1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Experiences at the Lasik-the vision institute?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Outlier, Dec 26, 2017.

1. Outlier

Outlier Member

just wondering if anyone here has had experience with lasik surgery? I planned on using groupon to get a decent deal but after examination and consultation all these extra stuff popped up. Such as lifetime checks for vision correction, plugs to keep my eyes hydrated, and an additional procedure for my astigmatism. This all will cost an additional $1200 than i expected to pay. So was wondering if this is all worth it given my eyes are i think prescription of -1-ish and have bad astigmatism. I know it wont be life changing but it should improve my quality of life. Would appreciate your input. Thanks

2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Can only speak for my wife who would say it was one of the best things she's ever done. I don't know what her vision was exactly when she had it done, but she definitely needed glasses/contacts. She was done with them the day of the surgery. After 6 years, she's had no issues at all.

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I had lasik around 02. Nothing special done. Just normal lasik.

I had to add glasses back 18 months ago.

I can get redone... but my opinion on volumtary medical procedures has changed as I’ve aged and now have kids, etc.

Which isn’t to say you will or might have problems. And even if there is a problem it’s not likely to be of Hhe worst variety.

But it is to say... we’ll consider the alternative. Which is where I’m at now. Which is I wear glasses. No big deal. Cheap.

Of course when I take my glasses off not anywhere close to blind.

You should be good in any scenario... just giving you my opinion. Especially since I’m generally back where I started. It was a nice 15 Year’s of sight though.

4. Major

Major Member

Two thoughts for you:

1. Lasik was one of the best things I've ever done and some of the best money I've ever spent. I would highly recommend it to anyone who hates dealing with glasses or contacts *AND* is a good candidate.

2. That second part is very important. There are lots of different levels of quality machines and doctors out there. I highly recommend *do not go cheap* - these are your eyes and there are no do-overs. There are a range of complications that can be annoying, if not problematic, and you want to find places with the newer technologies and the least likelihood of problems. I used the Mann Institute in Austin, and one of the reasons is that they had (at the time - I have no idea now) a relatively high rejection rate. They would only accept candidates with low likelihood of complication because they wanted to maintain their 99% success rate or whatever (I'm using my own words here). That made me more comfortable that their initial testing of whether you're a good candidate was legit, instead of them just trying to convince me to do it to get my money.

FWIW, there are Groupons for cheaper versions and some of the good ones, so you can still find some of the good places for cheaper than base rates, but it still might be more expensive than the cheaper places.

5. Major

Major Member

To add, when picking a place, I would say do a lot of research, ask them about their complications rates, etc.

6. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

Using Groupon for a medical procedure seems like a good idea.

7. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Across the border in Reynosa you can find really good deals. I knew a guy who went over there once.

8. ohmarioyes

ohmarioyes Member

Dr. Slade on Wesleyan and Westheimer. Got mine at 18 and it’s been 7 years. Best money spent!

9. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Did he ever come back? Dangerous down there.

Source: am from there.

10. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I did a payment plan for the 3600 lasik procedure. They fixed my stigmatism and gave me 2020 vision. It doesnt hurt at all and its very fast. They gave me some xanax before the procedure. I said I was gonna hoop more but I ain't done nothing.

11. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Again not to be negative Nancy here but it’s 2017 so do your research.

They say the complication rate is like 4.5%. Bear in mind at one point there was 1+ million people annually getting lasik. So that’s like 40k people with problems. For an expensive elective surgery.

I wouldn’t trust any rates of success provided to you by any doctor group or any group associated with any association. In my non professional opinion the non success rates of Amy major surgery is underrated. Because Nobody really tracks this stuff for every patient long term. Whether it’s lasik or anything. Eventually patients just stop coming because they learn the doctors have no solutions and aren’t really prepared for failure. In lasik’s case it seems to be offer a second corrective surgery. Fun!!

I say the above as a doctors son (so know it’s exactly what he tells me - oh we assume they get better they stop making appointments or responding to our follow up...)

Again I’m a lasik success story (despite the failure at 15 years...) and there’s a 95% chance you will be too.

But research!

https://www.google.com/amp/www.chic...es-luster-health-0525-20160526-story,amp.html

12. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Goto an optho that doesn’t run a mill, does a couple every month. More meticulous and will be more thorogh

13. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

I'm finally a candidate for this, this upcoming year. I'll be going down to Houston for it, already know a doctor two of my exes used that loved and that my buddy used. Going to use him, too. Don't remember the name off hand, but I can check for you OP if you want. I hope to do it in the summer.

SIL

14. Outlier

Outlier Member

I'm getting mines at the Lasik Vision Institute. I did research and most of the complaints seem to just be about the wait time. Very few actual post surgery complaints. I think i'll go for the lifetime checks. This place seems popular and are nationwide.

15. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

i got my Lasik surgery at Joffe (spelling?) using groupon about 3-4 years ago. think i paid somewhere around 2k total. best investment of my life, very easy process. still have 20/20. in some cases you can even get 20/15.

16. Major

Major Member

I think that a simple number for complication rate is very misleading. Different technologies have different complication rates, and if people are not good candidates, they are more likely to have complications - so it's not like there's a 5% chance for any given person to have complications. It largely depends on the doctor (and their equipment) and the specifics of the patient. In addition, complications range from the occasional dry eye (a few drops fixes it) to blurred vision or things more serious than that - many people who have the occasional dry eye may still feel its worth it. Blurred vision, obviously not so much.

17. Outlier

Outlier Member

Joffe is doing $1595 per eye right now. There arent any groupon prices for them currently. Its a shame. They were the first place i went for a consultation but the price was a deal breaker.

18. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Got lasik about 5 years ago at the Berkley eye center in the woodlands i think. I still have 20/20 vision today. Here was the process:

First meeting they did preliminary tests to see if I was a candidate and then gave me a sales pitch. This was all free. I agreed and then about a week later I went in to get more detailed images of my eye for the surgery. Two weeks later was the surgery. They gave me some valium and numbed my eye with drops. The surgery was two machines. First machine paints something on your eye telling the laser where to cut. Second machine is the laser. Finally the surgeon removed what was cut with a scrapper. It's creepy, but no pain and only takes like 15 minutes. After a few hours you can see again with perfect vision.

This was all 5 years ago. Process could be totally different now.

19. Exiled

Exiled Member

If you're sensitive to day lights and feel constant needs to wear sunglasses , this might give you a good hint that you probably should avoid this procedure as corenal wall thikniess is not within a safe margin, otherwise go for it

20. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Generally, the cheaper the procedure, the older the technology is and more complications that are associated with them. The big national LASIK chains are okay, but local surgeons have better reputations in the community and are more recommended.

I'm not too familiar with Houston refractive surgery ophthalmologists, but Dr. Slade is one I hear a lot from friends.

Major likes this.