1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Let's Select the UT Football coach for 04-05

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Desert Scar, Jan 2, 2004.

1. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

:D Good one.

Young, energetic...Let's give Major a chance.

2. Major

Major Member

or don't watch Texas enough to see the negative predictable influences that play out in Texas's football games.

Someone on Hornfans put it best... more or less:

Good offense: "This is what we're gonna do. Let's see them try to stop us."

Our offense: "The defense is giving us this, so let's take it."

Opposing defense: "If we show this formation, they'll think we're giving them this, and we'll know exactly what's coming."

It's ludicrous. Even better is the 3rd and 9 and we take the 6yd route because "that's what the defense gave us." OF COURSE the defense gave us that - they wanted us to be in 4th and 3!

Young, energetic...Let's give Major a chance.

I would LOVE to be UT's head football coach!

3. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

No one's mentioned it I don't think, but why not Spurrier :p

4. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Mack has the perfect face for UT football and say what you will, is a hell of a recruiter. I think what you see is DKR and the boys make him an offer he can't refuse. You get to be the head coach, all the TV time and all the trips to the high schoolers homes but we are going to hire a couple of top notch coordinators they will bring in there own assistants and they are going to do the actual coaching.

There are no limits to the ego of a moneyed Teasip; so, I don't think the back room boys would allow themselves to be embarassed by actually admitting their hand picked coach is failing.

5. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Arrrrghhh! Why am I defending Mack? Don't make me do it! Stop... arguing... with... me... You're killing me here.

Mack took over a 4-7 football team (and 8-5 in 1996) and made them 9-3 in his first year. Ferentz took a 3-8 football team and made them 1-10 in his first year (and then 3-9 and then 7-5). It took time to make Iowa good. I don't think UT fans can wait 3 years for Ferentz to pay dividends. You guys want Bill Parcells-like performances. You'd be calling for Ferentz's head after the first year alone.

6. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

Mack had Ricky Williams though, I was not aware of anyone on Iowa with a similar pedigree - also, allowing for the differences in recruiting, Texas is able to garner top notch talent, whilst Iowa is not.

The biggest difference is that Mack improved Texas by simply infusing it with talent until it had a stock of talent similar to the top teams in the nation. Ferentz improved a moribund Iowa team also by putting some talent into them - but mostly by coaching them in fundamental ball and creative offense's and solid defenses.

Consider the difference in the ceiling and stability of the two systems. One will never reach it's full potential, and will constantly perform at a level below it's talent, whilst the other will consistently perform at a level on par, or above it's talent. Even with the obvious faults in the loss to Wazzou - what was Mack's answer? - "We need more speed on defense". He doesn't get it, he never will.

Iowa lacked talent, the same cannot be said for Texas.

7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Yes, they were 8-5 in 96 but they also won one of the biggest games in school history on the way to the Fiesta Bowl 2 years before Mack took over. There was also a guy named Ricky Williams at running back that carried the team in 98. Point being that Mack wasn't exactly starting from scratch when he took over.

8. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Did UNC have talent when Brown was there? I know he had a few top guys (like Shaun Ellis), but nowhere near the talent Texas has now. How did he do it at UNC then? Smoke and mirrors? So he had Ricky Williams. Why then did Texas go 4-7 the previous year and improve with Mack?

And ima_drummer2k, Mack DID start from scratch at UNC and managed to turn that team around... just like Ferentz.

I'm not extolling the greatness of Mack here. I'm merely stating that Ferentz may not be "all that." It would suck to fire Mack and bring in a potential clone.

I'd personally rather have Spurrier, anyway, quirks and all. At least he's won a national championship.

9. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

He coached in the ACC, which is alot weaker conference than the big 12. And he had athletes at UNC as well. Holiday, Ekuban, Greg Ellis, Natrone Means, Leon Johnson, Dre Bly, etc.

10. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

My choices are Ferentz, Shannon, Jeff Tedford, Urban Meyer, Bellotti, Venables, Monte Kiffin, and if they would leave Friedgen and Tressel. Spurrier

Ferentz is easily my number one choice. Great coach who has a great ability to create a dominant O-Line. Him with a top notch D-Coordinator and much better athletes than Iowa would be lethal.

Ideally I would have a defense like I saw with USC. Blazing fast, and not focused on size but an optimum combo of size and speed.
    I like the 280-290 but extremely quick and agile D-line they showcased against Michigan.

Offensively, I either want a power running game, or a spread offense, because personally I think running out of the spread is just deadly, especially if you use a mid range passing game. West Virginia and Maryland's offenses are good examples.

In order:

1. Ferentz
    2. Tedford

The rest are about the same to me, but all are damn good choices. I would also consider Miami's O-Line coach too, he's damn good.

Basically, I want a passionate, intelligent, demanding, coach who lives, eats and breathes Texas Football as much as possible.

I would also consider Spurrier, and would take him over Mack.

11. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

This suggestion has absolutely petrified the audience...

12. MustangPride73

I dont think Spurrier would fit. I feel like hed turn V Young in to a WR. Vince doesnt really fit into his system. Steve like's accuarte short passes from a drop back qb, V Young bombs it down the field and is the farthest thing away from a drop back QB

13. Not Chaney

Not Chaney Member

IMO, UT needs a Texas guy to coach the Longhorns. I honestly don't know that is....all the names in this thread are from elsewhere. Why bring in an outsider?
    They need someone who knows the state, traditions, the high schools and can build relationships with the high school coaches.
    I realize recruits aren't an issue for a program like UT....

One other coach not mentioned is West Virgina's Rich Rodriguez.
    He's a top notch prospect, IMO. His name will come up for college and NFL positions soon enough. IIRC, he was the O-coordinator for the Hurricanes prior to W.VA. I doubt he will be there much longer.....

IMO, Kirk Ferentz is NFL bound.

One other thing....Jim Tressel has done a tad bit more than reap the benefits of John Cooper's recruits.

14. tozai

tozai Member

I like hearing this discussion, but it sucks that it's only wishful thinking.

There's so much $, politics, and egos that are behind the whole thing. Don't the regents decide who they want, anyway? It's not like they'd be the ones you want picking the coach.

15. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Ferentz is a great coach, so please take him out of the Big 10.

The guys is a stud and I agree you give him talent and he'd be great.

Belotti is can't miss as well.

Spurrier would win, no doubt, but he's quit his last 2 jobs. Take someone like Ferentz and he'll be there for a long while.

16. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

Not quite who I had in mind, but I would support you, no doubt!

17. surrender

surrender Member

Art Briles

:D

18. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Nevar!!!!!!

19. mduke

mduke Member

Frank Solich

20. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

That's what I began thinking last night. Look what Solich did with Eric Crouch. Now imagine what he could do with Vince Young. Vine Young and Cedric Benson/Selvin Young on the option.:eek: