1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who Has the Best Arena in Texas?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ths balla, Nov 21, 2003.

Tags:
?

Who has the best arena in Texas?

1. Rockets

54 vote(s)
    63.5%
  2. Mavs

27 vote(s)
    31.8%
  3. Spurs

4 vote(s)
    4.7%
  1. ths balla

ths balla Member

Who has got the best arena in Texas, the Rox, Mavs, or Spurs, and why?:D

2. ths balla

ths balla Member

anyone want to explain why they chose what they chose:D

3. rockets688

rockets688 Member

I voted for the American Airlines center, but to be fair, most fans in Houston haven't seen the new Toyota Center, so this won't be vaild for a while. That said, AA Center is incredible, especially with the renovations they did last year. I love that LCD screen that wraps around the area, fantastic effect. Maybe Toy. Center has one too, does it?

4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Yes...all new ones have them.

I voted for the Toyota Center as I've never been to the other two. I had been to both the Alamo Dome and Reunion Arena. The Alamo Dome sucked....

I actually liked Reunion Arena - it had one of those old arena feels that was still cool - whereas Compaq was just to deficient in some areas. I've heard some people say they liked the feel of Reunion better than AA, but undoubtedly the amenities and improved technology make AA "more impressive"

5. danjojo

danjojo Member

Rockets having the newest arena better have the best one...

6. MFFL

MFFL Member

1. AAC 2. TC 10. SBC Center

AAC is by far the nicest arena in the league. TC is nice but didn't come close to the money that was put into the AAC. Which you can tell. The SBC Center is garbage. What a pathetic new arena. I read a poll on ESPN about the nicest arenas last season and AAC was voted the best. I'll see if I can find link to post it. I know this was before the TC but I have been to all 3 and the AAC is the nicest and loudest. If it helps any the TC blows the SBC Center away.

7. chyke_tx

chyke_tx Member

8. chyke_tx

chyke_tx Member

AAC*

I saw a documentry-ish stuff on it...whoa:eek:

9. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

I've heard nothing but complaints about the Rockets new arena. Upper level too steep, food sucks, parking sucks, bad acoustics for concerts, upper level concourse too plain, etc...

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I absolutely loved it. No complaints whatsoever.

I'd say: 1. AAC 2. Toyota Center on the outside.

1. Tie between AAC and Toyota Center on the inside.

11. tigereye

tigereye Member

Well, time for the voice of reason...........

I have been to all three now...........

AND THS IS NOT A "HOMER" VOTE...........while I do live in Houston presently, I AM FROM NYC AND A BIG KNICKS FAN........with a bag over my head right now!

I voted...........truthfully and without biased

TC.........1
    AAC.......2
    SBC........3

here's why..........

1.........If you love sports and attending games where the action is close to the action on the court like MYSELF, then Toyota Center should be your top vote easily. This venue was ACTUALLY designed with the fan in mind. All of the seats are pulled closer to the court then in any other new arena I have been too! I dont care for much of the other foo-foo frills that new arena's offer. Just great seats with a damn good view, an easy to read and understand scoreboard and good food. Despite what others might say, Toyota Center had all three............especially if you have been to other NBA venues and compare them tho this one.

Plus, I liked the fact that I could order drinks/food and still see the action on the court from the club concourse. Especially when you consider the fact that amongst NBA owners, its almost a rule that you have your concession stands away from the view of the court so fans can concentrate more on spending more money buying food. Visit every NBA venue including AAC and SBC...........you'll find that at every venue, the concourse is often tucked underneath the bowl and offers no view of the court. But at Toyota Center, the Club Concourse and Lounge and much of the Upper Deck concourse are left open to the bowl and the court...........like what you find at a new ballpark and its main concourse. Very fan friendly feature indeed.

There is just one bad thing about this fan-friendly Toyota Center.....................NOT ENOUGH FANS IN IT!

2..........Wow is all I can say.

But to the person who brought up the price differential between AAC and the other Texas arena's............big mistake. Both TC and SBC costed so much lesser because they got a sweet deal on land rates whereas Dallas had to pay an arm and a leg for the entire Victory site which was factored into te cost. And Victory sits.........undeveloped. So much promise...............but now, will it even happen? Just had to point that out.....

As for the Arena itself, Cubes knows how to throw a party. As said by someone else on this board in this thread, Cubes often has live bands preform during pregame. And the Concourses are huge palacial works of art right down to the Terrazzo floor you walk on to the Airplanes hanging over head!:eek: But once in the Bowl, things change. On the two visits I have been there, one was in the Platinum Club and the other was literally on the other end of the spectrum.........the upper deck! The Platinum Club experience was provided by a friend who had membership! And for him.........its money well spent. Great food and bar for drinks all with a great view of the action. But, its kinda like everyother club lounge I've been too. Same thing........different building. But the upper deck or Terrace section I believe it was called, was a totally different story.................I had to settle for the seats cause there was nothing else left.........Laker game, that should explain everything. Compared to the other two venues in Texas, AAC by far has the worst upper deck design to me. our way up there and pushed a ways back from the court, not on top of it like the steeply designed upper deck at TC. I would take the steep but considerably closer to the court upper deck any day cause it gets you a better view.

3..........SBC was a big dissapointment. With its design, this venue should have been placed on the riverwalk. But now instead, it looks out of place..............almost like an old boring barn on a plain. And a venue surrounded by parking lots in a suburb.........should be for the NFL and tailgaters, not basketball. This site is where the currently unused Alamodome should be..........and SBC should be downtown where the Alamodome currently is. Horribly done in my mind. The sites of both venues are all wrong.

The venue itself wasnt all that bad as people say it is. I enjoyed it alot. Its really fan-freindly with that HEB Fan-Fiesta thing in the upper deck.

In fact, this venue would have been the best in the NBA............IF it were on the Riverwalk. Imagine the Fan Fiesta opening up to the Riverwalk itself. The energy in the building could easliy stream outwords to the Riverwalk on gamedays. Fans could take River taxi's to the game. They would be serenaded by mariachi (SP?)bands upon arrival. The Riverwalk would serve as a great place for pre and post game activities. And best of all...........SBC's design would fit right in amongst other downtown buildings and hotels lined up along the Riverwalk............and not be like a Giant barn lost in a flat land suburb like it currently is.

This building had such promise...........if only it was done correctly.

12. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

From the outside the Mavs have the best looking arena, but once you go inside they all look about the same.

But I like the color of the Rocket's seats, they look as if they are formal. And the 4 big pillars are pretty neat. Plus, We have the best monitors ove the court!!

13. SLA

SLA Member

Well I think TC is much better than Compaq Center..lol.
    I guess they would be a tie. Good post tigereye...I think they would probably be about equal but Toyota Center is newer and everything seems very close to me. THe upper level doesn't look complete..just the walls..maybe they want to leave the concrete construction look. But I think the fans in AAC are louder...bandwagon fans!

SBC Center is pretty new too...I don't know..it seems okay.