1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I'll watch my Rockets, but outside that I'm done with the NBA

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Moleb, Jun 4, 2017.

1. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Many hardcore fans say they are done with NBA, but I doubt that is true. I think they will come back if they really like basketball, and GS plays some truly great team basketball on both ends.

2. Handles

Handles Member

The NBA is seriously boring in its current state. It's a joke. In preseason I was 99.9% sure it would be Cleveland vs GS in the finals with warriors winning it all and... no surprises. Congrats to the warriors I guess? Well earned, I guess? Easily the least impressive (arguably least deserved) finals win that I've personally seen.

I'm glad I foresaw this reality last summer, because this was my least watched NBA season BY FAR. I'm used to watching 70 or so rockets games and a dozen or so other games throughout the season, in addition to as many playoff games that I have time for. This season, I watched maybe 50 rockets regular season games, 2 other regular season games, and the rockets playoffs.

And I usually follow playoffs (all teams) very closely. Once the rockets were out of the playoffs however, I didn't watch a single game for the rest of it. I boycotted the rest of playoffs because honestly, when the remainder of the games are that predictable it's just so boring to watch. I can think of dozens of other more enjoyable things to spend my free time on.

Then we've got accusations of rigged games and media bias (russ4mvp), which are two totally different topics, but both contributed to my lack of passion for the league this season. But the biggest problem of all: as much as I used to like Kevin Durant, he basically ruined the NBA for me. Until the league parity is fixed, I won't be following closely.

3. MD_in_Training

We will see next year what the ratings are. I agree with the posters here that say they have watched less basketball this year than previous years. Other than the Rockets, I've seen maybe 2 games beginning to end.

And no, "beautiful basketball" is not what is fun to watch. It's a combination of good play AND competition.
    Going by your logic, people would love a league where Lebron, Anthony Davis, CP3, KAT, PG, Russell all go to the Warriors this offseason. They would go 82-0, then 16-0 with a 30 point win margin.

4. Handles

Handles Member

How great (and unrealistic) would it be to have another league pop up, similar to ABA/NBA times? New league would incorporate uncapped player salaries (but hard cap on team salary), playoff structure where less than half the league actually makes playoffs (what a joke, the current format), less regular season games to foster quality product, etc.

Players would never go for it so it will never happen. But one can dream... if only they fixed the NBA.

5. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I love NBA basketball and have for a quarter century. But I'm not supporting this product. We need competition in the league. I just wanna be clear that I have no issues with dynasties. The NBA has had those since its inception. But even the greatest dynasties had to actually try to win their titles.

Blurr#7 and Handles like this.
  6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I encountered lots of casual fans who wanted to watch Game 4 to see if GS could sweep the Cavs.

7. hoopster325

hoopster325 Member

David Stern created this issue when he sold off Seattle to a bunch of thieves in Oklahoma. Durant would still be in Seattle if the Sonics were around.

8. Phreak3

Phreak3 Contributing Member

Just wondering what people's sentiment about this is now after all the trades and summer league hype.

Are you still turned off because of parity issues with the Warriors?

or

Are you excited to see how next season will unfold?

9. OTMax

OTMax Member

NBA is flawed and could easily be fixed but truth is neither the league nor players want competition and balance. Owners and part of the fan base do. Players care about power, money, rings and 'freedom'. They won't sacrifice this for balance.

10. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Nba is the worst league by far when it comes to selling hope because players are too empowered and parity is chit.

That being said bball as a sport is >>>>>>>>>>>>baseball>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>football

So i will keep watching out of love for the game.

The league really needs to institute strict hard caps (no luxury tax decision bullchit. Give everyone a level playing field) franchise tags, and expand max salaries to where each star player takes a higher % of the teams hard cap.

Owners gotta wait players out at the next cba. These players are way too empowered. It's masochistic to be a fan of some of these nba teams.

Hopefully this benefits the rockets with two superstars trying to force their way here this summer though.

Sidarma likes this.
  11. Sidarma

Sidarma Member

The real football or ..... I wonder

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  12. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

DudeWah likes this.