1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

In your profession, what problems or frustrations do you experience most

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Swag, May 26, 2017.

1. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

I've worked in Video Production / TV Broadcasting for almost 25 years, across 3 different companies. Each time, the owner brought his (fresh out of college) daughter into the company.

The first time it was actually a good thing because she was a good buffer between us and her whack-job dad. (company of about 30-50) She was put in a position of authority over production, but she was very smart and reasonable and reigned in her dad. She made it a better place to work.

After working at the Second company for about 5 years, the daughter was brought in as an equal, but she treated everyone as if she had authority. She made work miserable for the employees - it was a very small company of about 12 people when she was hired and ended with just 4 of us. Several people left because they couldn't get along with her. It got so bad that me and the other coworker (her own cousin) just decided not to speak to her unless we had too. It was a terrible work environment until I left for my current job.

At my current company (about 300 people), the morale was really great for the first 6 years or so..but in the last 2 years the owners daughter was never really hired, she just sort of weasled her way into being head of marketing. She always had the leeway to make decisions and insist on getting her way, so after she ran off 2 heads of marketing, they just never hired anyone and by default there she was. in the last year, she's ran off about 12 great employees and morale is the worst I've ever seen. The problem is that if you butt heads with her, you'll pretty much be fired because she is daddy's princess. She constantly tells people they're terrible at their jobs, she will text you at 2am about work and expect a response, and if you are working on a project with her..it is a nightmare. If you have a project completed on a Tuesday, she will wait until 4:30pm on a Friday to watch it, then proceed to tell you how awful it is, and demand that you work all weekend to fix it..because it airs on Monday morning (this happens ALL the time). She actually told an editor that she felt sorry for him because she could make some trades and make his salary in one day if she wanted. One day (of out nowhere) she told me.."do you know how much money I have in my retirement? I have so much money its ridiculous". She actually believes that everyone in the company loves her and wants to be her friend, but she treats everyone like trash. The sad thing is that no one will tell her parents what a terrible person she is..because if you do, you're pretty much sticking one foot out the door.

2. SuraGotMadHops

Old dogs refusing to learn new tricks. The management I deal with where I work is extremely stubborn and dismissive of new ideas simply on the basis that they refuse to change anything about the way they did business back in the day. Adapt or die.

Swag likes this.
  3. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

I'm constantly conflicted between what is sexual harassment and what is wrong

Swag likes this.
  4. Swag

Swag Member

explain haha

5. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Like if I see something and I want to touch it is that just sexual harassment or is it wrong

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#66 daywalker02, Jun 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
    Pen15clubber likes this.
  7. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

I have idiot clients that confess their criminal activity to the police.