1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA league office has had "keep it close" officiating edict on this series

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, May 11, 2017.

1. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

First off, I'm used to the refs stopping runs here and there....controlling games in their own not so subtle way...I'm not one to b**** too much about that. It is what it is.

That said, I'm sure it's obvious to all by now that the NBA League office has had a "keep it close" edict in place for this WHOLE series.

Folks can talk about 7 man rotations, James "choking", etc. etc....

But, the bottom line is..if this series had been officiated correctly, we likely would have already won it.

Yes, James has had the injury, but held up better last game..

Now some might say..."But, look what happened at the end"...."he can't close it out"...what's wrong with him"

OT wouldn't have even been within shouting distance if these arms of the League office weren't manipulating things.

For those that can't seem to get it.....If the ZEBRAS keep SA in the game long enough, eventually they're going to pull it out.

We might have issues, but most of them wouldn't have come into play without the manipulation/extension. (odds and team exhaustion comes into play)

This series is as bad as I've ever seen it over an extended time..with a clear agenda.

#1 Plowman, May 11, 2017
    Last edited: May 11, 2017
  2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

3. MacLovin

MacLovin Member

The officials were bad but they also handed us 5 points during the 4th quarter and OT. They called a ball out on SA that was clearly out on Harden. We got possession and hit a 3. Then they called offensive basket interference (I forget the name of the actual call) on LA when the ball was definitely coming out and off of the rim.

I've never seen a site talk about refs as much as CF.

Reeko, Moleb, mike2k132 and 1 other person like this.
  4. Plowman

Supporting Member

The worst is what happens early on...keeping it close (first half)....and then it gets swept under the rug.....Your post is an example of what I'm talking about. No offense, but folks are actually swallowing the whole game....trying to make sense of things out there...using basketball logic.......This is the dark side of pro sports at it's worst.

Caesar likes this.
  5. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Deckard likes this.
  6. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

The first call on the Harden play was right, but the second was offensive basket interference (that's the correct name for it) this isn't FIBA and just because it's coming out it doesn't mean it can be touched while a portion of the ball is still on the rim.

CF always has these outbursts of threads when we lose important games. But when we win, everyone is high as a kite for our entire squad. Get used to it.

Rocket River likes this.
  7. Plowman

Supporting Member

No, this isn't a kneejerk thread. It's been going on, and has been discussed all series.

Spacemoth likes this.
  8. hashmander

hashmander Contributing Member

they've been doing a bad job of keeping it close then.

kjayp likes this.
  9. slothy420

slothy420 Paper Street Soap Co.

I think most of us just want them to call a fair game, win or lose.

kjayp and Plowman like this.
  10. RocketsMAN!

RocketsMAN! Member

Has there ever been a "Perfect Game" for NBA refs?

What ref seriously can make all 100% accurate calls?

They would only be able to make a few calls a game to be high accuracy.

11. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

'zactly . . . maybe the refs just choke. you know, like the Rockets in OT :cool:

12. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Do you think that's officiating or a much better defensive team that sticks to their plan?

The reason we didn't pull away in the end of the game wasn't because the refs...it was because the ball stopped going in the net.

13. bballjunkie

bballjunkie Member

I'd like to see the NBA come up with challenges like football and even tennis have for incorrect calls. Each team could get 3 challenges a game or something where calls are reviewed. It would only take 30 seconds to review some of these blatantly bad calls.

BamBam and kjayp like this.
  14. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

and started flying into the hands of opposing players

15. YallMean

YallMean Member

It has been a close series. I hope we will win in the end, but they are a veteran team. Refs are going to miss calls. I don't think that is the only reason we are down by 2-3. The spurs down the stretch just executed a little better than us. Hopefully, they will beat them out in the remaining games because of their age. Let's go!

16. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I would go back and create an estimate of points generated for both teams off of blatantly ignored calls.... but I'm pretty sure watching those calls again would cause me to have a nervous breakdown.

slothy420 and Plowman like this.
  17. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

There isn't ever going to be a game where its 100% correct and even if there is I am sure fans will gripe about it someway.

The only thing I ever ask of officiating is to have it consistent on both ends. The amount of contact you allow or dont allow on one end have it be the same on the other end. There have been several instances in this series where the Spurs have gotten calls or sent to the line on what would have been called incidental contact and a no call on the other end. For example in game 5 there was a play where Anderson drove the lane and was called for a charge on the pass off in the second half. Maybe 5-6 plays later Kawhi does the same thing, charges into Pat on the pass off but nothing was called and the spurs were able to end the possession with a basket.

I get that the types of calls will change game from game based on the officiating crew which is understandable but as long as each crew is consistent in calling the same level of contact on both sides I would be satisfied.

j@amc and slothy420 like this.
  18. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

If you make your shots when it matters, refs can't have an impact. The refs didn't stop us from moving ball in Game 5. In fact, the Spurs had a LEGIT basket taken away from them in a crucial situation. That's 2 points in a game that went into OT. Any "hypothetical" issue we have with the refs can't hold a candle to having ACTUAL points taken off the board.

19. Plowman

Supporting Member

That's not true. We've come out strong only to have the refs keep it close. Last game we were exhausted ....7 guys into an OT that shouldn't have happened.

20. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Not really true. Refs had zero incentive to keep it close and call it the Rockets way during the Spurs 2 blowouts.