1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

After Game Scuffle

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by benzman501, Nov 22, 2003.

1. benzman501

benzman501 Member

Just caught the highlights but what was the deal between Steve and Jeff McGinnis? Always great to see JIm Jackson run into the shot cocked fist and all...thought it would be Cat and his posse of Moochie, Terrance Morris and Calvin Murphy....
    Rockets always have problems off the court in Portland...see Vernon "Mad" Maxwell....

2. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

I think in the last seconds, Francis went in for a layup and McCinnis roughed him up. They exchanged words and Steve shoved him. Bad move by Steve for obvious reasons, but we'll also have to read posts about how immature he is for a while.

3. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

I have a tape and McGinnis was no where near Francis on the game ending layup. Stoudamire trailed him to the basket and gave him a "good game" hug as the buzzer went off. It had to be something way earlier or perhaps it was some trash talking.

4. Yao Wink

Yao Wink Member

McInnis was asked after the game and he said that Woods and Francis were talkin' mess while lined up for free throws. I guess Steve was frustrated by the loss and Woods was either continuing to talk after the game (probably how Francis doubled his points total with that last open lay-up) or Francis needed to pick on a guy.

Either way, it was good to see Jackson step in aggresively like he did. He is becoming a big time leader on this team.

5. moomoo

moomoo Member

I didn't see it, but Bill Worrell said it was between Steve and Qyntel Woods. I don't think the KNWS51 broadcast caught the scuffle on tape.

Anybody got a clip of this?

6. Woofer

Woofer Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/2242215

If the Rockets were frustrated with losing, it showed most clearly after the game. Francis dropped in an uncontested, breakaway layup at the buzzer to finish with four points, matching his career low.

Francis and Cuttino Mobley had been infuriated at a comment Blazers forward Qyntel Woods had made moments earlier. Mobley had spoken to Portland guard Jeff McInnis about Woods, before McInnis seemed to take exception at Francis' needless layup.

While McInnis and Francis shouted briefly at one another, Woods seemed to reach at Francis from behind McInnis.

Francis cocked a fist but did not throw it. Mobley had to be restrained by his friend, Blazers forward Rasheed Wallace.

Asked how he saw the exchange, Van Gundy said, "Who cares."

Very immature behavior to let a youngster bait you into a fight with a comment. Wallace the voice of reason, who woulda thunk it.

7. tannersearle78

Francis isn't a fighter . . . . he's a lover.

8. whats up

whats up Contributing Member

Besides me, does anyone else find this a little funny? :D

9. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I'm still waiting for the day that we see JVG grasping onto Shaq's leg.

10. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

No fines or suspensions can come from this can they? I hope not...:confused:

11. djunior

djunior Member

That's not a very good example of leadership.

12. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I did, and I agree. It' s not a big deal.

13. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

There is nothing wrong with a little intensity, although it would have been great during the game...

Go Franchise, Yao and Rox...

I can't forget Jackson...

14. DanTanna

DanTanna Contributing Member

He loves Stoudamire so much he gave him 23 points. Sweet!

15. playahata

playahata Member

Steve played like complete crap....he was pissed that he let Stoudamire dominate him, and decided to get a cheap 4 points. That's why the Blazers took exception.

16. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

I don't see what's cheap about scoring points when you're down. If the Rockets had been up by 30 and Steve had made a three or dunked uncontested, that would have been one thing. But the Rockets were down. Teams throw up last second prayers all the time and if they go in, no one calls them "cheap" points. Obviously the Rockets weren't going to win the game, but what's wrong with scoring?

Seems to me that these allegations are more of a manifestation of frustration with or dislike of Steve. But that's not a new sentiment on this board. The guy played like crap, but HE didn't single-handedly lose the game.

17. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Rasheed Wallace diffused the situation?

Van Gundy, the man who humped Alonzo's leg, says "who cares"?

BIZZARO WORLD

18. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Ok, we've heard from the side that says Steve was stupid to go in for a meaningless layup. How about from the side that would've said "he's a quitter - if he had any heart, he would've played till the very end" had he decided not to run down and score?

I agree with Van Gundy's halftime statements where he said the guards either score too much or too little - it's a no-win situation that everybody would forget if we could just win.

That being said, they're both knuckleheads.

19. shawn786

shawn786 Member

seriusly its not that big of a deal, just let the guys play. Steve was just a lil frusterated so he took som anger out i think its good it shows he really wanted to win

20. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Please...

I want our players to be pissed off after a loss. It would be a nice change of pace from the last 4 years.