1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Greg Monroe just got bought out by the Suns.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Snow Villiers, Jan 31, 2018.

1. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

After how he elevated IT, Stevens is the one guy who might make Greg Monroe a winner.

I don't think they should touch him.

2. Pass 1st shoot 2nd

Pass 1st shoot 2nd Contributing Member

malakas likes this.
  3. malakas

malakas Member

The benching in Detroit was because he was forced to play out of position to coexist with Drummond. He's not a pf.
    And the so called benching in Milwaukee was in reality a token benching. He entered the game 3 minutes in and he was the one to finish the games.

He had become the scapegoat in his first year.
    Because the previous year the defence rating was no 2 so the easy target was him for suddendly falling to the 20s. It took a while for the fans and the analysts who paid attention (so basically 2-3) to realise that it was not because of him but because the teams had scouted and completely solved Kidd's gimmick of blitzing.
    In his second and third year before he got traded the opinion turned completely on him but it was too late since his reputation was already destroyed.
    He was also very very good in the playoffs.

He is a decent defender in the post and in pnr. He's no rim protector but that's not all there is in center defence.

Anyway I myself am guilty for blaming and scapegoating him so I'm happy if I see him actually with a good coach now.
    If you ask the fans now if they wish him to come back 100% will say heck yes. And he would become the starter.

If he goes to the Pelicans that would be a major mistake.

jch1911, s3ts and baller4life315 like this.
  4. D-rock

D-rock Member

Would be funny if he signs with Bucks. They are hunting for centers too.

don grahamleone likes this.
  5. HOUSTON2017

HOUSTON2017 Member

NENE and Capela suck at defense.

6. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Clint is posting his best season ever defensively, but sure.

bacliff and hakeem94 like this.
  7. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

8. HOUSTON2017

HOUSTON2017 Member

He gets destroyed consistency in the paint

9. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I think he's serviceable as a backup C.

Would be cool for us to get him on the cheap. His playmaking from the high post could give us that 4th playmaker we've been looking for (after Harden, CP, and EG).

His defense is what it is but a cheap playmaker that can matchup with Draymond on the post could help us quite a bit in the playoffs.

joshuaao likes this.
  10. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

He has good and bad matchups, but calling him bad defensively or getting destroyed consistently is ridiculous.

jch1911 likes this.
  11. HOUSTON2017

HOUSTON2017 Member

your right, he does have his bad match ups (im not saying his the worst defender, but he does tend to get beat up
    very often in the paint, and i think that will hurt us in the playoffs

12. Vivi

Vivi Member

And you want Monroe (a guy who hasn't been able to start in 9 years in the league because of that) to solve the problem? Ok.

13. HOUSTON2017

HOUSTON2017 Member

14. Vivi

Vivi Member

@HOUSTON2017

I'd take him if he wants to be here from the bench, i'm not exactly trilled by Nene so far this season...Monroe is a complete center on offense, can score in different ways and he's a good passer, but he's definitely not a guy you want to sign and play for his defense, if you think Capela and Nene (at least when healty) suck on defense Monroe is not exactly the guy you want to sign then.

15. HOUSTON2017

HOUSTON2017 Member

Yes hes a very skilled offensive guy (and would thrive with CP3 and Harden) I think we can give him Nene and Capela rest minutes (looks like Black has fallen from the rotation) I think he could be our Speights) Like Speights was for the warriors

bacliff likes this.
  16. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I initially thought he wasn't for us, but I also admit that I don't know a ton about Greg Monroe. He's never been on a team I respect as a contender that might prevent us from winning a championship.

In comes @malakas and she says he's definitely worth a look. Clutch says no.

I trust both folks on here so I went and did some research. Greg Monroe is a far superior passer to any center on our roster. He snaps passes to very good places while he's being defended very well. He completely understands the spacing he needs to work. He's probably bigger than Nene. No more getting pushed around when he's in the lineup. In fact, he Ne and Cap could wear opposing bigs pretty thin. Monroe looks like he's built to beat the Spurs. When he attacks and gets closed off, he looks for others that can attack the rim from a different angle. Dude REALLY really understands PnR offensively.

Things he's good at, he's good at. So I got curious about him versus the Golden State Warriors. The game I research, his team was +17 and you could tell why. He doesn't fall for that cutesy passing down low that the Warriors thrive on. Their threes are big, but their open rim finishing off of little passes is what makes them truly tick. He is excellent at dealing with that type of play.

If I'm Morey, I give him a serious look. He'll be good where we're weak.

I doubt we'll love him on a daily basis because he looks like he doesn't run the court hard, but against the Warriors, the Pelicans, Spurs, etc... I think we'll like him a lot for what he is good at.

#96 don grahamleone, Feb 1, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
    bacliff, jch1911 and malakas like this.
  17. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Vivi likes this.
  18. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Looks like pelicans and Celtics only teams being considered.

Very curious to see what happens with Lopez

malakas likes this.