1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anyway to get yao to toughen up?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by afa2352, Dec 16, 2003.

Tags:
  1. afa2352

afa2352 Member

There is no doubt that Yao has the ability to be a dominanting force every game, but i don't think he is aggressive enough, which is really hindering his game. Imagine how good yao would be if instead of just settling for a fadeway jumper or hook, he just used his size for positioning and powered for a dunk. I really like yao but he will never be a great center like the dream unless he develop the mental toughness all the greats have. WE NEED YAO TO BE MORE AGGRESSIVE, PLEASE.

2. bigballerj

bigballerj Member

The only way Yao will be aggresive if they:

1) Dismantle the team around him or
    2) Trade him to another team

Yao is picking up alot of bad habits and needs new teammates.

3. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

Trade him.

Then he may wakeup, don't treat him like baby. Don't give him anymore time. Now

4. codell

codell Contributing Member

Holy cow. Im dying to see how you came up these conclusions. :eek:

5. robbarnett

robbarnett Member

I'm tired of hearing excuses as to why he is so soft. He just has to come in and play hard every game. I think the only way he will learn if for JVG to come down on him hard, it sounds like its the only thing that frightens him enough to make an effort.

6. Charvo

Charvo Member

Golden State will give two #1 draft picks and Dunleavy for Yao.

7. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Yes, it's his teammates fault for not be aggresive enough. Give me a break.

It's becoming obvious that Yao will never be the go to guy on a team like Shaq, Olajuwon, or Garnett are. He is simply a second-tier star, which there is nothing wrong with.

8. 12345

12345 Member

2 1st round draft picks AND Dunleavy for Yao? I don't think they want him this badly!

9. lovethisgametoo

I just watched the game with Wolves on NBA TV, a very frustrating game. Same as the whole team, Yao Ming is very frustrating to watch. He could not grab a damn rebound, could not catch any less-than-perfect pass. Timberwolves announcers said that part of the reason Houston players do not buy into the new play system (Yao-oriented offense) is that Yao can not catch the ball as well as K Garnet can.

But I don't think this situation can be changed by forcing Yao to play tough - because he is unable to due to lack of athletism and quickness. On the other hand, his strength is court vision and team offense/defense. I don't know exactly how to achieve this, but take a look at the offense of Kings and Jazz, JVG has no clue about how to coach a smart game.

We need a better offense system, a motion offense, smart offense, and team offense.

10. Charvo

Charvo Member

They are already cap planning for him with dumping Jamison and Fortson for nothing. It's really a business decision more than a talent decision. Golden State Warriors reside in an area in which the demographics support Yao a lot. I believe Toyota is taking their name off the Toyota Center if Yao leaves. They are giving the naming rights money to the Golden State Warriors.

11. Charvo

Charvo Member

Someone please get Van Gundy some gametapes of the Kings.

12. SLA

SLA Member

Well first he needs to wake up! It looks like he is asleep while we're on offense...and dozing off when we're on defense...maybe he is sick or just very tired or cold! Then he needs to pay attention...and well we saw him in the Asian games be very aggressive and like dominant. I wish he could do that. But he needs to make his shots when he gets them. I think he will be a 20/10 guy....maximum. Our offense just looks horrible altogether. Screwed up. Well Yao can be aggressive but I still don't see how it will help..he is just too slow to react or do anything...he'll have to foul...he has to endure the constant doubleteams. :p And secret fouls. Just keep on getting stronger Yao! :(

13. Visagial

Visagial Contributing Member

yao is starting to look like eddie griffin, penny hardaway, rasheed wallace... guys who could have been great but never put in the effort on this court and never developed the right attitude.

I say take the trade with GS. I could see them giving up 3 #1 picks and anyone we want on their roster. Two #1s and Erik Dampier would be a great trade. We could turn the offense back to Steve and Cat and would have a great rebounding and defensive center.

14. sup123

sup123 Member

i was just about to say the same thing (like rasheed and comes to play when he wants to)

15. Charvo

Charvo Member

I doubt they trade Dampier. Dampier is a nice center. They'll trade Dunleavy because the Cardinal guy is playing well. CD just needs to pick up the phone.

16. fietguy

fietguy Member

did you guys not watch tonites game?

Yao established deep position consistently, he WAS aggressive tonite...

the problem was he missed his shots, and didn't take any shots afterthat...

his first two touches in the game, did you see how deep he got...he just missed the bleeping shots...

call the game for what it is, you can't just label Yao as being soft for his life and assume everytime he has a bad game he is playing soft, which just isn't the case...

fella just missed shots, and didn't take any after that...

by the way, he wasn't the only rocket missing shots

17. Valiant

Valiant New Member

OK ,please trade yao for Nesterovic&Malik Rose!!!!!
    please!!

18. Visagial

Visagial Contributing Member

fiet, i posted the same thing you wrote but in the game thread. except that yao looked like he wasn't trying at all tonight. he did establish deep position in the post and could have dominated but his lack of effort on defense and on the boards really hurt the team and probably made it so they wouldn't pass to him.

dude was sleep walking most of the time, i'm sorry.

19. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

I don't know what game you were watching but I was there in the Target Center and Yao looked terrible. Deep position. He got boxed out almost every time. He made one good play but other than that even Fred Hoiberg was boxing him out. True the Rox weren't passing to him but he couldn't hold onto the ball a few times they threw it to him. On top of all that the guy was sucking wind halfway through the first quarter.

I don't know what Yao needs but whatever he's got it aint working.

20. almostReady

almostReady Member

Fine him $50,000 each time when his rebounds are less than fifteen. And give the money to Shaq's charity fund.