1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is the 80s the best decade of all time?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by VanityHalfBlack, May 8, 2018.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

The answer is yes, the 80's was the best.

But also, the below statement is correct.

2. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

It's great for movies to not have phones. When you are alive it basically sucks tho.

3. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

No phones? What the hell was i talking to my friends on? I coulda sworn there things called call waiting and three way calling that was all the rave. Maybe it was all a dream......

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  4. Bandwagoner

I was talking about cell/mobile/car/smart phone grandpa. Not Alexander Graham Bell switchboards.

5. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I always thought the 80s were a trashy hangover decade from the drug fueled orgy ridden 70s. There was stagflation, aids, and the inner cities you see in movies were a huge dump. It was a total erosion of post ww2 arrogance and the faded idealism from the 70s culture wars (+Vietnam).

Now I realize that decade is among the most culturally unique compared to what come after it. I'll still watch a gratuitously violent Paul veerhoven movie with it's satirical undertones over any 90s or 00 action blockbuster

Maybe I'm getting old but the songs and genres have become a big blur in the last two decades. More evolution than revolutions.

With all this cg stuff and everything in digital memory, it might be the last authentic decade

#25 Invisible Fan, May 8, 2018
    Last edited: May 8, 2018
    Deckard likes this.
  6. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

Yes

7. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

Haha we had phones but there’s only so much you can talk to another person about. We weren’t glued to them like we are now. We actually spent time with one another.

Joshfast likes this.
  8. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

My formative years were late 80s and early 90s. Probably a little more skewed towards the 90s, so that is typically what I identify with. That being said, I can see how 80s could be rated higher. Probably a little more carefree, and didn't have the late 90s bringing the decade down.

To any geezers, how were the 50s and 60s? Seems like overall it would be a pretty cool time to be alive in the idealized sense that those decades are portrayed in movies and TV shows..

VanityHalfBlack and Ubiquitin like this.
  9. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I wish we could get back to the mid 1980s completely.

10. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

[​IMG]

11. K mf G

Well back in my day, we paid attention to these things called details. It wouldn't hurt you young whipper snappers to orient yourselves with some of those.

Bandwagoner likes this.
  12. Bandwagoner

It's pretty much mandatory for movies . 80s horror movies would all be solve with phones that don't have lines to be cut.

13. K mf G

BTW, the answer is no. The 90's were the greatest.

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Thanks, Buck. Yeah, I can chime in. I thought the '80's sucked. The only good thing about the decade, besides some films (Blade Runner in '82, for example) and some music here and there, at least for me and my significant other, was moving to Austin from Houston in 1980. I'm sure I've forgotten a few other things I liked during the '80's, but they don't come to mind at the moment. The problem many of you obviously have is that you were either children or teenagers during the '80's. It was basically the decade you grew up in, so of course most of you have positive memories. That doesn't apply to me.

The 1960's and '70's (and I view the early '80's more as an extension of the '70's, btw) were incredible. A deluge of music. Every week, great new songs and LP's were released, with new groups, singers, and musicians blowing everyone's minds. The cost of living was very low. An example? In the late '60's, I shared a big two story house in the Montrose area with a friend (and a chick, but I didn't make her pay rent) for $130 a month, bills paid. That was $65 bucks for me. Later, during the early '70's, I had a garage apartment 2 blocks from Hermann Park for $65, bills paid. I could pay my bills with a part-time job.

The highest ticket price for a rock/blues concert was $5, and when it went up to $6, there were demonstrations in front of the Music Hall (I participated, and managed to sneak in to see Spirit with a girlfriend during the beautiful chaos). No service charges. You bought your tickets at a record store or a place like Foley's. You could take a chick out for a nice dinner and a concert at the Music Hall for $25 (I paid $3.50 for good seats (second row, lower balcony) to see Led Zep in the first surround sound concert in Houston). A lid (more or less an ounce) of green was $10. A fifth of Hornitos was $10.39. I particularly recall that because we consumed a lot of Rita's back then (not so much now).

I could go on. I'm sorry so many of you hated the '70's (and missed the '60's), but many of you were too young to appreciate it. I could talk about the differences between the '60's/'70's versus the '80's for a very long time, but we're in Dallas to see our youngest kid graduate with honors, summa c*m laude. Not bad! :cool:

ROCKSS, K mf G, GIGO and 2 others like this.
  15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Highest crime rates. Crack epidemic. A blossoming AIDS epidemic we had no idea what to do about. Evil Empire. Oil bust. Not sure what's so great about it.

Being a white dude, if I had my druthers, I'd take the '50s. Greatest Generation. WWII is over, and US economy is growing like crazy. Large expansion of the middle class with good paying jobs you could get with just a high school diploma, maybe less. Big advances in technology, in the arts, building like crazy, the interstate system, the airport system. Of course, I wouldn't be able to marry my wife. So maybe I'd settle for the 1960s.

plutoblue11, GIGO and Deckard like this.
  16. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

17. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

did you know there was a limit of five videos per clutchfans post? now you know

#37 Os Trigonum, May 8, 2018
    Last edited: May 8, 2018
    ROCKSS likes this.
  18. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

the jury is still out on the 1960s :D

19. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

and here's definitive proof that the 80s are the greatest decade of all time

Deckard likes this.
  20. G Zus Kryst

G Zus Kryst Rookie

2020's dood