1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who is/can be our 'Draymond'?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Firebomb525, Jul 9, 2017.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I don't know if there's an answer to Green anywhere in the NBA, to be honest. I actually think the Rockets last season could have competed with the star power of the Warriors if it had not been for Green. I think he is the most unique player in the NBA who allows for the Warriors to play a distinct style -- smallball without the defensive issues inside or on switches.

That's actually one of the reasons I wanted to see the Rockets draft Jordan Bell. Even though I have no idea what kind of player he will be in the league, I think he has the chance to be that type of player on the defensive side. That is really difficult to say, however.

I agree though with those that said that PJ Tucker will add some similar qualities to the Rockets. He could possibly play in some smallball lineups as a four... we shall see.

2. D-rock

D-rock Member

Nerlens Noel ... oh, oh ... I've said too much.

basketballholic likes this.
  3. Corpusfan

Corpusfan Member

Paul Milsap would have been our Draymond, and a much better addition than Melo. We need defense.

goldoil likes this.
  4. Exiled

Exiled Member

5. D-rock

D-rock Member

Has the ability to be like Draymond but lacks the pure a-hole qualities. Needs to work on that.

6. StrawberryJamm

They're right we'll see a Paul/Gordon/Harden/Ariza/Tucker lineup at some point, I hope it's against New Orleans, that'd be fun to watch.

7. goldoil

goldoil Member

It's not a horrible post because we still need a good defensive starting PF.

Is it certain that PJ Tucker will start at PF?

Or will he come from the bench?

I realize that Tucker can come from the bench and guard the opposing PF.

Who will be our starting PF?

That is where my confusion came from.

#47 goldoil, Jul 9, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
  8. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

I don't think they will bench Anderson / Melo for Tucker. Maybe some games to match up.

goldoil likes this.
  9. Nimo

Nimo Member

Kevin Love

10. goldoil

goldoil Member

Ok, I see now.

We still need a strong defensive starting PF at some point.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  11. Sidarma

Sidarma Member

Rondooooooooo to the rescue, if not mistaken morey was in luv with him

#51 Sidarma, Jul 9, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
  12. goldoil

goldoil Member

Do YOU watch basketball?

No one is doubting Tucker's defensive talent.

But we need a STARTING PF to guard big time opposing PFs.

I realize that Tucker will be effective from the bench but we still need a good defensive STARTING PF.

13. goldoil

goldoil Member

We still won't have the team to compete with the Spurs or Warriors until we strengthen the 4 and 5, no matter how much talent we have on the team.

I am not talking about players coming from the bench, I am talking about STARTING power forward and center.

I am for having CP3, Harden and Melo together but we still need to strengthen some of the other positions.

Tucker is definitely a step in the right direction but we still can improve the lineup even more.

D-rock likes this.
  14. Gorilladunks

Gorilladunks Member

The Wariors dont have a big time lane clogging PF!!!!!!!!!! They have Draymond. You have to guard draymond. He plays away from the basket on offense. You need a big wing defender. AKA TUCKER!!!!!!!

Will draymond be able to handle anthony on offense? um probably not. So advantage us on O them on D for starters. You make your roster and rotation in the playoffs based on your opponent. Free agency isnt over. We will be getting another center for sure unless they believe in onuaku. You dont need a basket clogger backup pf. You are asking for something that doesnt fit. You need wing defenders vs the warriors.

15. Gorilladunks

Gorilladunks Member

Do you not think he is going to try to improve the team to beat the warriors? he already started. You cant do everything at once. You ask the impossible. Your expectations are delusional

16. Gorilladunks

Gorilladunks Member

Just because you start the game with Anthony at PF doesnt mean he has to be in vs draymond the rest of the game. You design your rotations. SMH

17. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

This thread definitely needs more arguing about whether PJ Tucker can be our Draymond Green!! Because he's definitely comparable!!!

Oh... wait, nm. He's a pure wing who has the size to occasionally mix it up at PF and in any case whether wing or forward has never proven himself to be anything more than an average at best player. And he's 32.

D-rock and goldoil like this.
  18. goldoil

goldoil Member

Is it guaranteed that the Rockets will start Carmelo at PF?

I thought the Rockets were starting Anderson at PF?

I need certain information, not just what YOU think it should be.

No one has given a definitive starting lineup, including YOU.

So until YOU can guaranteed me that Melo will be startingat PF, then you can't really preach to anyone.

In a game against the Warriors, who will be our STARTING lineup???

Can you answer that simple question?

My understanding right now is that Anderson and Melo will start but that is just my guess at this point.

Prove to me 100% that will not be the case, if YOU can.

19. hongxingli

hongxingli Contributing Member

Great coach will create mismatch for other teams, not just to match them. Green is a great and unique player, but he is so low with those kicks and the way he defended them later, so no players can match that :D

20. Gorilladunks

Gorilladunks Member

Melo is coming. Itll get done. We arent beating the warriors with Anderson and adding a defensive FA PF so doesnt matter dude and no point in worrying about it and tying up more space. Im fine going into the season with Anderson at PF again. We will have a great team. But I wont be expecting a title yet. With Melo I feel we would have a shot.

justtxyank likes this.