1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yeah..., MJ watched his Team from the Bench

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Rockets Pride, Jun 1, 2017.

1. rockets13champs

I think league is more talented now than ever. I'm not saying past eras guys were wack. But this era we have much much better shooting talent. The reason for scoring stats being so high is because the 3 ball. Steph curry has single handedly changed the NBA. Guys scoring averages are up because of this if players didn't emphasize 3s harden would average about 24 instead of 29. 3s make the NBA a make or break league. If a team can shoot games can be entertaining and no lead is safe. The bad thing about it is most of the time 3 point shooting is a streaky way a team can play if one team is hot and the other is cold. It often ends games pretty quick. I'd like silver to allow more physical play at the 3 point line and less physicality in the paint. This allows teams with better ball movement to hit more open 3s. Yet allow post up centers to not become extinct.as guys can't kill big men down low as we used to see happen to Dwight couple years back.

hakeem94 and VBG like this.
  2. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

While I agree with some of your arguments. I believe that Lebron would not be worse in the old league. More physical games would actually help him. He is son strong he would thrive if he could use his strength even more. Like how I think shaq would be less efficiƫnt in todays nba.

3. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

This here is exactly why it is frustrating to listen to fans
    This is exactly why it baffles me why people are talking about trading Harden. He was a one man Superstar that took this team to the 3rd seed in the West. Guys like Kevin Love, Anthony Davis, Demarcus Cousins are super talented but have yet to do what Harden has done. Especially in the Western Conference. Heck Anthony davis is arguably one of the best players in the league right now and he had eric gordon and ryan Anderson in his team yet he still can't get past the first round or make the playoffs consistently. Les get Harden some stars! Stop being cheap!

Caesar likes this.
  4. hakeemthagreat

Lebron would definitely not suit well back then. Think about it. He's already "resting" in regular season games, and today's game isnt nearly as physical. 82 games of getting knocked on ur azz would take its toll. Those 8-10 fast break points he gets wouldnt exist because back then the game was primarily halfcourt. He would be forced to have a go-to move

5. Rockets Pride

Rockets Pride Member

6. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

So glad it's a seven game series. Over the top statements happening in both directions after 1 of a potential 7.

We know 14% of this series so we must know everything!

hakeem94 likes this.
  7. Bennie Anders

Bennie Anders Member

Dear God dickeater you are FOS.

8. dmoneybangbang

And like wise players in the 90s wouldn't be able to keep up with the pace of the game on both sides of the floor. However, you greatly under estimate how strong was and how he could just Barkley his way into the hoop.

He's already sitting out regular season games at age 32 because he's already in the top ten for most all time overall minutes played. The dude is an all time great player, just deal with it.

9. dmoneybangbang

LOL. What a stupid thing to say in a stupid thread. MJ never faced a team as good as this years Warriors.

10. split41

split41 Member

The league was way more watered down in the expansion era. The league now is more talented from 1-12 than it has every been, imo.

It's silly to compare eras. The truth is each generation will probably be better than the last (as long as the sport stays incredibly popular)

11. VBG

VBG Member

Agreed. Teams like the Jazz, Grizzlies and the Rockets would have been tough playoff outs in pretty much any era. I don't seem them being any worse than the Pacers team that pushed the Bulls. Yet, this year they're irrelevant because lol GS.

12. Houston22

Houston22 Member

The Warriors are already rolling and they haven't even deploy Zaza yet

13. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

You are overcomplicating it. If strength was more valuable back then, then Lebron being stronger than everyone else helps even more.

14. Rockets Pride

Rockets Pride Member

Bull ****. 90's basketball was better

15. Caesar

Caesar Member

I hear you, but that's the problem bro. Were the Timberwolves in this KG like situation and people don't want to see it. Pelicans went and got Cousins and the Pelicans still were pretty awful. They're going nowhere just like us no matter if were in the 2nd round and they have the 14 th pick every year. Same end result. Both franchises are headed toward losing their franchise players eventually with zero rings so they can team up with someone else and win.

Were the ones who trade Elvin Hayes for Jack Marin so he can play with another HOF caliber in Wes Unseld. Were the ones who lose Moses Malone after winning 2 MVP's so he can go win with another HOF talent in DR J. Without Hakeem, we would be one of the worst franchises in the NBA as far as history. That's why i said it takes once in a lifetime players to turn around a franchise...losing Moses Malone started that. If he stuck around, we would have no trophies and no shot at drafting Hakeem. Harden is a superstar yearly MVP candidate and it's looking extremely unlikely we can get him another HOF caliber teammate like some of the other greats got to have. It's looking extremely likely were just wasting his time and he's eventually going to demand a trade to one of the typical winning franchises everyone wants to play for.

We tend to have a slightly delusional fan base that thinks Houston is some great and attractive city and the Rockets are some storied franchise that everyone should want to play for. Truth is were not. Sure, were not the Timberwolves, but we've never won 60 games in our history and we've only been to 7 conference finals in 50 years despite having had HOF players each decade of our existence. That's tied with the garbage CAVS in 47 years who have had 5 in the lebron james era alone. LeBron is a once in a lifetime player that turned that franchise around. Harden isn't that. Hakeem was and we still had a hard enough time giving him good players till he was 32 years old.

Look what LeBron has done for that dump of a town called Cleveland. You really think Kevin Love would have agreed to be traded there if the Cavs had the same team except with Harden and Kyrie instead of LeBron? No way.

Can you realistically see any scenario where we pair Harden up with another future HOF caliber player or 2? We might get some low tier all star like Millsap, but that's not going to do anything unless you have 4 or 5 of those lower tier all-stars with Harden. There is no scenario out there where we come out as champs in the near future with all of GS being as young as they are and LeBron not slowing down. Hell, i can see LeBron ruthless af trying to chase rings and match GS and make Clevland trade Love AND Irving to get even better HOF level players in there with him and he probably has the pull and power to do it.

I guess most likely scenario is just ride this out and hope Harden down to just get paid big time over and over till he's 32+ and Anthony Davis wants to play with him here and someone else disgruntled also joins us.

16. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Ive called a sweep from the start. My name needs to be changed to LPHstradumas

hakeem94 likes this.
  17. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I remember back in the Heat days LeBron caught flack for hitting a game winning layup in the playoffs against the Pacers. Remember LeLayup?

That about sums it up in regards to how irrational LeBron haters are.

VBG likes this.
  18. hakeemthagreat

Youre under complicating things. Being strong doesnt mean anything if you have more physical guys guarding you (ex Charles Oakley). That combined w/ rules allowing the defender more leeway. Lebron over powering guys simply would not happen. Jordan was great because he had a variety of unstoppable moves & incredible footwork. Same with Dream. Lebron couldnt get by off being strong back then

19. hakeemthagreat

Lebron is not going to dominate simply backing his way to the hoop, especially with the rules allowing more contact back then. Pace? Lol. I truly hope you watch old videos of the Showtime Lakers, or Doug Mo Denver teams. They played at a crazy pace & still were physical. Youre argumenting me from lack of any knowledge. Just stop. Todays game is watered down period

Hes a all time great i agree. But dont compare him to MJ, Kobe, Dream, Magic etc..

20. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member