1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Mannix] If Rox get Melo, Lebron could go to Houston

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jul 19, 2017.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Great. If they want to make it happen and are determined to do it, then they can make it happen. I've agreed with that all along. But THEY have to make it happen. Lebron can't get his max, Paul can't his max and Melo has to play for less than he's making now. I have no idea whether they want to do that or not and neither do you, you are only speculating that they'd all be willing to sacrifice to make it work. Maybe they are, like I said I have no idea. What I KNOW is that they can't do it if they aren't willing to take less money and I don't mean a million here or there.

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Just to expand on this...

That team is certainly a better collection of talent than the Warriors, but you are right, I'm not sure they can actually beat the Warriors. Would be fascinating to see how they blended their talents and made it work. You'd need shooting at every other roster spot. Where the Warriors kill you is how efficient they are up and down the lineup shooting 3s and well they fit together.

theDude likes this.
  3. basketballholic

And they will. One year sacrifice by Paul and Melo gets it done.

The only factors that will stop it is

1. If Cleveland makes a magical move and pulls it together and tops the Warriors this coming season. I don't see this happening. I think the Cavs have screwed themselves over. But they could go radical and move Kyrie for a kings random or pull off the melo/love swap and make magic happen.

If the Cavs win the championship next season it is going to be difficult for LeBron to walk on them.

2. If we win a championship without LeBron it presents LeBron with a difficult decision as well. Durant walked to a team that lost the Finals. Would LeBron walk to a team that won the Finals? What would that say about future championships he wins and his legacy if he joined a team that had just won the championship without him? It would be quite a conundrum for him to choose to come here under those circumstances.

Personally speaking..........just my preference here........I still prefer the Spurs model. Drafting the right players. Developing the right players. Developing them to superstar status. Mixing effective trades and efficient signings of role players along with positioning ourselves to acquire a secondary superstar. And keeping the roster mixed with good, hard-working, developing youngsters behind the franchise cornerstones with the younger developed guys replacing the older guys in status and role while the older guys fade into the background and become outstanding complimentary pieces to the team. Which helps the team to remain championship competitive for decades. I like how the Spurs do things. I really don't like so much all these superstars ganging up together. But this is the LeBron rules. He started it in Miami. This is how the NBA operates today to a large degree. And we obviously do not have the ability to develop our young talent the way the Spurs do. We don't make decisions on our youngsters as quickly as they do. And we don't develop their skill sets the way the Spurs do. The truth is the Spurs organization is simply unique on the NBA landscape.

The Warriors are unique as well. They have been fantastic in the draft. Perhaps the best in the draft over the last ten years. And they blended their stellar drafting with stellar cap management and produced the juggernaut they are.

Morey has been outstanding too considering the mitigating factors here, an owner that has meddled in player transactions and forced things such as the Jeremy Lin signing, the insistence on fighting for the last playoff spot in 2016 instead of letting us go to the lottery, and his insistence on always competing for a playoff birth even when we should have broken it down and rebuilt on the fly with a lottery pick, and meddling in coaching hirings and firings. No other GM in the league has had to work with those interferences and limitations. Morey deserves all his props. (I criticize him on our draft choices sometimes but that's about it.)

And this is probably the best we can do under all those circumstances. I'll take it. Get Melo and Lebron in here and let's watch some great basketball.

#143 basketballholic, Jul 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
  4. BobbySura69

BobbySura69 Member

5. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I wish Mannix hadn't put this article out there. It implies that LeBron would play here in 2018-19 for a token amount of money (compared to what he could earn elsewhere) in order to win another title. Fine, wonderful, we can dream (I won't hold my breath on this one); but we would have to get Carmelo first, which hasn't happened, obviously. Just another reason for other teams to put the squeeze on us in acquiring Melo, just to get a click bait article out there.

6. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

True. Many people forget the Lakers super team that added Payton and Malone that ultimately couldn't close seal the deal. Of course, they were much more advanced in age, but still good players.

7. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

DWade will most definitely not remain a Bull. He's saying all the right things. A player of his caliber/age isn't going to waste the last of his legs on a reboot in Chicago. This is known.

But he jumped back in to that 20+ milli, so now it's a bit more complicated. No worries.

8. papoose115

papoose115 Member

nba lost money this past playoffs because cavs and warriors cakewalked into finals and not that many playoff games were played. thats why the cap for this season is lower than what they predicted because of low quantity of playoffs games by warriors and cavs. not just against each other but in general both team combined only lost like 1 game to get to finals and the finals was decided in 5 games.

DonKnock likes this.
  9. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

I'm pretty sure he makes bank on investments and ad money - more than double his yrly salary.

He is worth 400-500 million

Pretty sure his legacy (# of titles/ opportunity to chase titles in ur twilight yrs) takes priority over owning a team, which would still be possible if he takes a pay cut. I hope his car is not repossessed- yikes.

10. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

thanks @Codman for saying all the right things. Not surprised Wade took the money, I think he was never the highest paid player on his team ever throughout his career which was a big thing for him when he was trying to re-sign with Miami and Riles said no.

Right now I feel that if Wade is bought out (IMO he should be) it would be closer to the deadline or into the season I think the Bulls will have him there at the start of the season to see how it works with LaVine and Dunn. The biggest question is how much will Wade 'mail it in' He generally has always been on a team that competed for playoffs or had direction (even that one horrid season in Miami was needed for the LBJ/Bosh signings) Right now the Bulls IMO will not contend for a playoff spot next year and certainly there is no direction right now for them. Or if the direction is to rebuild I dont believe Wade wants to be on a rebuilding team at this juncture of his career especially when his friends/peers are all competing for a title (assuming Melo comes to the Rockets)

With a Wade buyout though I dont know where he would fit in the Rockets rotation though - Backup PG? He can play PG but that would be the issue, of course with a guy with his skill and experience he will get enough minutes to where he can be useful and not harmful, but he would have to accept coming off the bench

11. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

There is also the chance that CP3, melo (if he comes), both leave to meet up with Lebron on some other team.

12. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Capela is NOT another Anderson. He is a tall, athletic big who plays above the rim and can run the floor. He WILL get paid at least $20 million. That's the going rate these days. Big men are always paid a premium.

As others and I have pointed out in Banana Boat threads, the Rockets DO NOT have any cap space in 2018 under any scenario.

Here's quick breakdown:

2018 Guaranteed Salary:
    Harden: $30,421,854
    Gordon: $13,500,375
    Tucker: $7,742,193
    Nene: $3,651,480
    Onuaku: $1,544,951
    Total Salary: $56,860,853

Cap Holds:
    Anthony: $39,365,640
    Paul: $39,133,697
    Ariza: $12,868,634
    Capela: $5,836,320
    Total Cap Holds: $97,204,291

Total Cap Figure: $154,065,144
    Projected Salary Cap: $103,000,000
    Cap Room: -$51,065,144

There is no way to get under the cap to make enough room to sign LeBron outright.

Even if Paul and Anthony were to agree to take a pay cut at steep discount rate of say 50% of most recent salary:

Anthony: $13,121,880
    Paul: $12,299,730
    +
    Harden: $30,421,854
    Gordon: $13,500,375
    Tucker: $7,742,193
    Nene: $3,651,480
    Onuaku: $1,544,951
    Total Salary: $82,282,463.

Then, you have the cap holds. Say Ariza agrees to a veteran discount of $8 million, which is the same as what he currently makes, then Capela still needs to get paid around $12 million at the lowest possible qualifying offer.

That would only put the Rockets right at the salary of cap of $103 million.

Again, as I have demonstrated, the Rockets DO NOT have cap space in 2018 under any scenario even with Paul and Carmelo taking huge pay cuts.

The only feasible way to add LeBron is how I described in my earlier post, via trade. Now, you can work out the particulars of that trade in different ways. Mine involves Gordon + Capela, but as you have correctly pointed the base year clause would be a factor, but I'm sure Morey could work out more salary fillers to make it match.

Hope this help clarify the cap situation for Banana Boat Party 2018.

#152 ghettocheeze, Jul 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
    FLASH21, No Chance and Kim like this.
  13. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

Golden State made everybody lose there f***ing mind and consider Durant was the only b**** piece, management must be pretty proud of themselves.

14. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

If we end up having a real chance of getting LBJ, we will definitely be dumping Ego and Ariza/Tucker. With LBJ joining, we can move Melo to the bench as the 6th man and taking Ego's role. LBJ's D will also make one of Ariza or Tucker completely redundant and at their caps, one of them will have to to go.

15. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Haha... Melo is not dying to join the Rockets just so he could be a bench player.

The starting lineup is still going to be like... Paul, Harden, LeBron, Melo, Nene.

Also, Ariza and Tucker are an absolute must have against the Warriors' small lineup.

Paul vs. Curry
    Harden vs. Thompson
    Ariza-Tucker vs. Iguodala
    Lebron vs. Durant
    Melo vs. Green

Now, you can switch on defense every time and not break a sweat.

JoeBarelyCares likes this.
  16. Scola Scoops

Scola Scoops Member

too old, doesn't fit in our offense, can't shoot 3s

17. Scola Scoops

Scola Scoops Member

why not bring back the whole crew?

Paul
    Harden
    Lebron
    Melo
    Bosh

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

lebron james doesn't fit an offense. wow

Y2JT, DonKnock and Pen15clubber like this.
  19. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Plus there's only one ball.

20. Caesar

Caesar Member

#6 is available right? I know #23 was Calvins and retired, but i think 6 is open. Funny thing is Calvin would probably tell them to unretire 23 and give it to Lebron.

Anyway, yeah. I'm convinced. It's happening. I don't see DWade coming to Houston if he is bought out this season though.

Cavs aren't winning it, so Bron has no reason to stay after delivering his promise to them. Were not winning it all this year so that won't stop Lebron either b/c he would be vilified for joining the champs.
    I don't think it matters even if we end up losing to SA or OKC before even getting to play GS. I think the point is that LeBron just wants to play with his 2 great friends and close out his career with them. Bron, CP3, Wade, Melo were the original "lets play together one day" dream. It'll happen. Something insanely unlucky has to happen for us to lose the chance to bring them all together here in Houston though.