1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Vescey nailed Live on Showtime!

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by thacabbage, Apr 30, 2000.

1. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

LOL. Did you all watch Peter Vescey's Showtime segment about the head coaching vacancies? He proceeded to say that Mike Fratello had run out to L.A. to interview for the Clippers.

Fratello's response?

"Hanna, 50% of what Peter writes is true, and 50% is incorrect. I'm part of that incorrect 50%. How could I be out in L.A. this week? I've been doing games all week."

2. MoonBus

MoonBus Contributing Member

I was expecting to see something in the line of "Vecey got popped by NBA player..." when I saw your topic. Oh well..., this isn't bad either.

3. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Man, I wish I had seen that!

Vescey is such a moron. Why does NBC put up with his crap??

------------------
    We're going to miss you Chuck! Thanks for all the memories!

4. Ih8walton

Ih8walton Contributing Member

Clutch,

Here is the story about Vecsey's scuffle in Seattle. He truly is an idiot!

Copyright © 1996 The Seattle Times Company
    Sports : Friday, June 14, 1996

TV analyst allegedly in scuffle

by Tina Kelleyand Elliott Almond
    Seattle Times staff reporters

The Lynnwood city attorney's office was considering filing minor assault charges today against NBC sports analyst Peter Vecsey as a result of an incident at a local toy store.

A Shoreline couple asserts Vecsey and a companion attacked the husband Tuesday afternoon at a Toys R Us near the Alderwood Mall after the man made a disparaging remark about the broadcaster.

Derek Nephew suffered cuts on his left arm and head, had scratch marks on the back of his neck and swelling under his left eye, according to a Lynnwood police report.

The dispute started after Nephew's wife, Tracey, recognized Vecsey, a member of NBC's broadcasting team in Seattle for the NBA Finals between the SuperSonics and Chicago Bulls.

Nephew told police that he did not believe the man was the controversial broadcaster, and said to his wife, "and besides, Peter Vecsey is an idiot."

Tracey Nephew told police her husband said, "and besides, Peter Vecsey is a jerk."

Vecsey and his companions overheard the remark and confronted Nephew, police said.

According to the report, Vecsey cursed at Nephew and said, "What do you have to say now?" Vecsey, according to witnesses, then asked Nephew to go outside. When Nephew refused, Vecsey ordered him out of the store.

"(Nephew) said, `I don't want to fight, I just want to get out of the store and leave,' " a witness told The Seattle Times. "They pressed the issue."

According to the report, as Nephew walked away, one of Vecsey's companions pushed him from behind until he fell, knocking down merchandise. The man hit Nephew twice; Vecsey hit him once, police said.

"While this white male held my husband, Peter Vecsey then took hold of my husband's head, looked around for a second and then hit him in the head with a closed fist," Tracey Nephew told police.

Police said an electrician doing contract work at the store broke up the altercation by pulling Vecsey's friend off Nephew.

The Nephews filed a civil suit against Vecsey in Snohomish County Superior Court, seeking damages for injuries and emotional distress.

Vecsey, also a New York Post columnist, could not be reached. An NBC spokesman said Vecsey will work tonight's Game 5. The spokesman said NBC officials were aware of the allegations, but would not comment on a legal matter involving an employee.

After the incident, Vecsey bought an item and told a store employee that such situations happen all the time, the report said.

The clerk, Faith Armstrong, told police, "He said, `He called me an idiot, and I don't have to put up with that.' I said, `We're all idiots at some point, but we have to go on.' He said, `Not me.' I finished ringing up his purchase and I said, `Have a happy day.' He said, `It should get better.' He seemed like what happened was no big deal and left."

5. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

That's the one -- thanks Ih8walton! How did you dig that up? [​IMG]

------------------
    NOTHING BUT .NET
    CLUTCHCITY.NET

6. Ih8walton

Ih8walton Contributing Member

Your welcome Clutch, always glad to provide a public service.

I came across it a long time ago on the Seattle Times site. So I went back tonight and searched the archives, and sure enough it was there.

Guess Vecsey will be sending some goons my way, now [​IMG]

7. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Damn, damn, damn -- how did I miss that? Someone say they got it on tape... [​IMG]

I need to dig up that old Seattle Times story about Vecsey's assault charge in Toys-R-Us in Seattle during the Finals in 1996... he was like with some groupies of his in the store. Some man was there with his wife and child and the woman said "That's the guy on the TV who does the games" ... and the man said something like, "Peter Vecsey? No that's not him. Besides Vecsey is an idiot."

Vecsey heard him, confronted him and with his cronies roughed the guy up in the store...

Vecsey ... on the run from the law [​IMG]

------------------
    NOTHING BUT .NET
    CLUTCHCITY.NET

8. grummett

grummett Contributing Member

The funniest part of that exchange was when they had Fratello on split screen beside Vecsey when he was reporting the rumor. It didn't look like Fratello knew he was on because he raised an eyebrow and got a disgusted look on his face.

------------------

9. dc sports

dc sports Member

OK, now I'm curious.

What was the outcome?

------------------
    Stay Cool...