1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ewing ....come on coach........

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by sportfans, Nov 20, 2003.

Tags:
  1. sportfans

sportfans New Member

I wonder did Ewing pay to sit and only pratice some shots with yao. I see no improvement on his post up move what so ever,or even worst. Can you (Ewing) coach yao to hold the ball face the opponent not with his back. I see some advantage if he doing that way.

1. jump shot (more accurate) better than turnaround (miss)
    2. look for pass more easier
    3. pump fake , dribble then hook shot or dunk right in the middle.
    4. turn over should be less (no weak side take away ball)
    5. more space and more time for react
    6. opponent can't push you all the way out of the "PAINT"

I belive with this adjustment it can help yao alot , correct me if I 'm wrong.

Right now , seriously yao is very suck on the post. Hey (EWING ARE YOU FEEL SHAME) YOU ARE COACH NOW , DO WHAT COACH SUPPOSE TO DO

2. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

I think he has helped Cato atleast... I mean I see a little more polished version of Cato, now if the congrats go to Ewing or someone else I dunno

3. rockets688

rockets688 Member

Yea, good idea, lets tell Yao not to post up, but to face the basket, like...um...no 7'6 player ever has done before. Spectacular.

4. wakkoman

wakkoman Contributing Member

its like JVG said...the coaches cant tell great players what to do to play better ball....they find the way themselves

yao is a finesse player, i doubt hes going to be dominating solely based on aggression in his entire career. BUt of course there will always be some power moves by Yao as we see in every game....its just not going to be like that almost every move like Shaq is

Ewing can teach him a couple things, but thats about it. It probably wont have much effect on him

5. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ewing's tremendous success with Kwame Brown has transferred over.

6. SoSoDef76

SoSoDef76 Contributing Member

Point well taken.

7. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

One thing I would like to see Yao Ming do more of is catch the ball facing the basket and shoot it with out putting it on the floor. Cato is starting to do that a lot more and Ewing used to do it a lot. A lot of the great centers from time to time would step away from the basket and catch and shoot. Bill Laimbeer was the best I ever saw at this. He would park his ass at the free throw line and catch and shoot with out ever putting the ball on the floor.

Yao Ming seems to need to but the ball on the floor to get into a rythem before he shoots.

8. tannersearle78

I still can't believe we declined a point-blank, begging offer from Moses Malone to help Yao out as a private Center coach.

9. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Pat is worthless.

10. ty185

ty185 Member

correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought yao was originally quite a nice face-the-basket shooter, and while we were talking about better his post moves, we mean more about developing his back-to-the-basket game instead of the reverse?

11. djunior

djunior Member

Ewing's tremendous success with Kwame Brown has transferred over??? This is a laughable statement. Kwame? Oh man, i can tell you, a guy named Jeff Foster in Indiana is had better games than Kwame!

12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I think it is a bit early to start Ewing bashing. I think Yao has improved his agressiveness and has improved his rebounding - especially offensively. Ewing is always in Yao's ear to "be the man" and I think slowly we are seeing this. This is not a sprint here. Let's give everyone some time. There are a lot of little things I am sure Yao has picked up from Ewing that he has learned.

I just think it is a bit early to start this stuff.

13. Sacudido

Sacudido Contributing Member

Djunior, I'm fairly sure pasox2 was being sarcastic. :D

14. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Well, Yao's assists are up this season, so thankfully Ewing hasn't been teaching him his theory on passing it out of the post...

15. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

Is this the "Let's Fire Ewing Thread"?

:rolleyes:

16. oldgunrules

oldgunrules Member

This is a bit unfair to Ewing. I think Kwame's problem has more to do with himself and MJ than coaching. First off, KB is just a highschooler, and he is no LeBron James. Second, he couldn't get enough playing time (not just garbage time, but meaningful or even crucial time) to gain experience. Third, as a center, I am not sure how much Ewing can offer a power forward.

17. bottlerocket

bottlerocket Member

If Ewing is such a loser coach...then what does that say about JVG? He is the one who hired him.

18. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

I don't like the idea of having Yao put the ball on the floor, I don't think he has very good handles and he is 7'6". Now I would like to see him do more face the basket, catch and shoot plays.

19. hardeji

hardeji Member

Until Ming gets stronger, he's never going to have a rim-rattling game (ala, Shaq). Let's be patient and be happy that he's got strong away-from-the-basket skills.

20. kanevil

kanevil Contributing Member

Yao has a good jump shot, i dont know why he doesnt utilize it more often!!