1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It's on - Official Tech vs. UT thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Drewdog, Nov 12, 2003.

1. tozai

tozai Member

If it wasn't for Vince, we wouldn't even be where we are. There shouldn't even be a question.

As I said before, it depended on our secondary which I said was overrated. As you saw, they do suck. Most probably due to scheme. They don't let them get physical at all. Getting pressure from the front was irrelevant, as I also said. Great win. Gave me a headache.

2. mrdave543

mrdave543 Contributing Member

wowwwww what a game!!

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

It has nothing to do with the secondary...it was a poor defensive game plan.

Buddy Ryan showed EXACTLY how to beat this offense, you hammer the QB into submission.

Blitz...blitz...blitz...from everywhere.

DD

4. tozai

tozai Member

Are you KIDDING me. We tried blitzing the whole damn game. It never worked. Reed Boyd is horrible. Our secondary blows. Scheme or skills, it doesn't matter. The Tech receivers had tons of space given to them. Griffin was beat constantly. We never figured out that one damn run play also. Blitzing won't work when Symons is 10 feet back and gets rid of the ball so quickly.

5. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Do you think we win with Vince in on the last drive?

6. tozai

tozai Member

Very good possibility. If the same play was called, I think Vince would have gotten the ball to Roy. I was happy for Chance, though. He's a good guy, and got a great chance to shine.

7. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

wow what a game few points

1. $@%@ you Keith TOOgood. Tech wins this game with a kicker. If you kick the ball at your lines butts you just suck

2. I will not under-estimate my boys again. THey will give OU everything they have. I will not be surprised if the next weeks game is similar to this one. OU will not walk over TTU. Not in Lubbock

3. Roy WIlliams and Rodrique Wright will both studs in the NFL

4. BJ symons played his best game of the sesaon. He was nearly flawless versus a heck of a team with a bum knee

4. Defense played great when they needed too except the last minute. But still props to the defense and my good friend VIncent Meeks with the big pick.

5. Vince Young is NOT Mike VIck not even close. The media and UT fans need to shut that bs up. But he's going to be a great college Qb but he cant compare to the legend that is Michael VIck

and my last point it will not be to long before Texas Tech takes over Texas. Just wait until Tech gets a defense (They are getting the recruits) . Mike Leech knows what hes doing. I love this guy.
    Gimmick offense or not it cannot be stopped. Give Tech 2-3 years and they're going to be scary

Congrats UT you should have your BCS bowl assuming they roll over aTm which is a given. I'm hoping for a UT michigan match-up that would be sweet.

8. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I think Texas fans will never underestimate Tech again. I don't even want to think about next year in Lubbock.

I am not sure Young would have made the same decisions. The offense had stalled with Young. Mack said he made the switch cause Mock had more experience with the 2 minute drill. IMO Mock has earned PT and I would start him against A&M and bring in Young on the 3rd series.

9. Major

Major Member

At best they will lose it 50-20 ish, but it ain't going to be within a TD or FG by the end of the game.

Dorothy ain't in Kansas anymore Drew.

You'd think one of these days, Texas fans would quit making these ridiculous predictions and realize that good teams are capable of playing Texas very well. This Texas team is good, but it has its flaws.

10. tozai

tozai Member

Wow. I guess we'll just have to disagree on that. I could understand saying that Mock should still get some PT, but the start and 2/3 of snaps...no comment...

I probably heard Vincent Meeks name 50 times in that game. Tech's D played better than I thought they would, and their offense was pretty much expected. I didn't know that Symons was going to be that good on a bum knee though. Vince may not be Vick, but this was not typical for him. One of the interceptions was his fault, the other was BJ's. I don't know what's up with his running. Tech was really loading up to stop him, but it seems like the coaches have told him to look to pass much more. That can be a good thing in time, but I don't know if that's the best thing this season.

Props to Tech. They're a fun team to watch unless you're playing against them. This was probably their best played game of the season other than the dumb penalties.

11. tozai

tozai Member

12. DanzelKun

DanzelKun Contributing Member

Mad Props to Tech... you guys ran ALL OVER US...

Best football game I've been too, incredibly enjoyable experience, especially with that ending... I feel so great for Mock, that man must feel like a freakin' badass right now...

So glad I was at the game, my throat is in shreds right now, but it was worth it, people jumping all over each other, so incredibly happy, what a great game!

13. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

No doubt...Vince. Asked after the game why he chose Mock for the last drive, Mack said it was because Mock was their drill QB. It had nothing to do with Vince's shaky couple of possessions.

Hell of a first half for Vince. Hell of a 1:15 for Mock.

Tech played one hell of a game. So many 3rd down conversions(Not that it matters...they would have gone for it on 4th anyway).

Mock came through tonight. He has been a standup guy the whole year, and I have always liked him, but I was really questioning Mack's decision to bring him in cold like that. He simply played as well as a guy who has taken 0 snaps all day can possibly play. My respect for him has shot through the roof.

On to A&M.

14. TeXaSalsa

TeXaSalsa Contributing Member

While I agree that Vince isn't quite Vick like at this stage in his career, one game does not make a legacy. Vince is going to be more then just a great college qb if he learns and a few things which i fully expect him to. If he realizes his potential I believe he could win a heisman and be a top 10 draft pick. However at this stage he is still getting by on raw talent and athleticism. I hope to see him become the qb i know he can be. he did look like a freshmen tonight. The guy has all the tools. lets see what he does with em..

15. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

good call Drew.

16. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

WOW! i can't believe we came back and won. i was actually praying we would let them score on the last drive (which pretty much just means letting reese call the D like normal) and luckily we let them in early enough to give us time. also, thank God we didn't hit roy in stride on that bomb (not that i think chance could've thrown it much farther than he did) otherwise we would've scored early and tech would've scored a td, not settled for a fg attempt.

i was stunned (and initially pissed) when mock came in at the end, and i think the other 83595 people there were stunned also. but after that bomb shut me up pretty quickly and mock was money the entire drive, even running for a first down. it's amazing mack has the balls to bench the guy most UT fans, myself included, consider the messiah in the last 2 minutes and yet we don't have the balls to throw down the field to our singler covered AA receivers. which brings me to that.

roy was single covered so much by tech tonight it was crazy. and it was very clear the tech secondary had no prayer versus roy. i wanted us to run it a lot on them, but it was clear they were stacking the box to stop us and it was clear they were gonna play soft as hell in the secondary. vince seemed to have no where to run all night (and he just seemed to be off, for once he was making the wrong cuts and not breaking tackles and ankles) and benson wasn't getting the consistent 7 and 8 he was getting the last 2 weeks, though his 139 was still nice. we could've passed more.

vince, he could've run on a few plays and decided to throw, don't get that. come on coaches, let him run wild if he wants.

anyways, thank you so much for that last drive Chance, it was priceless, but, he still shouldn't start the a&m game. vince has been clearly superior throughout the season and he was playing very well in the first half, just stalled. chance's drive saved our bcs chances, but overall, vince is still the man and starts no matter what. we can't change the starter every time someone leads a good drive. vince is better, vince starts. though it shouldn't matter when you're playing a&m this year.

roy was hobbling after his huge catch, did they say anything on tv about what he hurt? if he's hurt, he's got a month and a half to heal before our bowl game so that's good.

17. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

I was wrong on one thing: Symons can play, and he is a good college qb. Also, props to leach on such a creative offense. But the fact remains the better team won.

Major, the refs absolutely blowed tonight, and tech got an interception where there guy actually dragged BJ down by the jersey leading to a touchdown. Then the last tech score, the refs missed at least 2(one on crowder and another on wright) obvious holds and one block in the back on henderson's outside run, which eventually produced a touchdown.

Then on another tech drive, 4th and 1, their center moves early but texas was called for encroachment, giving tech first down instead of a more difficult fourth and 6.

Tech moved the ball, it didn't surprise me, but if the big 12 had even competent refs the game would have been 40 or 44-26 depending on how that vince interception turns out.

I swear tech's o-line looked like one of the best ever, even on draw plays and thats just not possible without the refs help.

The game was like I expected it to be, with tech moving the ball, and scoring some, but UT moving it at will on tech as well.

I just didn't expect the refs to even the playing field like they did.

And UT had a shot at the blowout with that missed 4th and inches with it 21-6. I still contend if the refs had made obvious penalty calls on that one pick and tech's last scoring drive, its what I expected it to be.

And carl reese is the reason UT can't stop tech: as long as he blitzes leach's offense with linebackers, corners and safeties, tech will torch UT.

He needs to jam the Wideouts, and let the front 4 get pressure and just play sound coverage. But like last year he didn't.

Tech is a solid team, but I did not underestimate them, I just can't believe how crappy big 12 officials are.

It was exactly like they were against Ok State last year, and what do you know, it was a nailbiter too.

I was impressed by tech's offense, but more appalled by Reese's insistence to blitz and the refs insistence to ignore obvious penalities on tech than anything else.

But Tech is a solid team and UT won and they should be BCS bowling for the 1st time under Mack, and that's all that matters.

18. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Oops.

19. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

I went to UT undergrad and Tech for grad school. I understand why folks hate UT so much. After Tech lost to UT in Austin one year, a bunch of drunk Longhorn fans were verbally assaulting the group from Lubbock that I was travelling with. When I went to the great K-State game earlier this year, we had just left the stadium when some more drunks started some sh*t with some K-State fans. I took that personally also. For years I watched UT games with my wife in LA sports bars, and the K-State fans were always there in large numbers and were some of the nicest, most polite folks I had ever seen. We practically felt adopted.

I'm sure that every school has their village idiots, but we have some really obnoxious ones.

And FWIW, received degrees from both, and degrading comments about Tech only show the speaker's 1) ignorance or 2) immaturity, but do nothing to change the fact that Tech is a quality school.

Hook'm and Go Tech.

20. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Damn I'm still a little shaken after last night's shootout.

rocketfan83: Enjoy your offensive success against us while you can. Word out of our Athletic Dept. is that the Defensive Coordinator, Carl "No D" Reese" is retiring at the end of the year. Meanwhile we're looking at bringing in a young, fiery DC in the mold of a Brent Venables.

Tech runs their offense to perfection, and BJ Symons played like a champ. He did everything to put his team in position to win. Unfortunately, his D is as bad as advertised. He almost beat the #5 BCS team in the nation on one good leg.

DVauthrin After watching the game tape last night, it appeared that a bad spot kept Ced from converting the 4th and 1 from inside the 10. If we had converted, the score's 28-6, and we don't look back. But, if anything, it was one of Tech's 3 defensive highlights of the day. We dropped 4 easy INTs. Geiggar had an easy 6 points bounce off his hands, and DJ missed a couple of easy ones as well.

I thought that the final drive was most disturbing. The Tech offense methodically moved down the like from their own 26 to the Texas 31 with only :38 left on the clock. I couldn't believe it.

Cohen Sure, Texas has bad fans as does every other school. But Tech is known for having some of the most obnoxious fans in the Big 12. Just ask aggy, or some of the Horn fans that went to Jones Stadium last year. Also, I hate to bring academic smack into this since it's weak, but Tech is in the elite company of The Third Tier.