1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can Embiid and the Sixers hold off elimination in Game 5? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

NHL...Outdoors?!

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Lil Pun, Nov 22, 2003.

1. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Edmonton, Montreal to Play First Outdoor Game Ever in the NHL

EDMONTON, Alberta (Ticker) - "The Great One" returns to the Great White North as the NHL takes to the great outdoors.

Wayne Gretzky vowed never to participate in an old-timers' game. But the Heritage Classic is no ordinary old-timers' game. So Gretzky will join other members of the Edmonton Oilers' dynasty of the 1980s on Saturday afternoon as they play a team of Montreal Canadiens' greats at a makeshift rink in Commonwealth Stadium.

"From a personal point of view, my family and my friends, a lot of people that I know, never saw me in an Oiler uniform. I just thought that it was only fitting that I play one more game and my kids had an opportunity to see me in an Oiler uniform," said Gretzky, who spent nine of his 21 seasons in Edmonton.

More than 800,000 people tried to get tickets for the events at 56,000-seat home of football's Edmonton Eskimos. As late as Friday, VIP tickets were selling for $1,000 apiece on Internet auction sites.

"We all kind of grew up outdoors," Gretzky said. "Kids who grew up in Saskatchewan and Manitoba and all the way to Ontario and Newfoundland, that was their sense of growing up - dreaming of one day playing in the National Hockey League. And now you have guys that played in Edmonton, guys that played in Montreal are actually going to be out on the ice outdoors."

On Saturday night, after the alumni game, the current Oilers and Canadiens face off with wind chills expected to dip near zero. But there's no snow in the forecast.

"I hope the trainers can find something warm so we're not going to freeze our butts at the game," Canadiens captain Saku Koivu said. "I'm not too concerned about me and the other players, but the goalies, that's going to be tough on them."

Montreal goaltender Jose Theodore plans to wear a couple of extra layers of clothing. Koivu said he might don a toque on the bench between shifts.

"Actually, I don't think the weather will be a factor," Oilers defenseman Scott Ferguson said. "We've got some different gear to wear under our equipment, the same stuff the football players wear. And once we get moving, I'm sure it'll be fine."

Edmonton carries a four-game winning streak into Saturday's game while Montreal is wallowing at the bottom of the Northeast Division with an 8-10-1-1 record.

Both teams are a long way from the lofty perches they occupied when most of the participants in the alumni game were active players. In fact, the 45 old-timers and coaches have combined for 129 Stanley Cup championships.

Gretzky is one of seven Hall of Famers who will play. The others are Grant Fuhr and Jari Kurri of the Oilers and Larry Robinson, Guy Lafleur and Steve Shutt of the Canadiens. New York Rangers coach Glen Sather, who will be behind the Edmonton bench on Saturday afternoon, also is enshrined in the Hall.

With the Rangers off until Sunday, Sather will be joined by New York center Mark Messier, who returns to Edmonton as the only active player in the alumni game.

"I think the people in Edmonton will just think it's icing on the cake," Gretzky said of Messier's participation. "It will be like that special person who comes to a 10 year old's birthday party. It will be something very, very special."

Not long after Messier's participation was announced, the Canadiens added to their roster Claude Lemieux, who was active through the end of last season.

While playing outdoors is new to the NHL, it is not a unique experience on this scale. In October 2001, Michigan State and Michigan battled to a 3-3 tie before a record 74,554 fans at Spartan Stadium.

NHL facility operations manager Dan Craig helped build the sheet of ice for that game and supervised the construction of the rink at Commonwealth Stadium.

"The best way to make a solid layer of ice is you layer it a little bit at a time and you don't rush it," Craig explained. "You don't go up there and dump 1,200 gallons (of water) and walk away and wait for it to freeze. We do it in small layers with a hose and a fine mist."

That process is just about the only thing about Saturday's activities that isn't being done on a grand scale.

"There's such hype about this Heritage Classic, and that's as it should be," Oilers left wing Ryan Smyth said.

Smyth figures to be all business once the puck drops just after 7 p.m. EST. But he'll be like hockey fans around the world world while greats like Gretzky and Lafleur return to the ice.

"Everyone knows how big an Oilers' fan I am, so we'll see how things go," Smyth said. "But if I don't get to see much of it live, I'm going to be sure and get a tape of that game."

Could this be the beginnning of many attempts to try to save this faltering league?

2. JeeberD

JeeberD Contributing Member

GO OILERS!!!!

3. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

LUV YA BLUE!!

4. BBnP4l

BBnP4l Member

The NHL is faltering. Games can sell out without a problem. The problem is trying to show the games on TV. It is very difficult to capture the experience and fans will end up doing something else.

5. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

6. Grizzled

Grizzled Member

It was -18C (-4F) at game time. That’s a little chilly, but not to bad, for Canadian players (it could be a little nippy for the cream puff Americans playing though ;) ), but there were 57,000 fans sitting in a concrete football stadium to watch 2 games back to back, this one and an old timers game immediately before it. -20C if fine as long as you’re doing something. Sitting on a concrete slab for 6 hours at that temperature can get a little cold.

7. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

This is really a testament to Canadians' love of hockey. I cannot imagine ANYTHING getting my Texan a$$ to sit through 2 hours of BELOW ZERO WEATHER. That is just unbelievable.

8. Grizzled

Grizzled Member

I’m sure there’s a joke in there somewhere about brain function beginning to become impaired at -15C. :D

Here’s a clip, an interview, done after the game.

http://www.cbc.ca/clips/ram-lo/theodore_intvw031122.ram

-20C is cold enough so that your speech begins to get a little impaired. It’s like eating a big mouthful of ice cream and then trying to talk, except the cold is coming from the outside. You can hear that their speech is just a little impaired in this clip. You can play sports down past -30C, but past that it can start to hurt lungs (not permanently, just annoying pain). The air is so cold that it doesn’t have enough time to warm up as you breathe it in and it’s still cold enough to cause pain when it hits your lungs. That’s annoying, but what’s a guy supposed to do, stay home and sit on the couch? Ya gotta get out and have a little fun. ;)

(I’m sure you could tell me horror stories of heat and humidity that I would find hard to believe. I guess we all have our little adaptations where needed. ;) )
    [​IMG]

9. PieEatinFattie

PieEatinFattie Contributing Member

When it gets below 0 degree's F your gonna get cold. I don't care it your watching or playing.

10. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

I thought there was an exhibition outdoors in Vegas game back in the '90's with the L.A. Kings...:confused:

11. Preston27

Preston27 Contributing Member

Was it even televised? I remember on PTI them discussing the NHL not capitalizing on this oppurtunity.

12. Grizzled

Grizzled Member

It was televised in Canada. It was the Hockey Night in Canada first game. I don't know if anybody carried it in the US.

13. macho GRANDE

macho GRANDE Elvis, was a hero to most but................

No it wasn't carried in the US. But it will air as an Instant Classic this weekend I believe.

GO WILD!!!!

14. Preston27

Preston27 Contributing Member

Wow, I can't believe it didn't get aired here after the publicity it recieved. No wonder the NHL is having financial troubles.

15. macho GRANDE

macho GRANDE Elvis, was a hero to most but................

It conflicted with ESPN's College Football contract. David Stern needs to be the NHL's commish.

16. Molotov Cocktail

Molotov Cocktail Contributing Member

I love basketball and hockey both, basketball to the point where I played varsity high school in Oregon, and hockey to the point where I am now the chuck-a-puck announcer for our junior-A team here in Fairbanks.

Now, on the one hand it would have been cool to see a game like this televised in the States, but in a way I'm glad it wasn't: in my opinion, the lack of a huge TV contract for hockey has helped the NHL stay truer to hockey than the NBA has to basketball. So in a sneaky way I'm happy that hockey isn't as well publicized in the USA.

Not intended as an NBA flame at all, just my $0.02

That said, GO ROCKETS and GO CANUCKS :D