1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's the EAST FINALS Game 2 as Tatum and the Celtics host Haliburton and the Pacers. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

What makes a Superstar & is Francis one?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Hottoddie, Dec 21, 2003.

Tags:
?

Is Francis a true Superstar?

1. Yes

11 vote(s)
    6.8%
  2. No

109 vote(s)
    67.3%
  3. Yes, if moved to SG or another team/system

31 vote(s)
    19.1%
  4. Yes, no matter what, because I'm a homer

5 vote(s)
    3.1%
  5. No, no matter what, because I'm a hata'

2 vote(s)
    1.2%
  6. None of the above

4 vote(s)
    2.5%
  1. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

Does a true Superstar carry a team on his back during crunch time? Does he demand the ball when the game is on the line, hit the big shots, & sink his free throws more often than not during crunch time? Does he show improvement in his game every year & lead by example? Is he willing to adjust his game for the team's best interest? Does he get all of his teammates involved in the game? Does he recognize when a teammate is hotter than anyone else & feed him the ball? Dream did all of this & more.

Or, is a true Superstar just someone that makes the ESPN highlight reel every game?

I've been having doubts lately about Francis's stardom. No one can question his athleticism & talent. But, does he have that little something extra, to become a Superstar? He's been in the league over 4 years now & still hasn't gotten us into the playoffs, even once. There are 29 teams in the league & over half (16) of them make the playoffs every year. Is Francis a true Superstar?

2. iOrange

iOrange Contributing Member

He's a natural SG. I believe he'll be a great SG. I don't understand why people are worried about his lack of size as a SG at the defensive end. He can't defend a PG and he can't defend a SG. what' the difference?

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

let's see him make the playoffs just once before we start throwing around the superstar label.

4. vcchlw

vcchlw Contributing Member

According to your logic:
    SF defend a PG: bad defence
    SF defend a SG: bad defence+height disadvantage

This is a BIG difference! Without good defense, you will let T-Mac and Kobe score 50 points! On the other hand, very few PGs can score more than 30 on SF.

5. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Steve Francis is not a superstar. He is a star on reputation, athleticism and potential. Not on the court performance.

Steve has consistently made mistakes every single year with little or no improvement in his decision making, passing ability and ball handling.

We have been making excuses for him now for going on 5 years and superstars don't need excuses made for them.

We have all seen games where Steve took over and single handedly won the game...even against the Lakers last year with Shaq. That is what is so completely frustrating. Steve has the tools...that is all except one...the brain.

Steve Francis is his own worst enemy and last year when we were in the last two weeks of the season and a 1 game lead on Phoenix for the last play off spot Steve played his worst ball of the year and of course the Rockets lost three games in a row and fell out of the play-offs by 1 game.

Steve Francis is not a super star. He is a legend in his own mind and play grounds around the country but he is no Superstar.

6. TheHorns

TheHorns Member

iOrange, I know you made you statement early on, but by the looks of things you are in the minority if you said you thought he was a superstar.

In response to:
    1) PG's typically are not the top scorers on teams, SG's are. First year players and players and guys who rarely score go off for 25-30 pts on Steve in a wink. When you put a smaller non-defensive Steve against a team's #1 offensive option, it will get really ugly really fast.

2) Just b/c he can't play D against a PG doesn't then make it okay to play him at another postion and get torched worse.

Hell, since Steve does not play D and no one can play regualrly stop Garnett, Shaq and Duncan, just let Steve cover them???

Think about what you are suggesting and tell me how ugly it would be to watch Francis cover:

Kobe, Finley, Pierce, Carter, Magette, Latrell and others. Those guys would drop 50 a night on Stevie

7. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

TheHorns,

I'm sure you know this, but I'll say it anyway. A player can play SG on the offensive side & guard the PG on the defensive end.

If Francis would accept the move to SG, I believe that he could be our version of Iverson, but with a better shooting percentage.

However, as it stands now, I think Mobley would be the better long term choice for us at SG. I can't believe I'm saying this, but as a team player, Mobley plays a lot smarter brand of ball than Francis does. It's true that he doesn't pass as much as he should, but he has a much higher shooting percentage than Francis & yet he's taken 61 less shots than Francis, while playing 22 more minutes. In fact, of the starting five (Francis, Mobley, Yao, Jackson, Cato), Francis only has a better shooting percentage than Jackson & is tied with Kelvin "Freaking" Cato who can only hit dunks. Mobley also plays much stronger defense & has a little more size.

Francis needs to realize that he's having a bad shooting year & start passing the ball to the players that are hitting it. Yao is shooting .502 from the field, while Mobley is shooting at a .450 fg% & .419 3pt%. I could list several more players that are lighting it up, but what's the point.

Until Francis takes on a pass first, shoot second mind set, this team will forever be mired in mediocrity. Thus, we'll never make the playoffs, or get past the first round, if we do manage to get in.

8. Charvo

Charvo Member

I think championship teams must have point guards who can be in control of the offense without any effect from their emotions. Basketball is the only sport in which the counterpart on the other team is playing against you directly. Baseball and football doesn't have this. QB doesn't play against QB. If Stephon was going into the tank yesterday, but it was someone like Joe Johnson going off instead, Steve doesn't make that foul at the end of the game. Yao comes out of the game in the 1st quarter. Suns coach immediately calls a play to have Stephon Marbury drive to the basket right past Steve making him look like a statue on defense. Who thought that was a coincidence? This would not be a big thing if Steve wasn't the primary ball handler, but I think it's gotta be killing Steve in his mind when he's bringing the ball up the court. Every single coach in the NBA will attack Steve on defense not just because it is a great way to score but also because it affects Steve on the offensive end too. Attack Steve and keep him flustered. Was John Stockton ever frustrated on the court? He seemed to be like a robot. Decisionmaking is greatly affected by a person's emotions.

Eric Snow, Bibby, Tony Parker, Jason Kidd, and Steve Nash all have great control over their emotions. Jason Kidd beat up his wife, but that was a long time ago. He seems to control his emotions on the court well. It really wasn't until Kobe got control of his emotions on the court that the Lakers started winning everything.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I have said this many times before.....

Steve Francis gets by on athletic skills alone....his understanding of the game is severly lacking, and once his athleticism deteriorates he will be out of the league.

Players like Stockton, Mark Jackson etc..etc..etc...can get by on average athleticism because they are savvy......

Steve Francis is a great athlete and a less than average ball player.

Once that fades, he is toast.

DD

10. Sane

Sane Member

Francis is not a superstar, and this team realizes that. That's why we're trying to mold him into a damn good support player for Yao. Someone who can take over, but otherwise is in cruise control and attracting attention all the time. He's tryign to learn when to take his shots, when to take over, when to punish the defense, and what intensity he should bring to the court in certain situations.

11. University Blue

...and the longer Houston waits to break up the guard triumvirate, the more time it will take Yao Ming and the team to recover from the on-court, off-court chaos.

At some point, you have to question how Jim Jackson has been so ineffective in Houston (following his performance in Sacramento). The problem with the offense in Houston starts with the players who handle the ball most.

If no changes are made, the first person to go (from a losing team) will be the coach.

(If nothing else, the new president at Rice University and his wife are excited about watching Yao Ming and the Houston Rockets -- not the Steve and Cuttino Show.)

[Side Note: Houston is attracting a lot of transplanted NY'ers: JVG, Pettitte, and David Leebron.]

University (Wishing on a Star) Blue

12. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

What makes a basketball Super Star? Hmmm....

With an admitted "Old School" bias, four things come to mind.

1) An obvious physical advantage for the position one plays. For example imagine:

* Jordan at 6'1" instead of 6'6".
    * Kevin McHale an inch shorter with normally a proportioned arm length.
    * Doctor J with a normally proportioned hands and less "hops".
    * Magic at 6'4"

For todays players, I would say Shaq and Garnett and maybe Dirk are on a short list of the "physically gifted".

2) The ability to "see" the floor. Magic and Jordan could. So could...

Isiah / Stockton / Bird / Kareem / Walton / Tiny Archibald

For todays players, Nash, Kidd, and Vlade (among others) come to mind quickly.

3) An unmistakable but justly deserved level of self-confidence. Old Schoolers which come to mind...Barkley, Big Game James Worthy, Joe Dumars, and to some extent Moses Malone are examples. Perhaps Reggie Miller fits here as well.

For todays players, Kobe (ugh, that hurts) and Paul Pierce come to mind. I'm sure there are others but I'm drawing a blank. I just don't see Vince Carter or McGrady as having proven anything...yet. Michael Redd could get there someday.

4) Drive. No other way to put it. The desire to overcome ones physical limitations coupled with the burning need to succeed. Though not the tallest nor strongest Center in a era of very good (dare I say great?) big men, Olajuwon is almost singularly the best example. Barkley and Bird are worth mentioning.

Among todays players with that characteristic are Iverson and Tim Duncan. If there were a 2nd tier, I'd have to include Kirilenko. Many posters hate him, but Kenyon Martin plays with passion and drive. (Not calling Martin a "Superstar" justing using him as an example).

From my list, I'd have to say Steve Francis basically only shares "drive" with the Old School "Stars". But he should take solace in the fact being a Super Star is no guarantee of getting a ring. Ask Sir Charles! ;)

13. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Not a baseball fan but I thought Pettite was from Deer Park?

14. yaopao

yaopao Contributing Member

By my definition a star player is someone who makes the other players around him better. I'd be lying if I said that Francis makes others around him better.

15. canoner2002

canoner2002 Contributing Member

SF doesn't have the IQ to be a superstar. He doesn't play smart, period.

16. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

That's what I've been saying in the past. People here live in their dreams, are fooled by the flash stuff. A good athlete does not equal to a good basketball player. This league has always had great athlete, but not that many became great basketball players.

Francis is a terrific athlete, but an average bball player. Everyone makes to this level has talent, majority of them can score 20+ a game if given the opportunity, just look at Murry, Zach, j. O'Neal, Mobley. At the the end of the game, you are evaluated by how much you win, not your individual stats.

So far, Francis hasn't prove he could be a winner YET, but I'm still hopeful.:)

--daoshi

17. striker

striker Member

Francis never was, isn't, and never will be a superstar. A superstar is a guy who surrounded by a couple of good, not great, players and a few good roles players gives you a shot at a championship. Even if he's surrounded ony by a bunch of fairly average role players he'll get you into the playoffs year in and year out. Francis isn't anywhere close to that. Right now, as a PG anyway, Francis is trying to become a role player, and an overpriced one at that.

18. yipengzhao

yipengzhao Contributing Member

The difference between superstar and star is the difference between iverson and francis.

francis is good, but not a superstar. he, like ray allen, has the stuff to become one, but isn't one, yet.

19. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

51:2 Ouch!

The masses have spoken! Now Imporer Alexander must take action!

20. Xenogears

Xenogears Member

Exactly, he's no superstar. He was given the franchise lable and has yet to earn it. Name one superstar who hasn't taken their team to the playoffs?