1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Answer to Rockets problems - GIVE YAO THE BALL

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Axeman, Nov 22, 2003.

1. Axeman

Axeman Member

Look, I know Yao is developing, I know he can show timidity of times. But, who can argue with me when I say that when Yao touches the ball, good things happen. Take last night as an example. In the first quarter, Yao was going OFF. Portland had to adjust and they started quick double teams. For a while, the Rockets were using this to their advantage by getting Yao the ball in the post and letting him swing it out to the open man. This was the story of the first quarter where the Rockets took their lead. Now, fast forward to late in the game. They went completely away from this strategy. I can't count how many times I saw a guard dribble over to Yao's side of the floor with him ready for the ball in the post, and the guard just dribbled away or swung it to the other side of the floor. Now, I'm not blaming the guards, they are probably executing Van Gundy's game plan. But, is it not painfully obvious that Yao is the biggest mismatch on the floor every single night except against Shaq? I mean, if you have one guy who outmatches every other center in the league how does he not get more touches? How do you not start taking advantage of every opportunity you can to exploit that mismatch?

The only way Yao is going to learn how to become even more dominant than he already can be is to keep getting the ball, keep getting opportunities to learn. As much as the mandate is for the Rockets to make the playoffs this year, I would be more happy to see the Rockets take more of a focus on developing Yao for one more season, even if it means we don't have a great season this year. The future dividends would be enormous.

2. Sane

Sane Member

I think Yao's been getting enough touches over the past few games. Regardless of FGA, pts, or assists, I just feel that the ball has gone through him enough recently for us to maximize his effectiveness.

Right now, what we need is shooting, a solid 3-pt threat. We also needs come consistency from JJ and Mobley. Francis is doing a good job despite last night's game, and I think he'll bounce back.

3. reptilexcq

reptilexcq Member

Rockets play good enough defense to win the game even when they don't shoot well overall. The reason they lost to Portland is really simple....they failed in 2 areas of the game: Giving up offensive rebounds too much and turnovers which translate into more shots for Portland. If they keep those 2 area down, they should win every game.

4. canoner2002

canoner2002 Contributing Member

Shot selection is the reason we don't see consistency. At least three times last night, Cat went for the worst shots. He was guarded closely, and standing still for 3 seconds, then decided to shoot over his defender with no faking or any other attemp to create some space for himself.

5. rocketjf

rocketjf Member

Yao was very active last night, waive his all the time when he got the position, a lot of times he was not doubled, but his teammates still choose to just ignore him. That's way the only played 1 quater good basketball, his teammates don't want him to score, especially Mobley.

6. kobo

kobo Member

Some observation. It's been like this almost every game this season. At some point of time in the game (especially Yap's been playing well in the first one or two quarters), the guards decides he needs to be shut down so that they can get theirs.

7. drm2dnk

drm2dnk New Member

The first game I watched of the rockets last night and I already know the problem of Yao Ming. He did pretty well since he got double teamed every time he tries to post up; he does need to post up more. But the other players such as mo taylor and francis and cato played worst than Yao. Mo was a ball hog and the baskets he made were lucky. Francis was sccared of mighty mouse damon the whole match and got beat good since damon was too quick for him. And worst of all was Cato he missed 5 layups or dunks which was pretty sad. He needs to learn how to make a basket.

8. DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver Member

:rolleyes: Another masterpiece from Yao-only fans.

9. rvpals

rvpals Member

It's definitely a serious problem if you have a big mismatch cover 1 on 1 and you don't use it. What happened there? time and time again the guard (especially Mobley) ignore Yao when it's so obvious that Yao has good position and he's the best option to go to in this play. It's so painful to see a teammate not wanting to pass the ball to the best option for some reason.

10. dfoolz

dfoolz Member

So let me guess you are a Francis and Mobley lover. Look those 2 are selfish. They dont want yao to be the man on this team. Dont deny it you can tell by just watching the games. Yao will be down low with some fly on him and they wont pass him the ball. Did you see Francis playing so dumb? I dont even want to get started on Mobley he just wants to be on TV. Just pass the damn ball to Yao!

11. kobo

kobo Member

Thanks for the label. You don't have to be a Yao-only fan to hate a dumb & selfish basketball. You can call me anything you like. Just pick from the following.
    - Yao-only fan
    - Steve hater
    - Cat hater
    - Guards haters
    Or how about selfish-basktetball hater?
    The result is the same. It's what I see. :rolleyes:

12. djunior

djunior Member

As selfish as Stephon Marbury, he dishes out over 8 assists per game, most from smart passes. Amare Stoudamire gets many easy dunks under the basket, from the Marbury penetration. Marbury has great eyes, able to see the opening.

When Steve Francis drives to the basket during the penetration, several defenders often try to cut him off. Then the defense begins to collapse, as Yao becomes a presence under the basket, open. But Steve just keeps driving anyway. Sometimes he makes the shot even if the defenders try to contain him; but i say a lot of the time he misses the shot. The pass could have been a lot smarter.

13. Asspirin

Asspirin Member

Yao should be aiming for 25/10 every night. That is the sign of a franchise center and one that will bring championships. Though i think he's content with being a second/third option right now.

14. Asspirin

Asspirin Member

And I don't think it's so much a mentality but cautiousness.
    He doesn't feel that he should take over the mantle of leading the team yet and fears the backlash if he does. He is patiently counting his time and doing what is statistically expected of him.

The best cure for this would to make him the co-captain in couple of years. Of course his English has to improve.

15. dbigfeet

dbigfeet Member

The problem is not selfishness (which does not happen as much as some like to think) or shot selection it is the Zone defense teams are playing. teams are collapsing on Yao the second he has position. Any half way decent player would hesitate if his center is serounded by 3 player even if it is Shaq or Tim Duncan and Yao is a level or 2 below Shaq or Tim. And warning for those who do not know this but this is a inconsistant, Streak shooting team. 5 guy can go 5 for 6 from the 3 line in one game and combine for 2-30 the next game. And Yao is just as streaky as the guards

16. sweetie

sweetie Member

This is a great thread. Im tired of steve and mobley having to get theirs. One thing Ive noticed lately is if cat is not in the flow of the offense,and only has like 5 points going into the fourth,and the rockets are close,he will intentially sacrifice the win as long as he can jack up crazy shots out of the flow of the offense so he can pad his stats.

I did however support steve and yao up to this point of the portland game,but seeing steve go for that pointless 2 points as the end to pad his stats made me realize he is JUST like cat. Twins almost. I reeeally hope that some team thinks highly of steve and cat so we can trade them this year and get equal value back atleast.(thats not saying much since I think they dont have high value). The time to trade steve was last year when you could get a brand,and he was an allstar. Steve wont be an allstar this year(our record will be .500 by allstar break) and Marbury and nash and payton and kobe will beat him out.

17. caowenyu

caowenyu Contributing Member

From wut i've seen in the last a few games, i really think cat not willing to pass the ball to Ming. Wut do you guys think that we trade cat to some teams and get Cassell back and move Steve to the SG?:) Cassell is a verteran with skills(especially in penetration, passing) and I bet he should love to play with Rockets again.

18. vcchlw

vcchlw Contributing Member

Do you think the Wolves are willing to give up Cassell after only 11 or 12 games? They are still unable to advance to the 2nd round in the playoff. :rolleyes:

19. yipengzhao

yipengzhao Contributing Member

Right there was this one shot that Cat rushed and the announcers (ESPN, the Portland game) were like: "whoa... you don't have to shoot it just because he haven't shot in a while."

20. DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver Member

FYI. I am a Houston Rockets lover. ;)

As hard as I've been trying, I just cannot figure out how all you Yao-only fans would jump to the conclusion that Steve and Cat DO NOT want to see Yao to be the man on this team. Were you privy to some private conversation between Steve and Cat that led you to this great discovery?