1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2017] Hurricane Season

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Cohete Rojo, Apr 17, 2017.

1. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

What did I miss? Why is there a panic to get gas? I know we're short in Houston. Why the panic in Austin or Dallas?

2. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

genuine shortage plus panic buying makes even bigger shortage and spurs even more panic buying

3. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

4. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

This is probably a long shot but filing my claim on my cars and they are saying there are no rentals in the Houston area for the foreseeable future. Does anyone happen to know of anywhere to rent a car? I had to come out to the Webster area from my house because it is under water and so are my vehicles. Thanks for any info. Stay strong my fellow Clutchfans community!

DudeWah likes this.
  5. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Hypothetical: if you had to choose between donating to homeless shelters post harvey or animal shelters post harvey then which one woukd you choose?

Probably a lot of scared doggos out there...

6. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

For me, people are more important than any pet. Not even close.

7. Xenon

Xenon Contributing Member

True, but the euro and gfs has backed off of any significant development from this Gulf system and just pulls some energy along a trough quickly to the NE. The concerning thing of course is Irma. This will be a monster heading towards Domican Republic, Puerto Rico etc. The potential is there for it to enter the Gulf but this is way far out as subject to LARGE errors in the track. This model below is in 10 day fantasy land for computer models but nevertheless it is heading west for now.

[​IMG]

8. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

that last video is probably the BEST thing I've seen today. thanks for posting that.

9. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Honestly, im actually leaning towards donating to the animal charities as my harvey contribution.

Humans are smart and will figure out ways to work, eat,and survive eventually but some of these dumb dogs floatin around out there are pretty damn helpless. They are prolly really dumb and scared lol

Sadat X likes this.
  10. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

No judgment here.

A trustworthy source: https://www.austinpetsalive.org/hurricane-harvey-evacuations/

11. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

Meh, you can say you were flooded or use sick days if you have to. No one needs gas right now.

The only reason there may be a shortage is because they shut down refineries and truck drivers who deliver fuel are also hurricane victims.

Houstunna likes this.
  12. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Brown Lost It likes this.
  13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Not sure about Austin, but Dallas is on a special blend that I'm guessing is primarily refined in Beaumont. Not sure how long it will take the refineries to get back up and running. Houston has gotten a waiver from the EPA on its blend, though this may be revoked shortly if not already.

Bandwagoner and leroy like this.
  14. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

Irma looks hella deadly as the days go by.

At what point do you think Houston should evacuate?

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I wouldn't even worry about it until it gets in the gulf, if it gets in the gulf.

Xenon likes this.
  16. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

It's at least 12 days out right now... give it at least a week before panicking

macho GRANDE likes this.
  17. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

I support the American Red Cross for they do a great service when natural catastrophic events occur. Still, they should be able to respond in a timely manner how much of the huge amounts of monies will be redirected to each area. I mean, they are getting lots of donations so accountability is necessary to keep up with the public's trust.

18. Pirytic

Pirytic Member

More will likely think of the people before the animals therefor it is justified to be one who thinks of the demographic given less attention.

DonKnock and Daddy Long Legs like this.
  19. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Well, today has been another surreal day for me. I went to bed last night at my motel in Beaumont thinking things were looking up. When I woke this morning I found out that water had been shut off across the city. Shortly after that the motel informed us they were closing and everyone had to leave. A quick look at drivetexas didn't show me any possible routes out of town. I have a 4 year old, and things were detoriarating quickly. They had ****ing tanks rolling down I10 right outside my room!

Thank God I remembered them talking about the Zello app on the news the night before. I got on, jumped in a few channels and got directed to the Harvey Mapping channel. In there I asked if anyone knew a route from there to Houston, and thankfully someone replied and said if we had a truck, we may be able to make it out on hwy 90.

Drove down 90 for a while and came to a road block. At that point panic starts to set in, but after talking to the cops they said if we were in a truck, we could try. We got in a convoy with about 20 other trucks and drove through several miles of water that was halfway up the doors. Somehow we made it, and my brother was waiting on the other side to take us back home.

I'm feeling so many emotions now and so thankful to be back at my house. I found my place has some minimal water damage, but I don't give a damn right now. I lost my car out in Beaumont, don't give a **** about that either. I'm just thankful that my family is safe, and that we are back home.

20. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member