1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It's on - Official Tech vs. UT thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Drewdog, Nov 12, 2003.

1. tozai

tozai Member

I agree with everything you say, but don't you think it'll come down to the secondary anyway. Getting pressure on Symons is important, but on those 3 step drops and quick releases, we need to be able to wrap up, knock down some balls, and be physical. If we're laying back in a zone, it could be ugly. The one thing that sounds very encouraging, is that Tech really isn't doing thing much differently than last year (maybe they are, but I haven't seen it), so our staff should know what NOT to do this year.

2. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

haha ya right. Tech probaly will get killed but they will put up points against anybody including UT this week and OU later on.

3. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Agreed. The best way to stop a finesse offense like Tech's is to hit them in the mouth. I'm not a big fan of the zone defense. Just put a nickel corner back there, line up in a 4-2-5, and go after BJ. Should be a fun game.

4. haven

haven Member

Bingo on tackling.

I don't think Tech can beat us deep, short of zone coverage. Symons is very accurate, but his arm isn't that strong. And our corners are faster. I pity the fool who throws deep against Vasher.

The key is to not let them get more than 5-7 yards on their dink routes. Keep them there, and sooner or later they'll have a couple of incompletions, throw an INT, or get penalties or sacks... and be forced to punt or kick a FG.

And seriously, with their D... all we need is for them to have to kick a few FG's ;)... unless, of course, Chance Mock plays too much, in which case, we'll have to stuff them a few more times!

5. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

The key is pressure, blitz if you have to, even better if the front 4 can do it alone. If a 3-4 WR type offense team can't run and can't protect versus the base DL, unless Dan Marino or Micheal Vick is at QB there is no hope. Witness what happened to Tech's "unstoppable" offense against OU last year or David Klinger Coogs visit to Austin in like 1990 or 1991. Klinger was damn impressive even, but his team got destroyed.

BTW I think UT secondary is damn good. The only really bad breakdown play I remember this year was the 3rd and 30 deep in Arkansas territory. Even great secondaries look bad if they have to cover all day long (e.g., versus OU).

6. haven

haven Member

Actually, bend-but-don't-break was the key against Tech 2 years ago. Worked perfectly to the tune of only allowing 1 TD.

I like pressure, too... but I don't like blitzing much to get it. Send the OLB's once in a while if you have to, but a good QB will adjust, especially in that offense. Just too many options.

Symons strength is his awareness and accuracy. His weakness is his lack of real arm strength. I think it's better to blitz QBs like Chris Simms, who can thread the needle with their strength, but aren't good at doing quick progressions or finding the outlet.

The key, of course, is making sure the front 4 get pressure. If UT can pressure Symons w/o having to blitz... the game will be over before it starts.

7. surrender

surrender Member

I'm strongly pulling for the Raiders, but I think UT wins in a shootout.

8. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

I beg to differ. Symons has twice the arm that Kingsbury had. Ok.... so thats not saying very much, but my point is the kid can throw the deep ball - ask anyone. The system isnt designed to beat you guys on 1 big deep passing play. Its designed to beat you on several short to medium plays and have our athletic receivers beat you with good hands and smarts.

Some things to look out for when Tech has the ball: Our guys have excellent hands. They rarely drop passes. Taurean Henderson is probably the best receiving RB in Big 12 - and can read the field well - very dangerous running a screen. When we get in the red zone, Leach is obsessed with throwing the fade rout to the corners of the end zone to Peters or Francis. On punt and kick returns, look out for Wes Welker to threaten to break one or score a TD. He's bound to break a few..... Oh and if its 4th down and 10 on the UT 35 yard line - expect Leach to go for it and convert 50% of the time (these types of calls drive me freaking crazy). Our place kicker sucks and will probably miss an extra point.

Cant say much about our defense other than the fact that we are young and we really really suck.

You guys are nuts if you think UT will win in a blowout.

9. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

No they're not nuts. Tech is not the same team away from Tortillaville, err Lubbock. Factor in they have a senior quarterback, but with freshman game experience(this is his first huge road start), good luck.

Also adding in the fact the Horns remember last year very well, and they played about as poorly defensively as you'll ever see, and this game is with 85,000 screaming fans in Austin, with a BCS bowl on the line, you can expect a top notch effort.

Tech will not keep this game close, and if they do props to Leach, but just remember two years ago:

45-7. And you won't be disappointed when the score is around there.

At best they will lose it 50-20 ish, but it ain't going to be within a TD or FG by the end of the game.

Dorothy ain't in Kansas anymore Drew.

And if you remind me how my prediction last year turned out, I will remind you how poorly Tech does in Austin, they don't have kingsbury anymore(symons is not as good), the UT defense is on fire and angry about last year, and there's no way Tech stops Vince Young, besides Benson and the WR's. Plus factor in we played a mini version of the quick slant offense in OU so Reese better know how to adjust by now and Tech is in major trouble.

Tech will lose and lose big. If they don't Mack Brown will be on the first bus or plane out of Austin after the game, because everything points UT's way this year.

Tech is a decent football team, nothing more nothing less, and they will stay that way as long as Leach refuses to get a good defense, or starts running the ball more to keep his mediocre at best one off the field more.

10. haven

haven Member

Agreed on all but Symon's arm strength. It's mediocre. Yes, he's stronger than Kingsbury. But if you're looking for weaknesses in Symons, I'd go with 1. lack of mobility, 2. lack of arm strength, and 3. gets rattled and sucks for long periods.

PS - you're recievers aren't that athletic, although they are quick and have good hands :).

[Oh and if its 4th down and 10 on the UT 35 yard line - expect Leach to go for it and convert 50% of the time (these types of calls drive me freaking crazy).[/quote]

Nobody can convert 4th and 10 50% of the time. If you could, you'd be the greatest team in the history of college football even with that abomination you call a defense.

You do realize we just blew out a team beat Tech, earlier this year?

Texas is perfectly capable of knocking the living **** out of Tech. You're ignoring the fact that our O is just about as productive as your O, but that are D is far better. How does that not add up to "potential blow out?" I don't think it will happen - but it's certainly not unreasonable to think it might.

11. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Actually, just heard Craig Way on 1300 say that Tech is 13/25 on 4th down conversions this season.

12. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I'm guessing not many of those were 4th and 10 though.

Craig Way is gross, btw.

13. haven

haven Member

But 4th and 10? Everyone should have a good 4th down ratio. I think most teams actually have better ratios than that, since it's usually only 4th and 1 or so. I've seen Mack go for it and not get it - but it doesn't happen often. Tech's ratio is probably worse because they go for it on 4th and longer.

Incidentally, if you're 50% on 4th and 10 (can't imagine anyone would be)... why the **** are you on 4th down in the first place ;)?

14. Fatty FatBastard

You heard it here first: Texas will either win in a blowout, or Texas Tech will win in a close game. The first half will tell the tale.

15. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Chance Mock :D

16. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Chance Mock is my hero.

Talk about clutch! UT's offense was sloppy in the second half, the defense was swiss cheese all game, but who cares? Gutty call by Mack Brown to switch QBs, and Chance made the Red Raiders pay with his typical mistake-free passing and some nifty running to set up first-and-goal and the 2 point conversion.

17. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

That game was Toogood.

18. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I wonder who Mack will start against A&M. Mock saved Mack's behind.

19. Fatty FatBastard

****!!!! UT sucks! Tech Should've killed 'em! Damn I 'm pissed.

I'm going to get drunk now!

20. TeXaSalsa

TeXaSalsa Contributing Member

I think im going to pass out from nervousness. what a game..

carl reese- please pick up your pink slip monday. piss poor D gameplan. holes all day long. what were you thinkgin?!??!

mack brown- go to church sunday..

greg davis- decent.. but did ya forget u had benson in the 2nd half?