1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hey why don't you want Lebron?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by 1Deep, Jun 1, 2018.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I figure but personally I only met 'Honey Bear' ronny.

2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

No, sorry, fans can have different opinions.

To some of us, getting LBJ makes us no better than the Worriers. It's a cheat code for a video game.

Sure, he's great. Sure, we should win a chip w him. Sure, it's sweeter if our franken-team wins instead of their franken-team, but it's still a franken-team and less interesting to some of us.

But I'll always be a Rox fan either way!

3. JonesDaddy

JonesDaddy Contributing Member

I've lived outside of Cleveland for the last 17+ years and have had a front row seat for all of the Lebron coverage. The reasons I'm on the fence about a Lebron acquisition are primarily based on age and drama.

Lebron is 33 and is playing amazing, but how long can he keep it up?
    Everyone marveled about how well Steve Nash played when he was like 38, but then he went from high level competing to barely playing again over the course of an off-season.
    If we could add Lebron without giving up much, then it's a no brainer.
    If we have to give up 19, 21, and maybe 23 first round picks for him, then the risk of becoming the new Nets is real.
    I worry Lebron's career will end very similar to Kobe's (gets first major injury, rehabs aggressively, 2nd injury from rehab or compensating, and so on).

Drama:
    Everywhere Lebron has went, he has had a lot of influence in front office moves. The Cavs, Heat, and Cavs again have all made short sighted moves to acquiesce to Lebron's desires. So those teams compete for a few years and are left in shambles when he leaves. Houston has the rare philosophical alignment between GM, Coach, and star player. This season, the Rockets locker room and chemistry seemed to be the best it's been in years. Whereas, the Cavs have been crazy drama since Lebron came back.
    If Lebron is willing to JOIN the team as it is vs. trying to dictate the team's moves, then again, it's a no brainer.
    However, if he comes in trying to influence the team's moves and creating drama, is he worth it?
    How would Harden respond to Lebron's arrival?
    CP3 came in and basically acknowledged he was joining Harden's team.
    Lebron typically makes teams his.
    Can Harden be the #2 player on a team now?
    Does it make sense to potentially alienate your in his prime star for a bigger, but older star that is inevitably due to decline?
    This season everyone may prefer Lebron to Harden, but will that be true in 2 years when Lebron is 35?
    If Lebron comes to Houston looking to be the Kareem to Harden's Magic, then it could really extend his window to contend.
    Lebron, CP3, and whatever older guys can transition to becoming super high level role players while leaning on the youth of Harden and Clint.
    In many ways, that's what the Spurs have been able to accomplish with Manu and Parker (only they were never as good as CP3 and LBJ)

For Lebron, his dominance has always been such that it outweighs his negatives, but I worry about being the team that has him under contract when the performance doesn't outweigh the drama.

Richie_Rich and waytookrzy079 like this.
  4. YOLO

YOLO Member

rockets were good enough to win a championship without him. that's a reason why i wouldn't care if he was here or not.

bro2044 likes this.
  5. SteveFTB

SteveFTB Member

That's it! I don't want LeBron, it's the best player of the last 10-12 years but I want that CP3 e Harden win buy their own. I want to see a revenge from THIS team against GSW

Vanilla Thunder likes this.
  6. bawanyh

bawanyh Member

So lot of LeBron treads era beginning yet?

7. apollo33

apollo33 Member

to be perfectly honest, I'm more iffy about having Chris Paul here than Lebron.

I know he did a lot for us this off season and we couldn't have asked more from him, but he's so damn fragile. How can we gamble such a huge part of the cap on him when he breaks down even when he didn't play a full season this year while sharing minutes with Harden.

If we sign CP3, I'm for resting him until March. Lebron and Harden are super human, they can win regular season games all by themselves

8. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

The only correct answer would be "cause I'm a dumb ass that doesn't know anything about basketball"

9. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

Regarding the drama part - i dont recall much of that FO drama in Miami because of Pat Riley (i could be wrong). I lived in Cleveland from 2013-2017, and it's pretty well known that the Cavs FO is always a mess because of Dan Gilbert. One of the reasons why Lebron was PO'd about David Griffin being let go as GM was because Lebron trusted him.

The big thing in Houston, is that there's already a FO that
    1) already has a great relationship between star players and FO
    2) knows what they're doing and has their star players' trust
    3) know how to manage the cap or at least get creative
    4) know how to find "diamond in the rough" type players

I think this is where CP would have to come in and set Lebron and his potential drama straight in the sense of - "Lebron, concentrate playing and winning. Let the FO/Coaching staff do what they do cuz they know what they're doing. The 65-wins wasn't a fluke".

10. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I believe Lebron coming to Houston will hurt the parity of the league. I hope Silver steps in and stops it. ;)

juanm34 likes this.
  11. juanm34

juanm34 Member

F*** Lebron!!!!

I hope he retires a Rocket.

:D

12. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

You realize that if LeBron comes here, it's because Harden has signed off on it, right? In fact, IMO the only way LeBron feels comfortable coming here is if Harden rolls out the red carpet for him. And if Harden is willing to do that (which we don't know yet), why would we as FANS give a **** about who gets the credit when the players themselves don't? It literally makes no sense to say, "B-b-but it wouldn't be OUR championship!" Yes, it would. You know why? Because their jersey says Rockets on the front.

everyday eddie likes this.
  13. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

If the rockets go 4 for 27 instead of 0 for 27 we win. Don't need LeCry

14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I was told on ClutchFans by DaDakota that LeBron is too old.

// Drops 51/8/8 in the Finals while dragging a corpse of a team against 4 All Stars.

15. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Jones Daddy - the Rockets had a little window after winning in '95, especially by bringing in Barkley in '97 and then Quitten in '99. When the **** hit the fan and everybody that was a star either got hurt, old, or had their ego hurt (like Quitten), then we went into massive rebuild mode. Remember the years where Steve Francis was the franchise and if he got hurt, the Rockets were lucky to win 30 games? I would not mind a couple of years of getting younger and having to rebuild if it means multiple championships.

16. bro2044

bro2044 Member

Wow, ^this... exactly how I feel!

17. HP3

HP3 Member

I wanna win and yea great if he comes here, but be real those championships will never mean as much as it would without him. Don't act like people don't have a legitimate reason for feeling a certain way about it

Vanilla Thunder and TheFreak like this.
  18. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Well it has been 23 years and counting since we last won a "chip" and it is not like our FO hasn't tried. Brought in Barkley, tried to rebuild with Francis (*shudders*), had Yao and McGrady, defensive genius coach Van Gundy, high flying offensive coach Adelman, and now Harden first with Dwight Howard and now with CP3. Still waiting......

19. HP3

HP3 Member

Who cares about the Celtics? It's just how somebody feels about it. Its not dumb, I'm all for him coming here, but those championships will never mean as much as doing it without him.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  20. HP3

HP3 Member

So are like 20 plus other franchises.