1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CBS] Grade the Trade: Lakers reportedly deal Lou Williams to Rockets for Brewer, 1st-rounder

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Os Trigonum, Feb 21, 2017.

1. Quadrakill Amumu

vator, ilovehtownbb and DreamShook like this.
  2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

And who is to say the Melo trade won't be done.

Lou Williams was an asset that went into the CP trade. Would Corey Brewer without Kuzma have gotten it done?

In fact, would the Rockets have played as well the 2nd half with Brewer instead of Lou Wiliams? No they didn't win a title, but getting to where they did get to helped attract CP's attention.

3. RocketsTerps

RocketsTerps Member

If true I stand corrected. Thanks.

4. Gorilladunks

Gorilladunks Member

We had to match salaries. Jesus you people are dense

5. RocketsTerps

RocketsTerps Member

No kidding ass. What does that have to do with who received better assets?

6. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

How else do you balance the salaries necessary to acquire Paul in trade? Would you rather we send out Gordon instead? I mean, it's not like we were flush with options...

D-rock and ilovehtownbb like this.
  7. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Rockets fan self-loathing averted? probably not. another thread will be bumped.

ilovehtownbb likes this.
  8. RocketsTerps

RocketsTerps Member

That's not the point. No, I would not send out Gordon. I'm glad we made the deal for CP3. I understand we needed to essentially match salaries. What I said is we gave up much more to get an older player than OKC did to get a 26yr old Paul George. I'd personally rather have Paul George at 26-31yrs old than CP3 at 32-37yrs old at 30 million plus per year. Moreover, SF was a greater position of need than Point Guard.

9. threepointshot3

Chris Paul is a top 10 player and we got him for a bunch of bench players and one starter. Not sure why this is so hard to comprehend.We made out pretty good in this deal.

10. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Paul George is very likely a rental and CP3 isn't. That is why.

D-rock, rocketman84 and ilovehtownbb like this.
  11. RocketsTerps

RocketsTerps Member

Paul George is likely a rental for OKC. For us he would be in the club right now with Harden. Paul said if he wins big like making it to the WCF or greater he'd be crazy to leave. In Houston the WCF (minimum) is a given with Paul George.

12. RocketsTerps

RocketsTerps Member

Don't know why it's so hard for you to comprehend what I said repeatedly now. I'm happy we got CP3. Would make that trade a million times over. However, if possible, I'd take the 6 years younger Paul George whom commanded far less trade assets and filled a greater need.

13. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

PG has no certainty behind him at all. Even if he and Harden became buds, big if, it still wouldn't have much certainty he stays. Cp3 on the other hand had to opt back into his contract, take less money, reduce his trade kicker, all to come here. That sends a message to the league he wants to be here. Then James signs that massive extension? We look like a team with stability. The rockets made themselves enough of an attractive organization to woo Melo into wanting to come here. You're looking at the trade too one dimensionally and that's where it falls apart. What we built is a system, a super attractive one, that is one piece away. Without cp3, that doesn't happen.

14. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Paul George was leaving his team to go to LAL for anything short of a championship. A WCF appearance with him wouldn't have been enough to convince him to stay.

ilovehtownbb likes this.
  15. RocketsTerps

RocketsTerps Member

I agree with everything you said except the "big if" part about Harden and Paul - they're already "buds". Close in fact. The best argument for CP3 over PG13 is the banana boat friends possiblities.

#75 RocketsTerps, Jul 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  16. RocketsTerps

RocketsTerps Member

We can all speculate. That's what you say. What I mentioned was from Paul George's own mouth to Woj...

On being traded somewhere outside of Los Angeles:

“What I wanted out of this was to win. As I thought about it….the more and more I thought about it, it was ‘Hey I go to a team, we make the conference finals, we make the finals, we have a great coaching staff, a great team assembled, guys committed to winning… Why wouldn’t you want to stick around and be a part of that team or part of that organization?’ That was my take on it. Of course I wanted to come home, of course I wanted to play in LA and play for my hometown…but then a lot of me looked at the situation like, ‘If a team comes in and you absolutely love it, why walk away from it?'”

17. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I guess we'll get to find out the next year with the OKC experiment. They've got all the things he listed, haven't they? Talent, coaching, a great GM...let's see what he does.

18. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

This.

Chris Paul is the piece that makes the Rockets a contender both in terms of basketball and public perception. He commands respect from LeBron, Melo, Wade -- who all want to play with him.

Paul is the gateway to something greater, which Daryl Morey is trying to build -- a pound-for-pound true competitor to the Warriors.

ilovehtownbb likes this.
  19. RocketsTerps

RocketsTerps Member

No, OKC won't make the finals or even the WCF. If he came to Houston- We'd have fulfilled the WCF prerequisite minimally.

20. Play07

Play07 Member

You have to understand some people will always make excuses because morey can do no wrong in their eyes

Morey overpaid for a expiring contract CP3 based on the market for over expiring players this summer. Especially for a guy that wanted to come here.

Doc got a lot, morey probably just rushed to get it done

It's cool great pick up, but even if morey looked at it again he probably would've tried to do less

RocketsTerps likes this.