1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We're So Close....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by 1Deep, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

We will win one game at most against them in a playoff series when both teams are healthy.

They are battle tested, have a much better defense, and don't have a scrub like Ryan Anderson holding the team back.

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I feel like Morey is being plagiarized.

3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I.D.I.O.T.

4. solid

solid Contributing Member

I like your optimism, but they were missing Durant who some believe is the best overall player in the league. You are classifying CP3 as a "bench" player? Trust me, I don't like their smugness and pomposity, but their talent level is really absurd.

5. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

We're not THAT close but we are closer than we ever have been.
    And we are capable of beating them; but unfortunately in a 7 game series the odds of the things we need to go our way usually becomes tougher.

Health is the number 1 key. We can't even be in the same sentence as them unless our 9 man rotation is fully healthy.

To beat them in a series two of Ryno, EG and Ariza would have to always be on; and PJ Tucker would have to play so that posters call me and other users out and quote old posts of mine talking trash about his contract. This does not happen enough..

6. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not only that, but when you look at all the eggballs thrown by Ariza, Anderson, and Gordon from behind the arc it was as rotten as it gets for a team's starters. At least Gordon got to the paint and powered his way in to the rim enough to do damage, but those three stunk of rotten eggs with the long balls.

7. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

No, I get it. We wouldn't be favored against them, unless LeBron walks through the door. However, I take issue with the fact that you said we'd be swept. While I get that they were missing Durant, I think the depth we were missing hurt us more. Bring both squads to the court 100% healthy, and I feel good about the Rockets taking it to at least 6.

And CP3 is a bench player in the sense that he runs the 2nd unit. He'd be matching up against their bench.

8. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Gordon is holding back his energy this regular season.

I have noticed against GSW both games he has looked much more explosive than others.

Between him and Green this team has some real fire power.

Green kept us in the game through 3 quarters albeit our awful wide open three point shooting.

9. anchel

anchel Member

Rockets have 0 chances without improving their defense. Defensively, we're further away from them than what the boxscore says. Players like Ariza, Gordon, Capela, Harden, gotta be much better defensively, the team has to be much better collectively on that side or has no real chances.
    We are going to improve, but probably are not beating them this year. Next year we gotta keep the group together and take the next step defensively.

roxallways likes this.
  10. 1Deep

1Deep Member

If Ryno is shooting at least at a career avg..CP3 and James doing their thing...Ariza and EG shooting well..and Green and Luc playing well there is no way in Hell we can't compete with them in a series.

11. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Defense is something that improves the more you play with a team.

I really hope the Rockets target a Paul George next year to play the 4 if we can not get Lebron.

12. ferrarif1286

ferrarif1286 Member

If everyone makes 100% of their shots, if hakeem turns 30 years younger, if stephen curry retires tomorrow, if.... oh wait there's reality...

13. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

If you expect Green to provide the same offensive capabilities he is showing now you are clinically insane.

MD_in_Training likes this.
  14. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

It isn't like people are asking Bobby Brown to become Kobe or MJ. Ryno shooting his career average is possible because its an average of his career. Same goes for CP3 and James. Ariza and EG are good shooters. Players have slumps and can come back from them. Luc is going to come back from his injury and Tucker can get his groove back. You're saying none of that is possible which isn't true. The group, when healthy, were pretty good for a quarter of the season. The best thing right now is for CP3 to learn how to run the team without Harden. It'll probably be good for Harden to get some rest during this time since he's been a machine for the last few years.

1Deep likes this.
  15. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, he is looking much better driving in to the rim. But, I doubt Green can keep up the % at the 3, unless every team he ever played on missed something. It's up to Ariza, Anderson, and Gordon to get out of their streaky slump from behind the arc for good!!!

16. Vienna Calling

I think Morey and his team have done a tremendous job in improving the team. We're closer to beating the Warriors than we were last season and the Rockets should really be applauded for that. With that being said, the Warriors are a historically great team. You could make the case that this is the greatest team in NBA history. The shooting they have at the 1, 2 and 3 is absolutely unreal. They will be heavy favorites against us in the playoffs but their margin for error/injury has admittedly decreased. Still, people need to realize that we will probably never beat the Warriors in a playoff series and there is absolutely no shame in that.

17. rockpileindisma

18. dmoneybangbang

Last time I checked we were 1-1 vs the Warriors this year. Our defense has slipped considerably without my boy Luc and with Capela in and out of the lineup.

I think we matchup well against the Warriors when fully healthy, but I'd still put my money on the Warriors.

Patience and napalm06 like this.
  19. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Anderson shot 28% last year in the playoffs from the 3 and is a career 32% 3pt shooter in the playoffs. He just doesn't perform that well because the game slow down and defense locks in. Also, it doesn't help he's absolutely terrible when shooting in the Toyota center (might be a mental thing at this point).

I hope people won't be disappointed if he shoots below 30% from the 3 again the next playoffs because it'll likely happen.

20. dmoneybangbang

Good thing we got Luc and Tucker to spend time at the 4, along with Ariza if need be assuming all healthy for the playoffs.