1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Introduction of (to) Chris Paul

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Robert Kogut, Jul 1, 2017.

1. Juxtaposed Jolt

Chris Paul is trying to endear himself to CF.

Though I don't know why you would choose "Robert Kogut" as a screen name, Chris.

Remlap, Os Trigonum and daywalker02 like this.
  2. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

@Robert Kogut

Honestly, as soon as I looked at your profile, instant *rookie alert* sirens went off in my head.

Then, your introduction paragraph was poorly worded, which had me worried, "here we go again another rookie popping his cherry." To your credit though, you prefaced it with an apology for not being a native English speaker.

For a moment, I was furiously debating whether or not to take the dive into the wall of text you presented. For some reason, I did.

Lo and behold, after the first generic bulletin list summarizing Chris Paul's wikipedia page, you actually delivered an excellent analysis on Chris Paul complete with graphs and charts, which is far more than what most fans here will ever try. Kudos to you for making it happen!

3. MGC

MGC Member

This is a quality post. Good job.

4. felixng2012

felixng2012 Member

Wow very nice analysis could not have done better myself.

5. meggoleggo

meggoleggo Contributing Member

Whoa. I came out of hibernation for this; no ragrets.

Tfor3, Jayzers_100 and Caesar like this.
  6. Caesar

Caesar Member

I can't remember where or who, but i'm pretty sure it was Morey on a pod cast talking about how CP3 is probably the greatest point guard ever(this was years ago). I remember scoffing, but i looked up his advanced stats and all around play and i realized he was probably right and if he had the recognition (MVP) and team success, he'd probably be easily top 3. Unfortunately, media plays a big part in convincing us a players place in history based on marketability and team success(see Curry in 2015 being ranked top 20 of all time after his first amazing all time season while CP3 had steadily been doing all-time level of play for a decade). CP3 has had neither marketability nor team success. Even in LA, and with State Farm commercials, non NBA fans would probably not know his name but they would know who Steph Curry or Russell Westbrook are IMO.

We got ourselves a historic player. Let's hope he stays here and plays a long time and retires here and when people remember him, they will remember him as a Houston Rocket and a champion.

D-rock and Jayzers_100 like this.
  7. alethios

alethios Member

Chris Paul, is that you? Warmly welcome!

8. seeingredtx

seeingredtx Enlightened

I read every word...1% chance of that occurring. Well done.

macho GRANDE likes this.
  9. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

Nice job Kogut. I'm big on the stats and you brought them. Welcome to Clutchfans.

I referenced: basketball-reference.com & http://stats.nba.com/players/ball-handler/

From core rotations (2016/17)
    GSW Player..............Ast...................Ast%.................USG%.................
    Curry.........................6.6/gm.............31.2.....................30.1..................
    Durant.......................4.8...................23.1.....................27.8.................
    Draymond.................7.0...................27.6.....................16.2.................
    Iggy...........................3.4...................16.7.....................11.2.................
    Klay...........................2.1...................9.3.......................26.1.................

Add Livingston...........1.8...................13.5.....................13.0.................

Houston player...........Ast...................Ast%..................USG%.............
    Harden........................11.2..................50.7...................34.2.................
    Bev..............................4.2...................18.8...................14.1..................
    Gordon........................2.5...................12.3...................22.1..................
    Lou Williams................2.4...................14.3...................25.3..................
    Ariza............................2.2....................8.8.....................14.1.................

CP3 (2016/17).............9.2/gm...............46.8...................24.4..................

I'm a strong believer CP3 can replace much of the numbers provided by Bev/Lou Williams

Add Ryno(0.9 ast), Dekker(1.0), Capela(1.0), Harrell(1.1)......honorable mention x ast's

PnR (Ball Handler)....Freq.........ppp.............eFG%..............NBA percentile................
    Eric Gordon................18.7%.......0.90.............50.3..........................73.5.......................
    Harden.......................40.5%.......1.01..............51.3..........................92.7.....................
    Bev.............................26.9%.......0.80..............44.6..........................51.9......................
    CP3(w/Clippers).........44.7%.......0.96..............52.6..........................83.3......................

Warriors....Klay...........5.4%.........0.91..............55.6..........................74.9......................
    Durant........................12.6%.......0.97..............48.8...........................85.4......................
    Livingston...................13.0%.......0.98..............54.5...........................86.8.....................
    Iggy.....................................................................................................47.4.....................
    Draymond...........................................................................................16.4....................

PnR (Roll-Man) ...........Freq...........ppp..............eFG%..............NBA percentile...........
    Nene..............................31.7..........1.25...............65.2%.......................90.3.................
    Capela...........................28.0..........1.14...............60.1%........................72.9.................
    Ryno..............................17.7..........1.12...............57.8%........................68.8.................
    Ariza..............................1.6.............1.13..............58.3%........................70.8.................
    Chinanu (5/gm).............38.5...........1.20..............66.7%.......................------(no record).

Chinanu was probably during trash time....but Harden complimented Chinanu by saying he wanted
    Chinanu to definitely get some playoff minutes (prior to playoffs)."..........

Warriors of note..................................ppp..........................................NBA percentile.........
    Pachulia..............................................1.14.................................................72.0.................
    Durant.................................................1.06.................................................56.9.................
    Draymond............................................0.83................................................15.1.................

Note FA Dedmon.......26.7% (Freq).....1.15 (ppp).......62.9% (eFG%)........74.3 (percentile)

I'm of the belief that CP3 & Harden will play nice. With assists much depends on those around you converting.
    So I will wait until just before opening night to give my season prediction on pts/assists/USG% per game.

#29 Jatman20, Jul 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
    seeingredtx and HakeemOnlyFan like this.
  10. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Great post

11. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Might be the greatest post in CF history

Hakeemtheking and RyanB like this.
  12. HakeemOnlyFan

HakeemOnlyFan Member

Thank you so much for taking the time needed to write and construct this. I read every word. Well done.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  13. HakeemOnlyFan

HakeemOnlyFan Member

Appreciate the effort. Love the pnr breakdown info. Thanks.

Jatman20 likes this.
  14. Wylo

Wylo Member

I know I'll get a ton of heat for saying this, but even during last season when people were crowning Harden (or WB) as possibly the best PG in the league, I was very hesitant about that because I've seen what CP3 could do over the years, and I gotta say it's just on another level. Harden and WB's playmaking is very similar to LeBron's, whereas CP3 is more akin to Stockton or Nash. Before he went down due to injury, Paul pretty much led every advanced stats category in 16-17, and the Clippers were also red hot to start the season. I think he's still well in his prime, and is best PG in the league.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

16. RockWest

RockWest Contributing Member

I had no idea CP3 was this good in advanced metrics for so many seasons. Hats off to Chris I mean OP.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

18. bbjai

bbjai Member

my only issue with this whole post are the clutch stats. For a guy who is very clutch he has some massive brain farts as a PG. The Houston game is probably the biggest one

19. Robert Kogut

Robert Kogut Member

Thanks to all people for positive feedback despite my so many embarrassing grammatical errors

Additionally I should probably mention : Chris Paul improves his teammates so much. Check this out :

[​IMG]

#39 Robert Kogut, Jul 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
  20. Robert Kogut

Robert Kogut Member

That was on bench. Clippers had 20 points lead and bench players squandered it in 3-5 minutes, Chris and Blake were coming back totally exhausted.