1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Blazers 11/21/2003

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Nov 20, 2003.

1. tacoman82

tacoman82 Member

I can't agree with you. According to your logic, Shawn Bradly, who is slightly taller than Yao, should then be getting more rebounds than Yao, but that's just not what's happening. Basketball is not like doing simple math calculations. You also said that Centers in this league averaging less than 10 RPG are pathetic, you should check the stats, there are only 5 Centers in the League that have more RPG than Yao (Dampier, Shaq, Ben Wallace, AD, and Kurt Thomas). Anyways, I hope that you are not a highschool student because your technical analysis is horrible. Well, nevermind, maybe going back to elementary would be a good option for ya~

2. SageHare6

SageHare6 Member

Thanks, danjojo.

I'm sure, as you know too, that there will be far more painful losses than this one, and just b/c we lose doesn't mean we should turn all negative and sour. It's good that folks like yourself stay positive and level-headed through this. Some NBA general managers who overreact make the very mistake of some of the posters on this board -- they jump to conclusions and demand immediate change. We need to have confidence in our team and see how things play out. To date, we're still doing pretty well. That doesn't mean we can't critique them or analyze them, but in the end, every player, every team is going to have their bad days. Panicking never gets us anywhere.

And despite the heated remarks on the board, I think it's great that people are reacting this passionately, as Rox fans. I have no doubt in my mind that our team will evolve into a championship caliber team. All the more reason why I say, "Rox fans, this is the time to enjoy the ride." It's the process that's most fun to watch. Think about it. 3 years from now, we can all say, "OH, remember back when, when the Rox were still doing this and that and how much they've improved?"

Good times are here and Great times are a' coming!

:p

theSAGE

3. droxford

droxford Member

I don't over-react to losses (though I don't like them). I don't expect us to win every game. When I look at a loss, I try to see the reasons for the loss. Then, when we play again, I try to see if we're trying to overcome those weaknesses. Usually, I only get angry if we lose because of the officials.

Sage, I agree that sending MoT in the game threw off our rhythm, but I also feel that since he's been out for so long, he's gotta start getting into the groove of things immediately, and that means sending him in the game. He doesn't have flow with the other players and that'll hurt us short-term, but after a few games, he should start meshing better, and that's not gonna happen if we leave him on the bench.

-- droxford

4. tacoman82

tacoman82 Member

Wait, are you trying to say that Yao gave up 1-2 offensive rebounds in the entire game, or 1-2 offensive rebounds on several single occasion?
    If the first one is what you are trying to say, then the answer is simple, have you ever seem ANY human being that does not give up an offensive rebound to the opponent? If the second one is what you are trying to say, then you are even more stupid that I imagined. Let me teach you, when a ball hits the rim and bounces out, the person who grabs that rebound get only 1 rebound record, repeat with me, 1 rebound, you don't get 2. So, did you proof-read your post? OK, then shut up.

You are always trying to shut other poeple up by claiming that you have watched the game. If you have really watched the game, then you would know that the Blazers shot a lot of long range shots, these shots mostly tend to bounce far away from the basket. Which becomes a lot harder to Centers and PFs to grab them, but makes it easier for opponents, or your guards to get them. So it's obvious that the opponent to get a bit more Offensive rebounds. So, have you really watched the game? No? then shut up.

5. tannersearle78

As of today, Pike is BACK on the roster!

Doesn't mean he'll play minutes though.

Van Gundy said he wanted to give Pike a full practice to see where he's at, and, well, the first full practice won't be until Sunday.

It would be cool to have him play against the Clips, his former team.

But back to this game. I really really really thought of how crucial someone like Pike would have been in this game. We just missed too many crucial outside shots in the second half, while the Blazers were making all their outside shots (I stopped counting how many three's Damon Stoudamire made).

I can't wait for Pike to get going. Even if he just comes off the bench, his presence will be very much appreciated.

On another note . . . poor Francis.

I've never seen him not score in a game before.

He scored the first two points,a nd I was like, "Cool beans! Francis is hot!"

And then Francis didn't score for the rest of the game.

The last basket Francis made at the last second doesn't really count. An uncontested lay-up--I really felt sorry for him, and I'm sure he almost got into a fight because one of the Blazers probably made fun of him for most likely padding his stats with that last shot.

It's a good thing John Amaechi wasn't there. Amaechi would have ripped Rasheed Wallace and Q. Woods in half.

6. droxford

droxford Member

Where did you see this?

(note: we coulda used his help scoring off the bench tonight!)

-- droxford

7. tannersearle78

It's mentioned in the after article notes of the recap of the blazers game in the Houston Chronicle.

I think they meant that as of Friday, meaning after today's game, Pike is ready to at least wear a Rockets uniform and sit on the bench with his team.

Whether he plays or not is up to Van Gundy,a nd Van Gundy made it clear that he won't play Pike until he gets to see how he holds in a full practice (which won't be until Sunday).

8. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

The Rox lost this game because of one simple fact ... Turnovers and the 17 offensive rebounds by Portland. It was rediculous how many time Portland got second chances.

The Rockets need to work on beating the press as well. The only way to beat a press is to attack it and you should end up with easy buckets. You have to make them pay for pressing. The Rox beat the press and then pull it out to set up the offense after 10 seconds elapsed trying to get the ball past midcourt. I wish they would push it a little more in these situations, but I guess I would not want to throw it to Cato for a layup either since he might airball it.

I think Yao also has had problems holding on to the ball lately. When he catches he needs to keep the ball up high because he keeps bringing it down and letting players strip it. Other than that he had a great game. Hope he can continue shooting like tonight.

Just wasnt the Rox night. Hopefully they will be ready in a couple days for the next game.

9. Chaser

Chaser Member

No Kidding huh. He Had to break out of his season long slump against us :(

But the turnovers and the offensive boards we gave up hurt us much more.

10. canoner2002

canoner2002 Contributing Member

All true, but the rest of Rox need to know "boxing out". Small guys should box out opponents then big man can get the rebound. Instead, Yao is often doing the boxing out work. Wrong assignment.

11. canoner2002

canoner2002 Contributing Member

Guards lost their men so often and Yao had to come out to put a hand in the face of the jump shooters. He should stay down low and collect rebound, but he didn't tonight, not all his fault. Our D stunk.

12. djunior

djunior Member

Francis did have some words against Quentel Woods after the game.

13. djunior

djunior Member

Ok, I'm trying to be fair right here. Here's what I think, from the bottom of my heart:

1. Marbury & Francis both can score like 20 points a game.
    2. Marbury & Francis are quick & good at 1-on-1 games.
    3. Marbury & Francis love to take shots, as they lead their team in shot attempts. They don't have high accuracy from the field. HOWEVER, Marbury is a much smarter passer than Francis. Starbury IS a point guard

14. Nomar

Nomar Member

I think our offense needs to be either Francis creating on his own, pick and roll with Francis, or feeding Ming in the post.

Don't do anything else.

Also, Ming has to rebound better. He doesn't box out well at all.

Cato is the only bright spot.

15. J DIDDY

J DIDDY Member

yeah I like that could have happened. Wallac would have ripped Amaechi's manboobs off

16. montgo

montgo Contributing Member

I missed the game last night, but read the stats and looking at it from the outside without seeing it live, I would say that our leading player only scoring 4 points has a lot to do with this loss.

I am sure you can break the numbers to show more turnovers and more free throws....bla bla bla.......

But, the reality is that when your top player does not get his average and quite frankly misses it by 400%+ you will probably lose.....bottomline. I will bet that this is true nearly 80% of the time.

I am not blaming Steve or anyone else because I did not see the game, but only getting 4 points when he averages 17ish and we lost by 7 or so....there is your problem last night.....

But, still, if we go 2-3 or better I am going to be happy. I thought we would get a win tonight, but we should be the clips and probably Seattle, so throw a steal in their some where and we are good to go....But Stevie needs to score his average to win on this road trip....

17. djunior

djunior Member

:eek: How come nobody mention Moochie?? He was the one who stopped by the Rockets' scoring drought in the 4th quarter by making a bounce pass ricochet off a crowd of hands to Yao for a slam that pulled the Rockets to within three.

18. montgo

What else did Moochie do last night? This is probably why no mention of Moochie.....he did not help the cause overall....

19. montgo

Amechi rules...the PHd needs to be in there at crunch time :eek:

20. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

i think JVG made a couple of booboos, for exampel he was disrupting yao's game with some untimely subs in the first half. also houston's lack of cohesive plays down the stretch told. portland did'nt play great by any stretch of the imagination but i thought mighty mouse played he's best game as a blazer in over two years. he was everywhere in the second and fourth quarter when we needed him, overall both teams can play better so i think a loss like this wont bother JVG or atleast it should'nt.