1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

MVP is a regular season award, but ...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by durvasa, May 12, 2017.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

How does the Rocket's performance in the playoffs affect your opinion on who deserves the MVP and how important such an award is?

2. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Objectively, none.

Perceptively, maybe a little? but not much.

Last night was an embarrassing moment for anybody who supported/voted for Harden, no doubt about it, but it doesn't change what happened since October. I imagine there will be many who say last night invalidates Harden's season altogether, which will be silly, but that will certainly be the case knowing this website.

#2 J Sizzle, May 12, 2017
    Last edited: May 12, 2017
  3. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

Zero. It's a regular season award. If we're going by playoffs then the top 3 MVPs are probably Lebron, Draymond, and Kawhi in some order.

I hope us as Rockets fans grow away from wanting Harden or anyone on the Rockets getting that MVP award if it's not clear cut. I'm tired of the MVP talk.

4. joomba

joomba Member

The fact is Harden didn't play like a true MVP from the mid-point of the season. He had a great start, but gradually fizzled out towards the end. Anybody with an ounce of objectivity could have seen this when Harden regularly, and I mean like one out of every three games, would have 3/15 shooting games with 9 turnovers during the regular season.

#4 joomba, May 12, 2017
    ISOBall likes this.
  5. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Kawhi???

His team just won twice without him

6. gumbleton3

gumbleton3 Member

Harden is a regular season superstar. No doubt about it......unfortunately he seemingly loses all ability come playoffs.

7. Zergling

Zergling Member

It's a regular season award so what happens in the postseason is irrelevant. If we do include the playoffs, give it to LeBron every year.

malakas likes this.
  8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

If you're talking about his two main competitors....

One guy Westbrook certainly wasn't winning games against Harden, shot his team out of 3 games.

Kawhi's team just wiped the floor with Harden's...without Kawhi...

I'm not sure this game changed anyone's opinion on the regular season MVP award.

Patience and tmactoyao like this.
  9. ReliantTexan

ReliantTexan Member

They won once without him, in a game where The Rockets and Harden had the worst playoff performance in recent memory by any team/superstar. Kawhi has put up 28, 8, and 5 on incredible efficiency in the Playoffs, only LeBron has out done him imo.

#9 ReliantTexan, May 12, 2017
  10. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

harden
    westbrook
    lebron
    kawhi
    durant

11. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Except for Clutchfans, who now want Harden thrown to the sharks.

12. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I hope this does make Harden see how worthless the award really is because at the end of the year we will all be praising Curry/Durant or Lebron. Whoever wins that MVP award (Westbrook) it should feel hollow and empty at that point after another more important MVP award is given out AND a championship trophy.

13. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I don't think it's worthless. It means something in terms of guy's legacy. I don't think striving to be the MVP of the league is a bad thing. There was no chance at a championship trophy this season, which obviously is infinitely more important. But having the MVP? Would have been cool. In the end, not THE goal, but a worthwhile goal to have for Harden individually.

Now with that being said...I hope he and the team are smarter about his rest schedule. Maybe take a couple nights off. Maybe play fewer minutes if necessary. I want him managed smarter next season, and from what we've heard in these exit interviews, looks like that might be the case.

14. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Hakeem heightened his legacy by crushing an MVP award winner face to face in playoffs. That means 2 things:

- The MVP is largely a regular season award. Its considered a nice reward for an individual good year

- People consider PLAYOFF performance 75% a player's legitimacy ANYWAY, which is tied into team advancement and rings. Its like a whole other season because fans already know postseason play doesnt factor into the voting. In the NBA, a 3-time MVP winner with no rings might have less respect than a regular All-Star with 1 ring, because thats being an "actual" MVP.

MVP isnt worthless. It is a nice honor for players and their teammates hard work. But its not THE determining factor of greatness either

15. rocketman12

rocketman12 Member

None. MVP is for games 1-82. Whatever happens in the postseason doesn't change what happens in games 1-82.

If they want to change it so it includes the regular season plus postseason then so be it. But as of right now, it's only for the regular season and no matter what happens after doesn't affect how I think of who won it.

16. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

They won game 5 also, he sat the last 10 minutes or whatever. Also, don't forget his ass got benched in game 4 cause he was so shitty and was absolutely awful in game 1.