1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

90s - 2000s NBA All-Stars votes

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by OTMax, Aug 16, 2017.

1. OTMax

OTMax Member

I decided to look for all-star votes in the 90s, just to see if there was any record of them and of course they are to be found on Basketball Reference. Pretty cool to see, most votes seem to be based on previous year stats / success with the team and or as a player. Michael Adams got in in 91-92 after a 26ppg season in 90-91 for example. Otis Thorpe got in in 91-92 too after that great run without Olajuwon. Speaking of which, somehow Thorpe is not even in the top 10 votes, so does anyone know the story behind that? A specific reason why the coaches picked him? Maybe the Iron 500 game straight recognition helped :)

It was a popularity contest as well with some guys like BJ Armstrong starting in 93-94 even though he didn't even do great in any year, but the 3-peat I guess gave him the #1 in votes at guard in the East. It's crazy to see a guy like Dan Majerle being an All-Star 3 times in a 4-year span and KJ 3 times in a 5-year span. Majerle was even #1 in 94-95 voted at guard in the West, ahead of Sprewell, Hardaway, Stockton, Kidd! Heck Gary Payton was tenth that year. Guess that Robert Pack 'whooping' didn't do him any good ;) KJ somehow gets overlooked in NBA history, even though he averaged 20 and 10 for 3 straight years. He did fine without Barkley too.

With regards to our guys, outside of Dream, somehow we only managed to get two guys in the top 10 votes in their category so not overall during our early 90s success and that's in 94-95 with Maxwell at 8th in voting, Thorpe 9th. Definitely not based on that first stint of the season where Thorpe was injured even and Maxwell went back to just shooting threes. Kenny surprisingly, depending on your opinion of him, never had a great year statistically aside from 3pt percentage but was obviously better than stats suggested. Same with Maxwell, who actually did have a good run statistically in 90-91 and 91-92, but was probably more known for his antics.

Otis Thorpe had some great years, his best statistically in Sacramento 86-88 with 20 and 10, but had so much competition that he never cracked the top 10 then. He did though in 96-97, but only 8th of all forwards in the East. Steve Francis made the All-Star team 3 times, Yao & T-Mac obviously made it a couple of times and were all worthy. I found some surprises like Mobley only once in top 10 of guards, despite great play and stats to back that up. More positive, though not really surprising, is Ron Artest who came in 4th in 08-09, ahead of Carmelo with 1.3 million votes but didn't make it. In 07-08 and 08-09 both Battier & Scola managed to crack the top 10 of forwards. Even in 09-10 freaking Ariza & Aaron Brooks, the latter 5th out of all guards in the West, cracked top 10 in their category. Yay Chinese voters!

There some near misses in the 90s that maybe would've added some recognition to their careers in Muggsy Bogues and Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf. I think people who were around recognize their talent, but not viewed necessarily as All-Star type guys. Based on actual votes then Chris Jackson should've been in in 90-91, Bogues nearly missed it that year. Again, based on actual votes Bogues should've made it in 92-93 and even more obvious in 94-95 when he was in top 10 votes overall. Abdul-Rauf nearly missed it again in 93-94, based on his Most Improved 92-93 award probably. Crazy how especially Bogues never made it, but I'm surprised he got that much love to begin with. I know he was a fan favorite and a great player so good to see.

Also in the 2000s, for example Camby. I don't know how people viewed Marcus Camby back then or how people look at his career now, but as a fan of him when he became a Rocket and looking at his success with New York and Denver in particular it's crazy he never made the All-Star team. His stats do not reflect that, only shot blocking wise, but he did get votes and his talent is undeniable. So he was #9 in votes in 99-00 overall, 4th for forwards and didn't make it. In 04-05 3rd center, didn't make it. In 05-06 8th overall in voting, 2nd at center behind Yao, didn't get in!!

Jason Williams also pretty crazy, he received almost a million votes in 00-01, only behind Kidd & Kobe and didn't make it. I think they changed the system with coaches no longer picking everyone outside of the top 5 correct? In any case, there are some guys in there who definitely should've been All-Stars based on votes and actual play too but somehow didn't. Then again, a guy like Cassell barely made the top 10 of guards (in 3 different years) and both him and Thorpe made it in a year they weren't even in the top 10. Both were definitely worthy.

Just wanted to share this and if anybody wants to shed some light on why some of these guys didn't make it, the voting back then or share some of the things that surprise(d) you that would be greatly appreciated. Any comments are welcome of course.

BigShasta likes this.
  2. jbasket

jbasket Member

I did a ctrl F and only saw Carmelo, but no Anthony. Were you talking about Carmelo Vasquez or

The fabled Carmelo Anthony?