1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Superstars like Harden don't grow on trees

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Moleb, May 9, 2017.

1. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

True that my main point. I'm just super frustrated because I can handle losing to the Spurs, I can't handle them possibly squandering a golden opportunity for a WCF appearance because their best player choked when the game and possible series turning win was right there on a silver platter. Just a frustrating game tonight.

Moleb likes this.
  2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

It's whatever. I don't care anymore.

3. split41

split41 Member

Harden does not need to be second fiddle, yes obviously he needs a second star to be his own second fiddle.

If you think Kyrie is LeBron's equal, you're delusional. When the King sits the Cavs can barely win a game. Kyrie, like love were empty-stat superstars until Lebron came back.

Moleb likes this.
  4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Remove LeBron from the cavs for a year. . . . . Kyrie and Love ain't getting days off to rest
    hell they would not be a 50 win team

Rocket River

5. jae713

jae713 Member

We need a big that is elite on D and can run at the Rockets pace. Can't let teams score at will in the paint. We need to feed Clint some steroids.

6. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Olajuwon, Duncan, and Dirk did it.

roxallways likes this.
  7. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

True, but you left out a key point too. That team played in a VERY weak eastern conference. Put that team in the west and they likely don't make it to the conference finals that year.

8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Dirk was a huge choker no defense player too, at least he was before he won a ring.

split41 likes this.
  9. Caesar

Caesar Member

I'm pretty sure Harden could lead these same Rockets to the Finals if he only had to play the 40 win Wizards in the first round, the 40 win Nets in the 2nd round and an over the hill Pistons after Ben Wallace and Larry Brown were gone in the Conference Finals(but..but...but The Pistons were the #1 seed!!1..hahaha a 53 win #1 seed..pathetic).

Garbage ass conference.

People also never mention that those 07 Cavs were a top ranked defense.

#49 Caesar, May 9, 2017
    Last edited: May 9, 2017
  10. Caesar

Caesar Member

So true. People forget that and i guess that's the point. Championships trump all.

If the Mavs built a top defensive and offensive team around Dirk, there's no reason that it can't be done with Harden. D'Antoni won't get us to the Finals ever though. If he couldn't do it with way more talent in Phoenix, he can't do it in Houston while the Warriors exist in this conference and we can't get any other stars to Houston.

11. stingray88

stingray88 Member

Ill give you Kirk but Duncan had Manu and parker, two future 1st ballot HOFers.

12. Caesar

Caesar Member

Likely? They would have been a 6th seed in the West and lost to the Spurs in the first round BY SWEEP LOL

Tha_Dude likes this.
  13. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Sure there is. Dirk was an athletic freak which allowed him to consistently create good looks for himself. Harden isn't an athletic freak, and he hasn't put in the necessary work to compensate (like Curry).

We absolutely need a second star, but I can't imagine that any legitimate star would want to come to Houston to defer to Harden and cover for him defensively.

14. BossRolen

BossRolen Member

We have some of the most pathetically fickle fans in the world.

Rocket River and RiceRockets like this.
  15. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Parker was in his 2nd year, and Ginobili was a rookie.

16. Caesar

Caesar Member

Hell...if you really want to put that team in the west during the regular season and not play garbage 4 times each weak eastern conference team, it's likely they don't even make the playoffs in the west...8 losses is all they would have needed to miss the playoffs...pretty sure playing western teams 4 times each, they would have easily gotten 8 less wins and been out of the playoff race completely.

17. stingray88

stingray88 Member

Still 1st ballot Hall of Famers at a very young age who had all their athleticism, These guys aren't Eric Gordon and Patrick beverly, just saying.

18. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Who cares that they eventually developed into 1st ballot hall of famers? They weren't anywhere near that level in 2003. Right now, Gordon/Beverley were better than 2003 Parker/Ginobili.

19. Caesar

Caesar Member

Dirk an athletic freak at 32 years old? Majority of that team was well past their athletic prime.

Of course we need a second star. That star never comes though. Who knows...maybe Paul George and Harden are boys and it happens...i doubt it...but nothing is impossible More likely we give some crazy amount of money to Paul Millsap who i like but won't take us anywhere.

20. Rocketeer4Life

My point is if Harden handles the ball every time during end of games, we will have the same playoff results all the time. He needs an equal or someone better than him (which is close to impossible) because that seems the only way he will defer to them in close games. Unless he totally changes his attitude and trusts his current teammates more but he needs to set them up better and not go iso or turn the ball over before they even get a shot.

roxallways likes this.