1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Wang ZhiZhi is AWFUL!

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by sithpooh, Apr 18, 2001.

1. sithpooh

sithpooh Member

Has anyone really watched this guy play? He is pitiful! He's slow, he can't jump, he can't play defense, and he's as weak as a fish. Granted, he will have time to develop, but his spot on the Mavs roster certainly deprives a much better player of a chance to play in the NBA. Wang would not even stand out in the NCAA. Please, please, please do not try to play the "race" card on this one. Chinese is a nationality, anyway. The guy is a bonafide waste of time and money. Unless Yao Ming is in a hurry to get thrown around and get the crap beat out of him by even NBA 3rd-stringers, he should learn from Wang's experiences, and stay out of the NBA, which is supposedly only for the world's best. I know that many members of the Asian community (and elsewhere, of course) are happy that the game has gone so global, but Wang is a sure bust. And yes, that sort of assessment can be made after only a few games.

------------------

2. RocketsFanFromLa

I can't wait to see him in an epic battle against Greg Ostertag in the first round. That should rival Magic vs. Bird. I can just see the NBC headline now. Today its Big Wang Vs. The Big Ho--I mean O. That could be exactly what the NBA needs to raise ratings.

------------------

Really a member since
    March 1999.

[This message has been edited by RocketsFanFromLa (edited April 18, 2001).]

3. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Didn't folks say the same thing about Dirk Nowitzki, in his first season? Dirk was labled a bust in his first year and now all his critics are eating their words. Give Wang time to adapt, before you call him crap. It can take an International player as much as two years to get adjusted to the NBA rules.

------------------

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

any player needs time to adjust
    [folx killin me with the KT bashing]

The new Euro/intl rule. . i mean Zone rule
    should help him alot

Rocket River

------------------

5. TexasG

TexasG Member

They did call Dirk a bust until the end of last year (this is his third year). Of coarse Dirk has continuously worked on his game since he became a MAV. I will reserve judgement on Wang until at least another year in the NBA. He has never been in an NBA level conditioning program so it's hard to judge how athletic he is/can be. If he works on his game as hard, and as much as Dirk does he could be very good. But again I will wait until he has at least another year at the NBA level under his belt.

------------------
    http://www.rapmusic.com/texasg/NewMavsLogo1.jpg

6. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Dirk got consistently better as his rookie year go on. I remember Pip had al lsorts of trouble guarding him at the endo of the year.

Wang is looking bad now, but he could definitely start for the Bulls.

------------------
    "norm, would you like to buy an indian scalp ? This deal isn't gonna make or break me Norm, so don't jerk me around." Harry Carey "Norm, if I had a mohawk scalp, I wouldn't be sitting here talking to you."

7. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

The guy hasn't even had a training camp or anything. He came into the league the last month or two of the season, obviously he is going to struggle.

------------------
    See the three, be the three.

8. Steve_Francis_rules

It's far too early to call him a bust. Personally, I hope things work out well for him.

------------------

9. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

He certainly has a nice perimeter game.

------------------
    HEAD KNIGHT:
    We are now... no longer the Knights Who Say 'Ni'.
    KNIGHTS OF NI:
    Ni! Shh!
    HEAD KNIGHT:
    Shh! We are now the Knights Who Say 'Ecky- ecky- ecky- ecky- pikang- zoop- boing- goodem- zoo- owli- zhiv'.

10. wgray

wgray Member

i didn't think that he could play in the playoffs are thay gona let him?

------------------

11. Bookit

Bookit Member

Check out Don Nelson's post game press conference.(after the 4/18 Minnesota game) He says that he is shocked that Wang would ever play this year but Wang has a gift...boy can he shoot. You should see him in practice...he is up there with Nash, Nowitzki, and Finley as far as shooting the ball.

If he learns to play defense and rebound he could be a player.

Here is the link to the press conference

http://www.mavtalk.com/video/

------------------

12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think I'll take Nelson's opinion -- based on a lot more games of Wang's than anyone here has seen -- over whatever impression he may have made to a casual, non-Mav-fan observer. Obviously, he's got skills enough to warrant spending 2 years negotiating with the Chinese to get him. I have no doubt at all that he'll develop into a very good player, especially with the support he'll get from the Mavs. Even what I've seen of him so far has been impressive, imo, considering his relative greenness. I'd already rather have him than Cato and a lot of other centers in the NBA today. My hat is off to the Mavs and Don Nelson in particular for great pickups like Wang and Nowitzki and Howard. It is my sincere belief that Dallas will be the dominant team in the West for several years to come.

------------------
    RealGM
    Gafford Art
    Artisan Cakes

13. RKMAN

RKMAN Member

Shhhhhh! People in Dallas haven't figured that out yet [​IMG]....

------------------
    RKMAN

Proud believer of the 2001 World Champion Houston Astros.