1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

D’Antoni: The rotations are what they are!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OTMax, Jan 22, 2018.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

one night people are just complaining about how bad houstons defense is just trash. then if thats fine, ohh the offense is struggling. so the answer is to plug in a guy at the end of the bench automatically, despite winning the game. good ole cf's have to find a reason to complain about any and every little thing

2. OTMax

OTMax Member

Uhm not sure what you are responding to since I didn’t talk of back-to-backs and this game wasn’t a part of one..you obviously don’t understand. I am saying Ariza or whomever playing more minutes in a game he’s doing well is fine..and giving Green a chance in a game and especially a quarter where 3 guys in particular don’t give you much on offense would make sense.

3. hieuytran

hieuytran Member

Some people just aren't happy even when we win.

"We need to play Green" ...Green gets 5 minutes..."we didn't play Green enough"

There's a reason he has bounce around in the league and was sitting on the couch before we signed him..he's serviceable for when it is needed but a 9 man regular rotation is not the end of the world

D-rock and justtxyank like this.
  4. tnopham

tnopham Member

2017 Coach of the Year.

Pretty sure he knows what he's doing better than any of us.

5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

No YOU obviously don't understand. :p

Back to back games, as in the last two games in a row.

3 point shooting is volatile. If your plan is to simply pull anyone who gets off to a slow start then you wouldn't get to see them correct it.

Missing the previous shot has nothing to do with missing the next shot. Guys, like Gordon, start 0/4 from 3 and end up 4/8 frequently. If you pull them or cut their minutes you can change all of that.

D'Antoni isn't going to play a 10 man rotation in the playoffs and he has said he wants guys to spend time right now getting used to their roles as they will be in the playoffs.

D-rock and topfive like this.
  6. topfive

topfive CF OG

We lost by 7 points. If MDA had taken out the big guns a minute or two earlier, we might have actually LOST the game because the Mavs were still playing hard.

7. foggy94

foggy94 Member

In other news Clint's minutes are slowly going up, in 11 games in January he's averaging 28.4 (obviously a career high). 4 games with over 30 mins in the last 8 too.

fattz, D-rock and justtxyank like this.
  8. marky :)

marky :) Member

Wtf are we actually complaining about now?

MDA played 10 people last night with Harden/CP3 only playing 30 mins...Oh and we won...

fattz, hieuytran, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  9. jogo

jogo Member

Last night really is an example that MDA knows what he's doing. We lose big leads late in games when we put in our bench team. Even though I like the idea of a 10 man rotation it is very possible that that could impact our wins and losses. We don't want that, especially when there's a (small) chance that we can catch GS. I think there really is a flow in teams that could be disrupted by changing our rotations even a little bit.

Our record is second in the league. We're undefeated with Harden/Chris/Capela. We've beaten GS twice. We need to be happy with where we are.

D-rock likes this.
  10. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

I definitely agree, that Gerald should get some burn if we struggling to score, dude is instant offense. Why do we keep letting Eric and Ryan jackup 3s when they are struggling that night. Definition of insanity.

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

yeah pull eric last night just before he got hot and ended up shooting over 50% from 3. insanity

12. theh

theh Member

Why’s green not getting PT?

13. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

i'll play 5 guys 48 minutes if i have to. if they die they die. if you dont like it, too bad. if someone sues me, i'll kill 'em. **** nba players. they make too much money anyway.

14. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

What's your point? We've had two games now with a healthy roster. How many games do you think we'll go with ZERO injuries? Green will get his because there will be injuries. Last night it was more important for Gordon to shoot his way out of his slump and for Luc to get back into game shape. Those were priorities over finding a valuable 10th man minutes.

We've had 2 games all healthy and 46 games with one or more rotation player(s) out injured.

If Green only gets minutes when we have someone out injured he will still get a lot of minutes.

I want Green to get minutes regardless and I wanted to see him play in the last two games. I part company with a lot of posters just on how important that is because I don't think it's important at all. I would prefer it but I trust MDA more than any prior Rockets coach including Rudy. I care much more about winning than whether or not our 10th man gets minutes in the very rare games when our whole team is healthy.

I've only argued with the size of the response. Otherwise I agree he should get minutes. I just don't get people being "infuriated" or otherwise freaking out about it when the headline is that we went through a VERY rough patch and have come out so much stronger. The last four games have been amazing games and three were against very tough teams in MIN, GSW, and MIA while the fourth was what a lot of people were calling a "trap game" meaning we were in danger of playing down to the competition. And any NBA team can beat any other NBA team on any night if they want it more. Every team has too much talent to think we can count our chickens before they've hatched.

Last night we had a 20 point lead or so and when we did empty the bench Green played about half a quarter IIRC and did not have it, leading to a 7 point win. If we'd emptied our bench a couple plays earlier we might have lost that game.

MDA has a lot of guys to get back into game shape and get used to playing together and that's obviously his priority. His priority is guys 1 through 9. AFTER that his priority is our 10th guy. But it is so much more important to get our top 9 players into game shape than to make sure Green gets minutes in every game. If he were known for his defense I feel like I could assure you things would be different but he's not. He's a great offensive threat but not a great defensive one and, with the exception of the second quarter last night, we have needed defense so much more badly than offense.

In Morey I trust. In D'Antoni I trust. In our roster (from Harden to Green) I trust. We're in second place in the league in record and in point differential and we're nipping at GS's ankles in both areas. I am not about to get bent out of shape over minutes for our tenth man.

topfive and D-rock like this.
  15. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I agree with you more than I disagree with you .

I think MDA will be more conservative with rotations than you expect because that has been his M.O over his coaching history .

Batman Jones likes this.
  16. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I'm not bent out of shape either . I'm not infuriated .

I can't argue with what Mike has done either night .

I'm just saying , when it comes down to it ... I don't think Green will get "his" . MDA is what he is ... And that may or may not be good enough for a championship . He lacks in player development . He plays his rotation .

This year he should have a 9 man rotation .

My concern with MDA is that when one of those rotation players goes out he doesn't usually let someone from outside the rotation take their place unless it's a dire situation .

For example , say PJ misses a game .

I honestly think it's 50/50 whether or not green sees significant minutes . I think Mike's first preference is to have Luc , Ryan , and Ariza play more or play more 3 guard . I highly doubt he just plays green 20+ minutes ... That's how he works .

You can say it's different this time and he trusts green ... But I think he trusts green about as far as he can throw him.

He played Dekker and Harrell significant minutes last season , but when it came to it in the playoffs , neither played a lick . Nene got hurt and instead of playing your backup who had produced well season ... He plays 7 men.

I'm not infuriated about his decision not to play green so far ... The situation has never strongly called for it . He hasn't made a rotational mistake these last two games ( IMO ) ... But he never faced a tough decision either . I just doubt that he is going to play green as much as you think , or as much as logic wild dictate.

17. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

I don't disagree with anything you wrote. I was writing to those that were indeed "infuriated." That's a direct quote from one poster but others have similarly overreacted IMO. Not talking about you.

18. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Lol mda cant coach a team with ego lmm tucker green black to keep a 20 pt lead against the mavs?

Yeah he needs harden or paul on the court at all times

19. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

10 man rotation they said:rolleyes:

MDA will play vets! They said:rolleyes:

snowconeman22 likes this.
  20. Zergling

Zergling Member

If Ariza can't buy a 3, Green should be getting time. At least an opportunity to get hot.