1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2.0]Cyberex, paging Cyberex...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Two Sandwiches, Feb 17, 2016.

1. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Agree with this.

2. MD_in_Training

Agreed. You either pay CC/land Lebron, or you blow it up. Anything in between would make zero sense whatsoever.

3. HTM

HTM Member

It also isn't that close to Warriors good either.

4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I mean... we kind of say that every year.

Just inching inching closer!

I mean Anderson gets paid so much you could replace his $20 million with some REAL talent.

But in either case, just working with who the free agents are. Do we really get over the hump if we somehow added Aaron Gordon for example? Or Julius Randle (whom I actually would love to add). Or Will Barton? Or JJ Reddick? or Greg Monroe? Or Thaddeus Young?

Don't get me wrong... I am super critical of Ariza in Game 7. Of our forwards generally. But for every crappy offensive game they gave you, they did do some of those little things that you'd lose with an Aaron Gordon for example.

This list probably needs to be updated, but here's a FA ranking from a couple months ago: https://hoopshype.com/2018/04/22/nba-free-agency-2018-the-top-players-2/

Look where Ariza is, lol.

Then the trade route. The random Jimmy Butler comment for example. Well there, clearly its a HUGE injury risk. I get DM's variance... I just find it disingenuous for fans to be like "only if CP3 didn't get injured". He DID get injured and the surprising part was that it happened so late in the playoffs, not that it happened. It'd be the same thing with Butler. Nevermind the fact that you got to give to get. They ain't giving you Jimmy Butler for Ryan Anderson and a 1st round pick.

In any case, as with last offseason, maybe you get lucky, the GSW get injured again - be it bigger or "smaller" as in the case with Iggy - and Harden, CP3, Gordon and Capela all stay healthy and you can somehow add an "impact" forward... and then sure... you inch that one inch forward and finally get over the hump.

It's a ton of IFs.. and I'll certainly be watching for it whether Lebron joins or not.

But absent Lebron, my hopes will be for it to inch closer, but my expectations will be to lose in the WCF again, for whatever that's worth.

5. The Cat

I don't know about 65 games, but do I think they'd have a real shot against the Warriors in a series again? Yes. Particularly if CP3 and Luc are healthy, and they're able to use the MLE this offseason to fortify the end-of-bench depth (i.e. upgrade guys like Joe, Ryan, Nene).

That said, if you're more pessimistic for whatever reason, that's fine. I just don't see why it would make sense to sign a 34-year-old Chris Paul (that's what he'll be next postseason) if your view is that the team as currently constructed isn't a legit contender. Because it's not like Chris Paul is going to be a positive trade asset on that contract in his mid 30s. The only reason you sign CP3 is if you think the team has a real chance. It doesn't without Capela.

#225 The Cat, Jun 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
  6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Duly noted, I would have loved the Finals more. So close.
    [​IMG]

don grahamleone, topfive and DonKnock like this.
  7. Bobsputin

Bobsputin Member

Someone just needs to tell LeBron that it has been decided he is coming to Houston for $X, we matched Capela. He gets to play with CP3 and Harden. It's a done deal. That will ease his mind and he can then enjoy the off-season and we can all relax.

simple.

8. cyberx

cyberx Member

I also e
    Not at all. I was just saying it would be a competitive team. Just showing you Lebrons options.

DonKnock and HTM like this.
  9. The Cat

Eh. Even if you don't land LeBron, I'm fine re-signing Paul and Capela to max deals (though I'd try to limit CP's years, if at all possible). To me, the current team showed enough, even if there's no LeBron or PG.

Bring back the same squad that was up 3-2 before CP's injury, hope for better health from CP and Luc, plus use the Taxpayer MLE to fortify the end-of-the-bench slots? I saw enough this year that I think that's worth the investment, even though it would understandably be a bit of a letdown relative to our current dreams of LeBron.

That said, I think we're in agreement on the main point — there's no reason to go all-in for CP3 but not for Capela. Or vice versa. If your belief is that both will ultimately end up as unfavorable contracts, the only reason it makes sense to do it is if there's upside for you as a team to contend for a ring (i.e. less likely you'd need/want to move one at a later date). If you sign one to a max deal without the other, you're essentially adding an unfavorable contract when the "upside" is winning 50-55 games in an era of the most talented team ever. Pass.

10. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

Are there any good crazy dudes in free agency? All the best championship teams have one crazy dude... only one tho cause they tend to breed if you have two.

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

PJ Tucker is a good kind of crazy, crazy about fashion, crazy about corner 3s, crazy about dat D.

12. 13BeardsIN1

13BeardsIN1 Member

I have a feeling that we're going to look at Capela like the Wizards look at Otto. We have to pay him but...he will be severely overpaid IMO. I wouldn't pay him over 15M a year.

Little Bit and saleem like this.
  13. tc0330

tc0330 Member

Rockets literally made Capella who he is today and gave him all the stats he's got yearly. If i'm not mistaken, he was pretty upset about being drafted by the Rockets in the first place. And look at him now...as if he hasn't made a name for himself now lol...

14. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

The Rockets can't clear cap room to get the job done, for Lebron. That's the bottom line. There might be a remote chance if Tucker, Gordon, multiple picks etc are acceptable to Cleveland, provided if Lebron forces his way to Houston.

15. YOLO

YOLO Member

where in the world did you pluck this outrageous thought from

don grahamleone and Mazulis like this.
  16. tc0330

tc0330 Member

I swear I remember it on draft night. Maybe im trippin

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

never happened. what you are probably referring to is people on the outside hating the pick.

18. tc0330

tc0330 Member

You're probably right. Im r****ded. My bad, long day

19. cyberx

cyberx Member

july 1st is going to be so fun.

20. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

He's making assumptions because not all overseas talents that are drafted by the Rockets want to be stashes... which some assumed he would be at the time of being drafted.

Hartenstein would be the latest on the list of guys not wanting to play overseas with thoughts of him being near NBA ready... his own thoughts, of course.