sgl_carlos Member

Some underrated players I would like the Rockets to target. I think they fit well in our Small Ball/Switch everything lineup.

Jerami Grant
    James Ennis
    Anthony Tolliver
    Ed Davis
    Glenn Robinson III
    Dante Cunningham

D-rock likes this.
  13. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Harden can log some of his minutes at small forward, with Ariza playing some small ball power forward and Tucker some small ball center. The Rockets could also open up minutes by resting CP3 on one end of back to backs to try and improve the odds of him staying healthy in the playoffs.

In addition, it’s not like Evans, KCP or Barton can realistically play power forward or center in a small ball lineup either. They are strictly shooting guards or small forwards, with Evans and Barton also having the ability to be the third ball handler behind CP3 and Harden.

Point is, you need as much perimeter defense (Bradley) and shooting (Redick) as possible to beat the Warriors. While they wouldn’t be my first choice with the taxpayer MLE, either would be good additions for the Rockets.

14. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

I would love Jerami. I will never stop stanning for Kyle O'Quinn, but it was reported he wants to be @ GSW because of course. In which case I'll stop stanning for him after all.

Nook, xaos, jch1911 and 3 others like this.
  15. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

I don’t get why people are so down on is signing him. He’s one of the few guys I think would take the veterans minimum that’s actually capable of having good games. Players like Tyreke are more likely attainable with the Mid Level. Not many players can come this cheap and to be clear I’m not saying I want heavy minutes for this guy. I realize he’s regressing fast. If CP is healthy with Harden and EG he may not see the floor.

HP3 likes this.
  16. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

His +/-‘s on both ends of the floor are pretty awful, plus he would be a liability in our switch-heavy defense. It’s just a really bad fit.

That said, if he wants to the vet minimum with zero expectations in terms of role and playing time, I’ll listen. I just think there are better instant-offense type players available.

D-rock and HP3 like this.
  17. justtxyank

Nook and BigMaloe like this.
  18. justtxyank

Oquinn is such an intriguing big man. If he goes to golden state that will suck.

19. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Correct me if I’m wrong, but using the entire mle on a player will hard cap is again right?

Not too mention, we have 2 2nd rd picks and other undrafted players we have targeted.

I think we can have like 2 on 2way contracts but whoever we sign, most likely Melton and Edwards, we will have to use part of that mle to do so.

We should be looking at players, like black, we can sign for 1 maybe 2 years at 3-4m range.

Which makes Luc the obvious choice if we can give him slightly more than 120% using the mle we should.

xaos likes this.
  20. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

As soon as he became a FA I figured GSW would be a landing spot for KOQ.

Jerami Grant is interesting. OKC has LT issues. But in the end I think they work something out with Grant at more money than the Rockets could offer.

But I like the idea of infusing the Rockets with more athleticism at the 3/4. Rockets have a lot of ground bound players other than Capela.