1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rumor CP3 may choose Spurs

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ballplayer, May 23, 2017.

1. gambingo

gambingo Member

His window of opportunity is closing fast, so if he really wants a ring, he better get on the Warriors/Cavs train.

2. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

CP3 negotiated this new CBA on behalf of the players. Now, when it's his turn to cash in off his work, he's going to walk away from it?? Highly, highly doubtful. Griffin is far more likely to leave than Chris Paul, IMO.

Also, on a side note, if Paul hypothetically does choose the Spurs, they still wouldn't be near good enough to beat the Warriors. Just saying.....

3. Postpremium

Postpremium Member

Once the Sate of California takes their pound of flesh from his contract, I wonder how much closer his income would be to what he could make in Texas.

basketballholic likes this.
  4. Vivi

Vivi Member

Well, they were up 23 without Parker but with Kawhi on the court in game 1, let them win game 1 and i'm not sure the series is 100% going to Golden State...now, add Paul to the hole they had in Parker spot and eh...the Warriors are great, but if there's a team in the West good and smart enough to compete with them, that's San Antonio. Hell, there were some guys saying adding Lou Williams was making us a contender...now add Chris Paul to the Spurs and yeah, that would be a true contender if you ask me.

basketballholic likes this.
  5. Juxtaposed Jolt

CP3 is already one of the highest paid athletes in the world, so money really isn't an issue. And he's an older dude with a family - the LA scene tends to attract younger, single dudes, so I don't think Paul would really place location head-and-shoulders above the chance to win a title.

There's no reason to stay in Clipperland. If they trot out the same (or close to the same) starting 5, they're just going to lose to the Warriors again. If they make moves and change the roster, CP3 has to spend at least a season trying to get everyone on the same page. By the time chemistry is established, Paul might be 34-35+.

Of course, most likely none of us in this thread know what it's like to have millions upon millions in the bank, so it's hard to argue both for and against a LA-to-SA situation, but an NBA player who's earned as much as CP3 has in his career, is set for life - the only thing missing is bling.

Richie_Rich likes this.
  6. Juxtaposed Jolt

Is it really a "pay cut" if he's going to another team, entirely? It's one thing to take a pay cut to lure superstars to your team; to me, it's another thing entirely to take a pay cut to go to another situation.

7. YOLO

YOLO Member

yeah its interesting how you have numerous people here trying to say so easily, the spurs with cp3 are not nearly good enough to beat GS. that same team was getting destroyed without him with Kawhi. Now we don't know what would of have happened in a series but it clearly shows the Spurs are fully capable of being a problem. The Spurs with Kawhi are proven to be a great team. If there was any other team in the league besides Cleveland that can clearly hang with GS, that team is the Spurs. And an addition of cp3, they are a legit threat.

Richie_Rich and Vivi like this.
  8. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

CP3 is smart enough not to pull a Carmelo and go for the money and not go for a ring.

9. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yeah, i mean, Leonard, Paul, LMA, Gasol, Green in the Spurs enviroment coached by Pop, that's a contending team regardless of other rosters.

10. Ming The King

Ming The King Member

If Pau opts in(very likely), it will be very hard for the Spurs to create cap space to sign CP3.
    They have to move LMA for no salary in return.

11. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

I'm not talking about just forgoing the "super max". If he were to play for the Spurs, he would almost certainly have to take a paycut from the max given their cap situation unless they somehow find takers for the corpse of Lamarcus Aldridge.

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

yup the spurs lost by far their best player. You're not getting by with your best scorer/defender and mismatch option sitting on the bench. People can say what they want about LMA, but without any legit perimeter play or threat they had no chance to begin with. Though they still competed, as part of a Pop developed culture they were just simply outmatched by GS at the end of the day.

Vivi likes this.
  13. Caesar

Caesar Member

True. He can demand a trade and ring chase after he signs the 5 year 200 mil contract and he's 34-35 years old.

14. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Me and @VonRafer called this in 2015.

15. Vivi

Vivi Member

They have to move Parker and some scrubs from the bench i think, they should also be able to make Pau opt out and sign a new deal, lower but longer, not saying that's gonna be easy, but far from impossible...and if Pau is not willing to do it you can still trade him, signing Paul and losing Gasol would still be a major upgrade.

16. Ming The King

Ming The King Member

i dont see Spurs moving Parker (is a legend there)
    maybe Ginobilli plays another year.
    Maybe they can move Danny Green and Patty Mills.
    but it doesnt sound easy

17. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Sure, but one game does not make a series, and remember.....Golden State was coming off a long hiatus whereas the Spurs had just gotten done beating us. It takes a little while to ramp up the pace, and I think part of Golden State's lackluster start to the series was because of that. I just don't think Chris Paul gives the Spurs enough firepower to compete against the Warriors for a 7 game series. Does it make them better? Of course. Does it make them "Beat Golden State 4 more times in the playoffs better"?? Probably not. But, until it happens, this is all just conjecture so....meh.

18. Vivi

Vivi Member

If they want to go after any player this summer Mills is definitely gone, but Murray is looking good so i guess that's fine with them, about Parker not sure what to think, yes, he's a legend there but i mean, we traded Hakeem, Boston traded Pierce etc...i wouldn't be shocked if they trade Parker...unless they trade Pau and keep Parker, but that wouldn't make much sense if they plan to sign Paul. Green should stay i guess...unless they're ok with Simmons playing as a starter...not sure about that personally.

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

don't think "long hiatus" is much of a real excuse. They were just plain getting beat by the Spurs playing great basketball, especially Kawhi. That has nothing to do with GS's break.

20. Vivi

Vivi Member

Fair enough, but still...up 1-0 in GS would've been big, and that could've had also an impact on the Warriors going forward...yeah, like you said, we'll never know, but you have to think that if you add Chris Paul in that enviroment eh, that would be a pretty scary team. I agree that on paper the Warriors would still be ahead in terms of talent, but not by much, no other team in the league would be as close as the Spurs in that scenario...and Spurs enviroment might still be the best in the league imo, which is always a plus.

#60 Vivi, May 24, 2017
    Last edited: May 24, 2017