1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Moreys Summer Goal? Bring CP3+Hayward

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Jun 16, 2017.

1. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Clippers contacted the Suns about moving DJ btw.

Subtle sign they anticipate their core not returning

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

No GorDAN Hayward? Which one of you is fake news? ;)

Chuck Nevitt and DonKnock like this.
  3. Joe Fan

Joe Fan Member

4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Very interesting.

BigMaloe likes this.
  5. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Ryno is as good as gone if CP3 wants to be here. We all know Morey has to create cap room in order to get Paul. You also need to entice Paul with complementary players rather than gutting the roster just to give him his money. Would rather see us trading away Bev, Ariza and Lou or can he cope without having Anderson? Even with Anderson gone, Paul still has shooters at almost every corner on the floor in Harden, Ariza, Gordon, and Lou.

At least shipping out Anderson means you have other chips in play in the event you can still get Paul George using expiring deals (Ariza, Lou) and/or valuable assets (Bev).

6. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I plan on pursuing Jennifer Lawrence, Maggie Q, Katy Perry, and Giada De Laurentiis. I have a hunch I will end up staying with my wife though...

brosef, Dacamel, slothy420 and 8 others like this.
  7. cheke64

cheke64 Member

What is your wife's trade value?

8. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

It varies depending if she is in my office or some other part of the house...

9. HTM

HTM Member

sucks brah

Thoughts and prayers for this homie.

10. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

[​IMG]

DonKnock and BigMaloe like this.
  11. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

If you think about it logically, it makes absolutely no sense.

CP3 was head of the player's union that fought for things like these super max contracts that he is eligible for.
    This will be his last "super" deal.
    In Houston for sure, or in San Antonio, he isn't a favorite to take down GSW. He'd still be a decent size underdog.
    He likes LAC.
    LAC just brought on Jerry West.
    He likes Doc.

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

ZL: Rockets? What are they up to? They only have $10M-$12M in cap room. They're chasing all these big names. I have no idea how they'll get max space.

BW: It's come out now but I do know Chris Paul is legitimately interested in playing there, which is strange. Doesn't seem like a good fit. I still think he stays in LA. It's too much money.

ZL: Too much money & 5th year is massively important.

BW: LeBron can afford to leave $30M on the table by walking away from the Cavs. LeBron has that luxury of having so much money. I don't know if Chris Paul is like that. I was talking to Paul Pierce about this yesterday & talking about Chris. He just said, "Yeah, I know he's frustrated but it's so much money & when you're in LA, it opens up so much things. Not just State Farm but also a whole bunch of thing around town that don't exist elsewhere. It's just too much money for Chris Paul. I feel like Chris will stay put. Going back to Houston, I think Patrick Beverley is a good player on a great contract. I love him as a player & his contract. Ryan Anderson is perfect for them. I understand they want to upgrade their roster but I don't know. Obviously if you know for sure you can get Paul George by trading Eric Gordon & Beverley, yes, of course you'd do that but I don't know how realistic that is.

ZL: You'd need to throw in at least two unprotected future firsts to even start a conversation with Indiana. Daryl has always said we'll work out the fit later. What's interesting in Paul is...he's a good enough shooter off the ball. That's a solvable problem. The thing interesting about Paul is, even Carmelo who has been rumored there as well if he can get out of Knicks land, is you'd be bringing in one of the greatest mid-range shooters in the history of the league to a team that literally refuses to take mid-range shots. You hear coaches and this is three years in a row Houston's offense has taken a dive in the playoffs. You hear coaches say they're not hard to defend. You can game plan for them because they won't take a mid-range shot. Stick Gasol at the rim & their offense...Thunder & Spurs chipped away at Houston's identity. It worked for the Spurs, a little for the Thunder. It'd be fascinating to see what shots Chris Paul would take in Houston. As prolific as they are, they need to be less predictable & more versatile to beat the very best teams in the league. As an experiment, it'd be fascinating to see.

BW: On 'Melo, the word is he's concerned about family. If he leaves NY, he doesn't want to be far away. The Western Conference is an encumbrance as it's far away from New York. ... BTW, Chris Paul is in position to get a no trade clause if he stays in LA.

13. Vivi

Vivi Member

I don't get why it's so hard to think that this is Paul last chance to try to win or at least to be relevant, i get that it's not going to be easy to win with San Antonio or Houston, but at least he would've some chances, some hope...the Clippers are dead. Yeah, he would get his big 5th year there, great, he would also retire as one of the biggest losers ever. I guess he's thinking about this sometimes.

#413 Vivi, Jun 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
    DonKnock, BigMaloe and The Cat like this.
  14. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

What's so great about a super max when you have to give up 13% in state income taxes? He wouldn't be a favorite to take down the GSW with the current clippers, so why would Houston be out of the picture? At least we made it to the second round.
    He can like management and the coach all day long, but he knows he has limited years left and can't stick around hoping they'll finally get it right. If I were him, I'd absolutely consider the Spurs, and perhaps even the Rockets -- but I think he should be concerned about the ability to mesh on court with Harden.

15. JayZ750

Lol at one of the biggest losers ever.
    He hasn't gotten past the 2nd round. We're not talking about Tracy McGrady here.
    It's so much money to leave on the table.
    You think the State Farm thing is just because he's Chris Paul?

Obviously you can be in Houston and still be in commercials... but it's no where close to the same level.

Plus they can remake that team potentially... and another 5 years there and he retires the Clippers best player in franchise history. No ring, but he stayed, kept them afloat, kept them in the playoffs regularly, etc.

16. JayZ750

All else being equal, he obviously stays with LAC.

If he thinks he has an equal chance of getting past the Warriors with the Clippers as with any other squad, then of course he statys in LA. Taxes, no taxes, whatever.

But even factoring in taxes, he makes more money... a LOT more guarnteed money, all things considered, staying in LA.

I'd definitely consider the Spurs... not the Rockets. The fit doesn't make sense and the Rockets typically flame out in the playoffs as much as he does. The only time they didn't was when the two teams were facing each other, lol.

But outside of going to the Cavs on a minimum deal, or to the Spurs and the Spur make other moves that make sense and work and with Pop and maybe an off year by GSW.... we all know it's unlikely he gets a ring in the next 3-4 years in any scenario... maybe as a vet ring chaser down the road.

So then the question is does making the 3rd round matter? Maybe... I guess... it's better than never making the 3rd round.

17. Vivi

Vivi Member

Well, you know that the "never got past the 2nd round" has been brought out A LOT over the last few years...this must mean something to him.

I get all the commercials thing etc, but in the end we shouldn't forget that he's a basketball player first, and so far he has not been able to live up to the expectations that everyone had about him, i have to think he would want to reach the best level he can at this point of his career.

The Clippers are done btw, they have no picks, no young players, no assets whatsoever...even if they get Melo, and sign Lebron next season after letting go DeAndre they won't be good enough.

#417 Vivi, Jun 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
  18. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I don't see why he would. That team has done nothing over the years and has been one disappointing season after the other. How much more is a super max deal than what a max contract Houston/SA could offer? Is it just another year or is it more money per year?

I agree that the Spurs are a better option for him, especially since TP looked done this year. But I disagree that the Rockets are on the same level as the Clippers. I think we have a much better franchise than the Clippers and better management. The Clippers are going to at least lose Griffin, he can't be foolish enough to return with just him and Jordan as the stars. If I were him, I'd seriously consider the Spurs, assuming they can keep Aldridge and sign him too. I might also consider some Eastern teams, besides the Cavs, especially since LeBron might be gone in a year or so. At least he would have a great chance of making it to the Finals.

Clips should try to sign and trade him to the Celtics and at least get Avery Bradley or someone. I really don't see him staying in LA unless he's just about the Cali life and not concerned with winning rings now.

19. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I mentioned elsewhere... but I dont understand what we're doing... I thought the whole point of DM was he's supposed to be some analytical genius that's supposed to find us undervalued diamonds in the rough.... yet every season here we are trying to pay full retail for overpaid established players...
    Let's be honest, if it's about wooing top names to town... is Morey your best pitch man? I mean he isn't exactly known as a 'players GM'... he's the eel... he's a guy who's supposed to find you great deals at cut rate prices... takes advantage of other GMs...

I realize that we're trying to operate within the 'Harden window'... but imo all the more reason to look at economy deals... the cap being what it is we might fit 1 more established name... but if we're actually gonna contend it's gonna be by gambling on some undervalued guys - and being right...

20. slothy420

slothy420 Paper Street Soap Co.

Translation: Chris Paul has legitimate interest in using Houston for leverage to get a better deal (like virtually every other big name free agent in the last 6 years)