1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gerald Green's defense

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Will, Feb 4, 2018.

1. RocketsTerps

RocketsTerps Member

Agreed. Currently on ESPN...

2. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

3. Victorious

Victorious Member

This is ridiculous. Nobody has minutes guaranteed into their contact lol Mike could give him minutes if he wanted to do so. But he mentioned, he rather have one guy gripe about minutes than 4 guys

hakeem94 and justtxyank like this.
  4. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

You're clueless.

RocketsTerps and justtxyank like this.
  5. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Dafuq?!#?

justtxyank likes this.
  6. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

Green is the Rockets version of the Warriors Green.

hakeem94 likes this.
  7. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

i hear hes the cousin of green from san antonio, is that true?

DonKnock likes this.
  8. noscrusir

noscrusir Contributing Member

No Rockets player loves the city of Houston more than Gerald Green. Glad he's on our team and that he's playing well.

DonKnock, D-rock and MarioKissoDeath like this.
  9. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

Yes he is.

I have been following Gerald Green since his Phoenix Suns days and later his stint with Miami Heat. On both teams he was Dragic's teammate.

Not sure how to explain it...he works best when someone is "thinking" for him on offense. Dragic knew exactly when to pass him the ball and when not to. Here, he has at least one world-class PG next to him at all times, so his offense can be maximized even more.

He's a streaky shooter, but I like him more than JR Smith, for example. When he is on, he can change the outcome of the game with his 3s and his energy. When he is off, he can shoot you out of the game if you rely on him too much. Luckily, we don't have to as much as Suns did and Miami to an extent.

10. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

I agree and its not hard to explain; Green has very low BBIQ and court awareness in general. Combine that with his aggressive trigger and range, what you get is a radical boom or bust type player. There is a reason why he bounced around the league until he bounced out. Put him next to someone like CP3/Harden who can get him open looks and that guy will bring home the bacon more often than not. Leave him on his own however, and most of the time it is NOT pretty.

Koperboy and hakeem94 like this.
  11. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I made a comment about RJ Hunter foot work/ base of support being off prior to his shot; perhaps
    creating inconsistencies on the long range shots (when RJ was signed).

Ever since then I’ve noticed Gerald Greens shot has been off. When Green joined the Rockets he
    was shootng lights out on 3’s. I noticed Green would turn at the hips counter-clockwise as he
    released his shot. Now he is staying squared at the hips throughout his shot; which seems to
    hamper his shot.

With Green I would rather he turn his right hip counter-clockwise through the release of his shot.
    Looks to me like he uses the torque his body generates while turning to get off his best accuracy
    on his 3-Point shots.

It comes out in the clips present here. One wouldn’t teach someone to swing a bat like Jeff Bagwell; but
    it worked for Jeff. One wouldn’t teach someone to shoot for distance like Green; but it works for him.
    Keep turning your hip into your shot Gerald.

DonKnock likes this.
  12. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Green's natural shooting rhythm is more like Lou than CP3 in the sense that he shoots better on the move.

DonKnock and ApacheWarrior like this.
  13. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Very true. But he was also good on catch in shoot initially when we signed him. I was very impressed with
    his quick release. I didn’t realize how quick it is.

Kenny Smith had an awkward hurricane spin to the ball. But as long as he made his 3’s, we didn’t care.

Greens defense is improving. He will be ok.

DonKnock likes this.
  14. D-rock

D-rock Member

If Rockets do not make any moves by deadline then I'd like to see Green at backup 4 spot. Have him focus on one specific role - rebounding, rim protection, spreading floor on O, defending bigs, etc.

If Ryno cold, then stick Green in for a heat check.

Little Bit and eric.81 like this.
  15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am happy to have Green but I think he doesn't have much basketball IQ and would rather play Ariza for the most part. It's nice to have Green come off the bench for a spark plug type role but his defense is pretty bad. Sure he can make some great individual plays but he's pretty clueless in other aspects.

16. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

I'm not talking about guaranteed minutes being written in black and white. Certain players are promised starting roles or told the amount of minutes they'll be given. What IS in black and white is certain bonuses or incentives they can earn depending on their point average, rebounds, etc... but i'm not going back and forth with anyone on here. These are facts, not my opinion.

17. SLRokJok

SLRokJok Member

Green deserves to play more. I like that he shows emotion, it can spark a team, something that's good to see when main guys like ariza and harden are not as outgoing if u will

18. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

If GG is going to take minutes from anyone it would be EG .... Not Ariza , Luc or PJ.

19. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I think he is the kind of player where you might get his best years in his early 30's and it certainly doesn't hurt to be signed out of nowhere, to his hometown team, which is seriously contending for a title. He is still more athletic than most of last year's first round picks and he has had years of experience now.

As long as he tries hard on defense he can be a critical bench player for this team. Gordon, Green and Nene on the floor with Chris Paul at PG = pretty damn lethal.

20. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

Gerald Green was just lacking on his defensive game. He will be an awesom 2, 3 and half court 4.