1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Defense Wins Championships - Fire D'Antoni

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rcketsfan1, May 22, 2017.

1. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Defense wins championships? How is this D'Antonis fault when he's given Ryan Anderson, James Harden, Lou Williams, and Eric Gordon all of which are notorious for horrible defense. If you're going to complain and scream for someones head, scream for Morey's.

UPGRADE THE PERSONNEL

2. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

If you morons think hiring a good defensive coach will make Ryno a rim protector and turn Capela into Shaq you're dead wrong.

saleem likes this.
  3. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

No, all players were not good for the JVG system, the team would have a bad record for sure. What was why Les refused to interview JVG.

4. Mr. Space City

does d'antoni even want defensive personel?

and if he got it, would he even be able to coach it?

[​IMG]

5. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i wouldn't say gordon's D is horrible. maybe average overall. lou williams on the other hand, is one of the worst perimeter defenders i've seen in this league in quite a while.

BigggReddd likes this.
  6. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I don't believe the mantra that defense wins championships holds true anymore. Critical stops at key possessions wins championships, sure, but defense does not. The way the league is reffing the game too is a pendulum swing toward offense. Protecting the shooter on landing, flagrant flagrant fouls being called, and the overall desire by Silver and the NBA to make the game move faster and smoother pushes us toward an offense based era. LeBron's block on Curry was amazing, but to be honest that game was at a high scoring pace before it, and that's precisely what the NBA wants.

What irks me is that anyone on these forums is not continually trolling the OP here. COY, MVP, and 6th man candidates on this team, a team to struggle beating the likes of Portland in this NBA? That doesn't strike me as a system that's failing. But as stated before, clutchfans gonna clutchfan I guess.

7. rcketsfan1

rcketsfan1 Member

Troll me please :)

Personally, I don't give a **** about COY, MVP, 6th man. I want to win playoff series and eventually a championship. I have been watching the Rockets and NBA religiously for almost 30 years and I know one thing: if we can't play elite defense in at least critical spots we might as well not even watch. Spurs play defense. Warriors play defense even if they are a great offensive team as well. Cavs play defense (do you remember LBJ run down block to save the game?).

Mike DAntoni is a laughing stock in my opinion. I laughed at the way he ran the Spurs and I laughed when the Knicks signed him. I laughed when the Knicks fires him with an 'I told you so' cackle. Unfortunately, I mourned when the Rockets signed him. Now, I am trying to understand how we move forward with his garbage game plan and lack of strategy.

It was pretty obvious that Popovich embarrassed DAntoni this year. What's going to change? Are we just going to get so much talent that we can out skill the Spurs and other teams? Doubtful.

Let's get real here guys. Mike DAntoni is a proven loser. Let's move on and get a better mix. Defense wins championships but I do also agree that offense wins regular season games. Let's get someone in here that can handle that scenario and strategize for it.

- rcketsfan1

8. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

Big Ben was the only All star in the year they won.

daywalker02 likes this.
  9. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Good to see you man, don't know how I missed this post!

So you are correct that it's happened a few times, but this depends on what we call talent right?

The first 2 of those Detroit championships featured 2 All-NBA first team defender - Dumars and Rodman - and they weren't the only great defenders. Not to mention both those teams were top 10 offensive teams.

The next Detroit championship featured 1 All-NBA defender and it can be argued 3-4 more elite defensive players. Still a historic feat for that team, but this is an exception by any definition.

So when we're talking about All Stars or All-NBA, yes, offense is more heavily accounted for. But defensive talent is talent. If you have 2 all world scorers or you have 2 all world defenders, you're going to win to be elite given the right system/coaching.

That doesn't necessarily mean defense wins championships. There are just as many teams who have won it all with average defense and elite offense. Heck the Cavs might do it this year. The Lakers have done it. Maybe it's a question of perception. To me, Ben Wallace is as good a defender as James Harden is a scorer. Which leads me to believe, you can win a ring hanging your hat on defense, but I can't see how defensive excellence has won more titles.

Pizza_Da_Hut likes this.
  10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Fair argument, except I'm not sure where you're getting that the Pistons of that era was a top ten offensive team. Even with the newer metrics, they were average at best. 16th in the league in points per possession in 1989. http://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_1989.html and 19th in the league in points per possession in 1990. http://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_1990.html THEY WERE 24TH IN THE LEAGUE IN POINTS PER POSSESSION IN 2004! http://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2003.html

I've seen teams that are average to poor on offense win titles....I don't recall ever seeing an NBA team win a championship by being average or poor on defense, except in the eras where there were no strong defensive teams. The Pistons of the late 80's and early 90's changed the game in many respects. Since that time, what team would you suggest has won a title without being a good defensive team?

I'm not suggesting the Rockets should abandon their style of offense. I am suggesting that you have to play far better defense to win a title than the Rockets are currently playing.

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It just seems average Defense to you all because they do not crank it up every game but once in the 4th those teams play some lock down D or they have players that get stops to win games.

The Rockets are far away from that, hell, they cannot even play good Offense when they feel the heat and pressure in the most critical knockout games.

12. ThaShark316_28

Rockets are average on defense or slightly below it.

Not great, but okay. They have a defense that is similar to a team (to use NFL analogies) like the 99 Rams or more recently, the 2009 Saints.

Solid at forcing a turnover or two, but a bit on the side of average (or below it) at actually stopping people. And it's not for a lack of effort with these guys. They could get stops, but sometimes, simply not being good on ball hurt. Lots of good to great help defenders here. Good at double teams and trapping, but a few of the perimeter guys can't defend too well laterally. I'd see Lou, Eric, and yes, even James get in a offensive player's kitchen and guard the **** out of him. Still can't stop him.

Open your eyes, people. Defensive rebounding and PIP prevention is your issue. If Capela can keep up his steady improvement, and they find another big that can shoot and grab boards, look out.

As for firing MDA? Delete your account.

13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Rockets were the surprise 3rd best team in the WC heading into the post season when we had been pegged as a possible lotto-back-half playoff team at best.

They lost to the 2nd best team. Obviously, they and the rest of the league are *substantially* behind the obvoius best team in the L, the dynastic Warriors who are going to probably rack up the most dominant 3-year stretch since the late 90's bulls - with the second-greatest single season offensive attack ever this year (trailing only the 86-87 Lakers in offensive efficiency).

Not sure what about this trajectory screams "UH OH MASSIVE COURSE CORRECTION NEEDED, DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS".

Get multiple prime HOF players and most systems look ****ing amazing.

Right now we have 1 and other teams have > 1.

#53 SamFisher, May 24, 2017
    Last edited: May 24, 2017
    shadowsb23 and MadMax like this.
  14. goldoil

goldoil Member

I would keep D'Antoni and try to pick up some a good defense PF and C.

15. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

Screw it. This team is like that smoking hot girl that will give you a rager only to leave you hanging. They are going to tease us with some good if not magical regular seasons and then come playoff time we are going to get let down. I hope I am proven wrong.

16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Well, the Spurs great defense doesn't win them championship this year.

"Defense wins championships" is just too simplistic. JVG would have won a few championships if that was true. You need more than good defense to win.

If you want a simple statement, how about this: "Great and healthy team wins championship." And this year's Rockets team is far from being a great team.

17. Pizza_Da_Hut

Hell, look at the Rocket's defense early on this season. When they had a legitimate number 2 in Gordon they had a great defense but an even better offense. Realistically, in the modern NBA, Superstars win Championships should be the mantra. Get Harden a legit number 2 who buys into the Rocket's game plan, and then watch the magic.

18. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

do you ever wonder what moreyball would look like with actual talent like what if he was GM of the Cavs… Wait a second if you think about it moreyball is going to win a championship again if the warriors win it

19. Pizza_Da_Hut

#Truth

Look, in today's NBA superstars are the currency of the rich. Draft picks are vouchers that might net you a superstar one day, but truth be told if you don't have at least a couple you won't win. The rockets have been great to get as much as they have from role players, but that's not going to cut it. We need another star soon. Otherwise, we are just squandering Harden's greatness.

jordnnnn likes this.
  20. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

JVG can save us!!!!!!!!! This would be a good team for him.