1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[JAY-Z] The Black Album

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by JayZ750, Dec 6, 2003.

1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

My username is JayZ because (A) those are my initials, and, (B) I have always liked Jay-Z's albums, particularly his early ones.

The Black Album is, apparently, his last go at a record, but he finishes off very strong. I just got it last night and have listened to most of it all the way through this morning. It is easily one of his best albums, imo - very fresh yet still undeniably Jay-Z.

Just an fyi for those of you out there who are fans.

2. tozai

tozai Member

Just got it? And you're a Jay-Z fan? There was a thread like 3 weeks ago on this.

3. JayZ750

It is something called work - where I've been since 7:30 am. Obviously, I didn't see it - otherwise I might have been induced to buy it earlier.

4. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Calm down there Jigga Man, he said the thread was up 3 WEEKS ago, not hours.

Why is he retiring? I can understand if a he doesn't want to keep making music into old age, but he's still in his 30's.

5. JayZ750

Sorry. The response was both useless and rude at the same time. It would have been much more useful if a link was given so I could read and possibly add to said thread. Oh, and the work thing was suppossed to be indicative of my schedule for the past month and a half - hence no time ever to really do anything outside the office.

6. JayZ750

I think he will still produce, maybe guest on an album or two, but this is his last album - i get the feeling he is tired, but I don't think its clear.

7. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

Jay Z releases an album every year. If he's tired he should tone it down to 1 album every 2 years like most major artists.

8. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

He needs to work on another collaboration with R Kelly.

Best of Both Worlds Part II.

9. tozai

tozai Member

10. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

Don't tell me you are serious bout wanting another Jay-Z/R Kelly collaboration album, Best of Both Worlds was TERRIBLE...And funny enough, neither R Kelly or Jay-Z has had an album go anything lese than 2x platinum (with the exception of Jay's 1st solo) and BOBW only went platinum.

Oh, but there supposedly will be a BOBW Pt. II...With Cash Money's Baby and R. Kelly.

11. Zion

Zion Member

12. JamesC

JamesC Member

I thought overall it was a good album. I really wanted him to collaberate with Dj Premier on a least one song. I was dissapointed it didnt happen. My favorite tracks is "Allure" song # 13 produced bt the Neptunes. I cant get enough of that beat.

13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

IMO, "99 problems", number 9 on the black album, is by far the best song that Jay has had in years. Awesome, awesome track with a great sample.

14. munco

munco Member

I think he's "retiring", so he can sell more albums. Some people maybe bought into the hype and bought this one because of that. Then when he comes out of retirement he'll sell some more albums. Overall, I'm sure he's "retiring" to get his album more publicity. I was a bit disappointed.

15. munco

munco Member

How can Jay-Z supposedly go with the biggest producers in hip-hop and not put on a track by hip-hop's greatest producer, DJ Premier. Overall, I was disappointed by the album. I think he tried making an album like Nas' Illmatic, a true hip hop album that also had no real guest MCs and the best producers in the industry. I think it's an ok album, but very disappointing when compared to albums like Illmatic. I don't think it's a classic. My favorite track is the one produced by 9th Wonder although I'm not too big on the ODB ramblings on the track.

16. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Everybody knows there was only one black album worth mentioning and it wasn't by Jay-Z.

It was by Spinal Tap.

17. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

lyrics are from...
    JayZ - The Black Album - Track 14 - My 1st Song

Y'all wanna know, why he don't stop
    Y'all wanna know, why he don't flop
    Let me tell you people why
    Came from the bottom of the block I
    When I was born, it was sworn, I was never gon' be sh*t
    Had to pull the opposite out this bit*h
    Had to get my ride on
    Eyes on the prize, Shawn knew I had to
    Had to had to get these chips
    Had to make moves like Olajuwon
    Started out sellin dimes and nicks
    Graduated to a brick
    No exaggeration, my infatuation with the strip

18. tozai

tozai Member

I liked My First Song and Threat most. Probably because of the beats.

19. jwun

jwun Member

I like the album...its solid all the way through, Threat and the 2 Kanye West joins are dope. No Illmatic but I have no gripes with an album you can listen to front to back.

The rumors before the release had a couple joints by Primo that just didn't make the cut as well as a Dre beat. I got a feeling if they exist they will appear on some sort of greatest hits album in the next year.

For now those that didn't get the Primo fix they wanted there is a DJ LT. Dan mixtape out right now (The Black Remixes: Back to Basics) that flips the Black Album Accapellas over some Premier beats ie. What More Can I Say over Biggie's Unbelievable and Dust Your Shoulders Off over Jeru's Come Clean and then some other beats....not to mention they just released the accapella version of the Black Album so you be hearing alot of remixes and blends soon.
    [​IMG]

Also for those that dig the 9th Wonder production on Threats you should check his group out Little Brother's The Listening LP. He also did an great remix album of Nas' entire God's Son called God's Stepson, really tight work.Nas - Get Down (9th Wonder Remix)

20. tozai

tozai Member

The Listening is a pretty good album. Recommended.