1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Pelicans @ Rockets 12/11/2017

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 11, 2017.

1. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

i blame ariza & co for not doin these to jru & eat1

2. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

I love how ariza didn't look for someone to hold him back like steph did. Just stood his ground like pull up den

vlaurelio likes this.
  3. Vivid

Vivid Member

Well our last three opponents were against Western Conference Playoff teams. Good teams don't seem as good this year because the top teams seem so much better, but it is still relative. If we didn't turn things around the last two games (and perhaps giving you a more legitimate platform from which to gripe), both the Pelicans and Blazers would be 3.5 games behind the Spurs for 3rd in the West. We were decent last year and finished 6 games behind the Spurs. Dame can go off like that, and when individuals have games like that (see Mitchell, Beal, Wall) their teams usually win. I mean, the Mavs just beat the Spurs last night. Good defensive teams have lapses, and with PJ Thicc-er and CP3, you bet your ass they aren't patting themselves on the back.

So lets look into some other reasons that may have lead to early success for our opponents besides "we didn't play hard enough" or were "lackluster." The Blazers ran a different scheme against us that took a while for us to respond to. They took us off the three point line, and while we were adjusting on the fly, Dame put together an incredible game. You bet if we flipped the script (took away a team's strength) and Harden was going off, we would be in the same position, regardless of the individuals team's defensive rating. The Pelicans (a good 3 point shooting team) set there franchise record in 3's. Rondo was 3/5. Moore set a career high. Lets give them some credit, they knew they had to fire against us and they did. They couldn't do that against bad defensive teams like Mavs, Kings, or the frig'n Bulls. Against us they doubled their 3's made season average.

Was our defense worse than that of those lowly teams, or was it a combination of the Rockets having to stray from a game plan and the Pelicans shooting lights out? (Also to put into perspective the kind of shooting we expect from our team, NOP's franchise record was just 2 more three's than what the Rockets average this year) The game plan was obviously to limit Boogie. I love Capela, and he had a monster game, but Boogie is very good on offense from many different places on the floor. We were choosing to double from the weak side every time he got post position, rotating a guard or a wing, which would leave someone open. (Note I think this can also be effective against the LMA and the Spurs) If the Pelicans can expect that kind of shooting to go along with dominant post play from AD and Boogie, this is a legitimate team in the West. That is classic inside out basketball that I'm sure the 99ers appreciate. So we limited Boogie the best we could (as Bill would say "we defensed him"), made him work on the defensive side, hoped their shooters would cool off and our stars would heat up. That's what ended up happening. Maybe we decided to let Cousins roll and start flying out to the 3 point line and lose with Boogie dropping 40. They shot their lowest percentage from 3 in the 4th quarter, when we starting shooting our best and our stars led us to the finish line.

I know. Being a fan of this team you almost want to get upset or something so it won't crash down like you are afraid it will. But have some hope and lighten up fellow Houston sports fan! We didn't come back like this last year, and like I said, we were good last year. We are seeing a team capable of winning when plan A doesn't work. A team that can respond and adjust to different scenarios. We saw Ego have a big game after struggling for a month. We are this good and haven't even fired on all cylinders. Now lets see how we look against the Hornets.

Htownballer38 likes this.
  4. Robert Kogut

Robert Kogut Member

Pelicans were shooting like 85% of 3P for 3 quarters
    yeah, and next 2 teammates added triple double and near triple double and ... they lost. Ridiculous.

hakeem94 likes this.
  5. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

rockets are the best team of all times confirmed

Robert Kogut likes this.
  6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

7. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

[​IMG]

Pen15clubber likes this.
  8. Chanmarr

Chanmarr Member

And since we’re the best team in the league there’s a target on our back. Teams are going to want to come out the gates firing on us.

9. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

I also think teams suddenly realize and feel its ok to shoot as many 3s as you like when they play us

10. AlaisterCuaresma

I know this is a late post, I had quite a busy week but nonetheless it's here! My Top 5 Plays vs Pelicans! Hopefully this video will get you pumped up for tonights home game vs Hornets! I said it while the game was playing and I'll say it again, watching this live was not good for my blood pressure lol. I feel like with the Rockets blowing out teams they're trying to making it more challenging for themselves with their opponents leads!

Anyways enjoy the video guys! Peace! :D

11. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Sprained elbow, out 2-3 weeks

12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I was taught that defense isn't played with the hands but the feet. Hands are bare minimum D, the feet are what makes you elite. Great players will hit their shots no matter you put your hand up or not. Great defenders and defensive teams understand that - you take away out of their comfort zone. Not rush to get to them and put a hand up so you can claim you were contesting shots.

13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

And I guarantee you the Warriors don't talk about how great they are after having to dig themselves out of a hole to win.

14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

First it was the Blazers who got hot and had a record output then the Pelicans. They just got luck you say. Sure some of the shots yes. But they also came pretty easily most of the time. And having played basketball against a hot hand, you don't try to stop them, you change tactics to take them out of their comfort zone and take lower percentage shots.

15. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

running and closing out is defence as well. The object is to make the other team take tough shots and we do that often, but every now and then they will make those shots

16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Closeouts are worthless unless you create a fear you are going to block the shooter. A good shooter knows how to phase out a mere contest. Same thing with running. No point unless you are going to contest the shot - might as well give them the open shot and go for the rebound if you have no chance to chase them off the line or force them pass.

And by contest, i mean an opportunity to change the angle of release.

17. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Nobody said anything to that magnitude. Dude stop the damn madness. You act like you never played any type of COMPETITIVE sports.

Yes they do get excited after a thrilling come from behind victory. They are giving each other high fives, chest bumps and saying," that's what im talking about".

Oh and I guess you didn't see the stout defense from last night either.

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

lol you were taught wrong then. if you were taught contesting and having active hands as an afterthought whoever your coach was has no business doing so

19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Clearly you suffer from reading comprehension issues

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

clearly you dont know what playing defense is