1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN’s Royce Young: Harden Is Ruining Pro Sports/Stepback Should Be Banned

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DonKnock, Apr 17, 2018.

1. JVL713

JVL713 Contributing Member

I really don't understand how this is even a topic of conversation. There is a definitive rule and NBA officials have confirmed that it is legal. It's really not even subjective.

2. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

He doesn't at all, he is rarely is that emotional leader, but there are a lot of star/superstar players that are not either. Its one thing to not report as heavily on them (the way the media did with like someone like Duncan) its another to go out of their way to put out a "negative" agenda behind it. Like to me there is definitely a driving force behind this to lower Harden's star power. Players view him way differently than the rest of the media (and thus the general public as well). The 'cheap' way to get points at the FT line has never been brought up until Harden. Does Harden flop? I believe he does, but not nearly as much as people make it out to be. I think he flops just as much as LeBron, Curry, Westbrook etc. For example Manu and Wade in their prime IMO flopped way more on offense to get to the line and while it was mentioned a fair amount in the media not to the same degree Harden is. For that matter there was very little credit given to him for the strides he has made on both ends of the floor. When was the last time we've seen someone who was the 6th man be able to go from bench leader to leader of a new team to the playoffs? Granted Harden's situation was unique in that he probably would have started if drafted by any other team besides OKC. But the last few major 6MOY winners like Crawford, JR Smith, Manu, Lou Williams, Odom etc. Would never have been able to carry a team themselves. He has added so much to his game and his playmaking that just goes unappreciated.

IMO the Nike angle is the driving factor. If I remember correctly he signed his huge deal with Adidas two years ago when the team went .500 and under achieved. Now the reason why they underachieved were many dont get me wrong, but Harden still put up amazing stats and was completely left off of any all-NBA team which was ridiculous. Its almost as if Harden needs to have superhuman efforts just to get into the conversation. Him coming in 2nd place (not saying Curry/WB didnt deserve it) was somewhat ridiculous for me because the gap between him and the winner was huge - way bigger than it should have been, but its the media again voting for these. Nike may not vote but they have a lot of advertising money to throw at these different media outlets which speaks volumes.

IMO Harden does have flaws in his game (what superstar doesnt?) but what he has done to elevate his team through multiple roster changes and styles of play has not happened before. I am not saying he shouldn't be criticized, but he should be appreciated.

3. Sajan

Sajan Member

Another idiot reporter.
    He should be focused on how meaningless stats are ruining the mvp award.

4. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I'm surprised Royce is going after Harden like that.

Reporters should be reporting, not explaining NBA rules they do not understand.

5. Tacoma Rocket

Tacoma Rocket Member

DonKnock likes this.
  6. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

One of the things being on top you have to deal with is the hate. People are going to complain about everything and pick you apart on every little thing. Bring the hate!!!! It’s only evidence that people be scared. Lol!

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

he didn't go after him. They asked his opinion and he gave it jokingly.

This is a podcast. Not a news report. It's basketball writers shooting the **** and talking about ball.

****ing snowflakes in here. It's quite depressing.

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

9. TDRox

TDRox Member

I'm just gonna go ahead and assume everyone named "Royce" is an idiot douche from now on.

10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Speaking of the shoe contracts, he signed a lifestyle deal with Adidas, so he's also judged on things off the court...like that garbage with the Khardashians might've put a dent into things.

I don't know. Winning cures everything, right?

11. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

Tired of explaining why is something legal etc...

12. Reeko

Reeko Member

can’t wait to see what they’re crying about with regard to Harden next season

I’m guessing the narrative will be that he pushes off on every drive and should be called for offensive fouls :rolleyes:

lionaire likes this.
  13. lionaire

lionaire Member

For what it's worth, Zach Lowe said on his podcast today that PG is a better ball player than Westbrook lol

#113 lionaire, Apr 17, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  14. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Jonathan Feigen explains why the step back — when executed correctly as Harden almost always does — is perfectly legal:

This OKC blog boy needs to read and learn.

wesbound and BigMaloe like this.
  15. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

tad brown hits back (how can he slap?!!)

16. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

LOL, Ronnie Nun with the benefit of slow motion instant replay...which doesn't exist for traveling in the NBA. If it's only a travel in zoomed in slow motion on a replay, then sorry, it's not traveling. Watching live, he'd be like, "what just happened" like every other ref.

It's fairly obvious that most people who were complaining about the travel were complaining about the gather step (and probably most clueless people are still complaining about that). After being educated, some are now focusing their attention (with the benefit of slow motion replay) on probably the fastest 1-2 hop step in NBA history, and are saying it's actually two steps.

Look, I think overall I agree that in slow motion it's most likely a minor missed travel that happens probably 10 times a game. In fast motion, there's a hop off of his left foot. Both feet are off the ground. All in one fluid motion, his right foot lands further back a few milliseconds before his left toe lands in front as he goes into his jumpshot, and before you know it the shot is away. With all the other blatant calls refs miss every game like moving screens, carries, pivot foot switching, we're going to analyze that bang bang sequence and say refs should have detected that last hop step as actually two steps? Give me a break.

durvasa likes this.
  17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Some things you just have to be good enough to master, and when it comes to the step back, James is the master. The League couldn't outlaw the Dreamshake. There were imitators, but Dream was and will always remain the master. Why would the League want to outlaw greatness? Harden has his flaws, but he's got the best step back or fade away I've ever seen. Any other player is free to do the same thing. Let them try.

DonKnock and durvasa like this.
  18. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

I think some of y'all don't recognize how much power ESPN holds over the league. The ESPN section of the TV deal is the largest source of league revenue ($1.47B/year). The league is going to cater to what its largest funder wants (if it doesn't anger/drive off other sponsors to do so).

Last year ESPN whined all year about Hardens FTs and players resting (cause they were to a certain degree resting for ESPN/ABC games and playing TNT games).

For all their outrage the league responded with the "Harden Rule" and the directive that stars were not to rest during national TV games along with a lengthened schedule to accommodate space to recover between national games.

If ESPN is setting their sights on Harden's stepback there is a very real possibility that there will be some sort of rule change or enforcement shift behind their outrage campaign.

This is the reality we live in, ESPN brought the bag, so ESPN gets what it wants.

fba34 likes this.
  19. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

[​IMG]

20. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

That's just him respecting his peer. Russell's play doesn't affect other all-star talents? Come on bro wake up.