1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA trade rumors: Knicks keeping Carmelo Anthony over taking Rockets offer?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jayfree, Aug 4, 2017.

1. flusched

flusched Member

Acquiring Chris Paul was a win now approach. Acquiring Carmelo Anthony is a win now approach. Starting Capela because he's young doesn't agree with a win now approach.

Detroit gave Boban a 6 million a year raise from San Antonio. That's a 600 percent raise, and then they put him third on the depth chart. He didn't get enough minutes to qualify for the official PER leader at Detroit like he did with San Antonio. The league is stupid. Detroit is stupid. That's why people like to play in fantasy leagues. The real league is too stupid.

2. Vivi

Vivi Member

Poor Trez lol, didn't even remember that game tbh...

3. dkim1984

dkim1984 Member

Interesting. He is surprisingly great from the free throw line. Guy seems like his hands sweat glue.

Does he have endurance or foul trouble? Or maybe he's just good for inside physicality and length but doesn't absorb playcalls that well?

4. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

We are a poor choice to use as when judging bigs given how terrible our interior defense is.

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Love Boban, but I wonder how effective he'd be in a playoff series, especially against a team like Golden State. Seems that he'd be a bigger defensive liability than an offensive asset in such match-ups. So, I am not giving up that much for him. Capela is the one young upside piece and good trade asset that the team has.

6. Vivi

Vivi Member

Pretty much what i think...i would still like to get Boban since he's also cheap, but as a bench guy, as a starter i'd say no.

Having him with Capela and Nene would be cool though, that's a pretty various rotation at center.

7. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Popovich and Gundy are just "stupid" for not playing Boban.

It has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with the fact that he is a helpless shitsack on defense, specifically in the pick and roll. Or that he can barely get up and down the court for 4 minutes at a time.

Manos and Pen15clubber like this.
  8. flusched

flusched Member

Boban was second on Pop's depth chart at a salary of 1 million a year. Boban was third on Gundy's depth chart at a salary of 7 million a year. I'd say that Gundy is at least 7 times dumber than Pop.
    Boban was second on Pop's depth chart at a salary of 1 million a year. Boban was third on Gundy's depth chart at a salary of 7 million a year. I'd say that Gundy is at least 7 times dumber than Pop. Capela is a decent backup, but to my mind he will never be worthy of starter minutes.

9. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Oh my goodness nothing to do with Melo lol

Pen15clubber and Crashlanded19 like this.
  10. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

All these Melo threads always descend into talking nothing about Melo.

11. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

1. He doesn't look like he moves very fluidly to me. I'm calling it now that he has a short career with knee problems.

2. He is slow. There is no chance he can maintain the pace our team likes to roll with. This means very little minutes will be logged.

3. Kind of down the same path of being slow, but he is a one dimensional post player. We don't play the type of half court set offense for that type of center role because it would stagnate our pace.

This poor mans knee's will break down even sooner than I imagine if on our squad with all the pick and rolls we perform

He looks like he has some decent post game offense though, I'll give him credit for that. A good big man that is an atrocious fit for our team. Big ole' body hanging out in the mid lane taking up space for Harden and Paul to work.

12. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Not everything is about force. It doesn't have to be the front office fighting tooth and nail against some crazy diktat.

We already know that Alexander has influenced many decisions. He's the one who told Morey not to tank our way to higher picks and rebuilding, which is what Morey would otherwise have done. Alexander is also the one who couldn't stand watching the team and forced McHale out 11 games into a season. If you're the GM, you listen to the owner. You juggle your boss's instructions with your responsibility to improve the team. Sometimes you tell him he's better off letting you do it your way. Sometimes you find a way to make him happy while still doing your job.

We also just saw the Rockets sign Harden and Morey to long-term deals right before Alexander put the team up for sale. Everyone here knows that's not an accident.

And we know Carmelo Anthony has star appeal. As a media attraction and an asset, the Rockets have extra value with him on the roster. That's true even if, to get him, we give up players and picks that risk making us slightly worse, on balance, in ways that aren't clear until after the sale. For example, by thinning us out so that Harden is shot by season's end, or an injury forces us to play our 9th man instead of the 4th or 6th man we gave up in trade.

Right now we seem to be at an impasse, in which what we've offered hasn't met what NY wants. I just want to be sure that if this deal ends up happening, it's because they gave ground, not us.

Rockets2K and J_Hunter_1977 like this.
  13. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

The Rockets have 3 top 10 PER guys now:eek:

14. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

74-8 :eek:

DonKnock likes this.
  15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I am no knee doctor, but as for being too slow to "maintain the pace our team likes to roll with"-- that video was with him playing very well against our team, and beating our team in a 114-109 game.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/201704070HOU.html

Not sure I'd want him playing 30+mpg, but he might just be useful for 20 mpg somewhere. Even with this team, he can still fill the Capela offense role as someone to finish around the basket or suck defender into the paint.

16. Manos

Manos Member

Come on man... While his stats in those few minutes are good, how much of that is garbage time? This guy played 8 minutes a game in only 35 games. Look up the Value Added and Estimated Wins Added for the others you listed and compare that to Boban, bit of a gap there, eh?

17. ClutchCitity81

It will happen. New York has to figure out how they want to take. Not a matter of if the take. It's a matter when and how they are taking it. Go Rockets. One thing is for sure this summer has been the Summer of Melo.

18. flusched

flusched Member

Boban's high minutes marks were with San Antonio. He played 37 minutes in a 96-91 win against Dallas. 7 of 9 from the field, 8 of 8 from the line. 22 points, 12 boards, 1 assist, 2 blocks, 3 fouls, 1 turnover.

That's a bad example for assists. In short stints he's done better than that. What you see as clogging the lane I see as working the inside out game. He's a good passer. He can pull the defense in and distribute to the outside. He has the largest hands in the NBA. He one hands a basketball like it's a softball. He doesn't just block a shot as much as just ripping it out of the shooter's hands.

His presence alone slows attacks on the rim. He hasn't faired well against good centers and he might not improve with more work.

The odds are that he would suck, but if you are in a win now mode it would be worth the risk. To me Capela isn't worth the effort. He's never going to get the job done, so there isn't anything to lose, and actually a plus to just get Capela off the roster.

19. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

J.H.C., this thread has devolved into a discussion of Boban Marjanovic?

Why not, I guess. Ain't nothin' else happenin'.

20. JD88

JD88 Member

Then I suppose the Knicks will Knick...

Until mid-November, when Melo completely hangs it up, and they inevitably end up paying him +$20m to do nothing but jack up 15 shots a night. Sounds like a solid investment. Lol

Meanwhile Houston, with or without Melo, will be a #2 seed out west.