1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Spurs 5/3/2017 (Playoffs Round 2, Game 2)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, May 2, 2017.

1. BossRolen

BossRolen Member

One thing that became even more clear after Game 2: Harden's intensity sets the tone for the whole team. In Game 1, he came out playing hard and fast and giving it his all on defense in the first half, and that translated to the entire team raising their intensity and we blew them out of the gym. In Game 2, he tweaked something and got hurt early on, then kinda loafed around the court the rest of the half, and the rest of the team followed suit. Harden has to do a better job of realizing the impact he has on the rest of the squad as their leader.

cheke64 and fryjol7 like this.
  2. toycannon

toycannon Member

Defense win playoff series and we could not stop them while they made so much more shots compared to game 1. This is why we lost game 2. To win this series our defense must step it up.

3. Stormy1234

Stormy1234 Member

Harden sounds sick in his post game interview

4. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Kawahi travels and pushes off more than anyone in the league. He is more manufactured by refs than Harden.

5. PhiSlammaJamma

Seemed like an obvious question to ask him if he's sick. Reporters are dumb. Harden addressed the key issues, rebounding, defense, and driving. So at least he/we are aware.

6. Fantasma Negro

Because Harden was more focused on creating contact than hitting shots

7. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Yeah, keep telling yourself that.

Ramo$e likes this.
  8. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

This isn't a Harden issue.

This is a Houston Rockets defensive philosophy issue that has dated back to the days of McHale who was too stupid to think of anything else other than to switch.

It has always been a huge issue for us and I was hoping with the recent JB signing that we'd stop this nonsense and play good hard defense.

Switching is vital in certain scenarios. Doing it on every single screen set is a woeful thing to fall back on. Case in point every single time Bev and whatever big was in the game did it leaving Bev trying to defend LMA.

9. basketballholic

That was a blowout. Officiating did nut determine result. I realize officiating can alter close games. But this wasn't one of them.
    On tv. And I knew one of you would pull this. so go watch the whole game and find it yourself. I don't know how to lip red any better than anybody else but when you know what the conversion is about and the likely points being discussed it's easier to lip read a few words. Just like when they have Manu the freebies. Manu was waiving his arm and saying, "I was shooting, I was shooting."

10. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

that's not very helpful. was this in the pre-game? first quarter? second half? help a guy out

11. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

I usually post something before the game, but this game 2 I didn't. I didn't do it because if it is negativity, don't speak, or don't say. The game was a must-win for the Spurs. I firmly believe if Harden becomes hero, we will get blasted. Game 2, who shot the ball the most and who didn't go FT as much as past games. If Harden tries to play team ball, the Spurs will be swept. The Rockets following Harden didn't finish strong like their leader, who didn't finish strong, or play with an urgency. We will prevail only if Harden allows it.

12. Rocketsmanhk

Rocketsmanhk Member

Harden always makes excuses so I am not surprised he fakes cough after a bad game.

cheke64 likes this.
  13. basketballholic

One instance was when Mills got called for the bump in the second half when he was sandwiched by Nene and Harden. A possession or two before the flop which as a makeup call from this previous exchange. They called Mills for a foul.That wasn't a foul. The official (I can't remember which one) watched their own replay and knew the call was a bad call while Harden was shooting freebies. The next opportunity he evened it up by calling the flop an offensive foul on Harden.

14. Lightsnowaction

Hopefully Dejounte Murray doesn't look too seasoned and the future Spurs PG.

BigShasta likes this.
  15. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

fair enough, but I guess I was asking more about Pop having a conversation with the officials about "calling it both ways." not being sarcastic now, honestly, I just didn't catch it when I was watching the game. makes sense, but I'd love to see it or if someone could post a clip of Pop making that argument I would be interested in seeing it.

16. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

that was a 3 point game with 13min left, and up until that point the officiating had already been horrendously in SA's favor. in fact they had to give some FT's to our scrubs in garbage time just to make the box score look less damning.

rocketman84 likes this.
  17. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

The man has a hand length of more than a foot. He doesn't have to reach much.

18. Remlap

Remlap Member

Forget the fines. I think the NBA needs to impose a new review for flops.
    They have that Replay Center at the ready all game for tech reviews and such and it doesn't have to disrupt
    the flow of the game. Much like reviewing a 3 pt attempts 'in play'.
    My proposal would be that if a whistle is blown on an embellished play like that (Patty Mills), play resumes as usual.
    In the meantime, the Replay Center can review the play closely while the game continues.
    If it is determined to be an OBVIOUS 'attempt to deceive the referees' then punishment is awarded at the next time out or game stoppage.
    Much like revising score after reviewing 3 pt attempts.
    If a defender flopped (Patty Mills/Ginobli) and possession was taken away from the offense, then 2 pts are automatically
    awarded to the opposing team and the player receives a foul for their deception and foul erased from player who was victimized
    If the offensive player flops and receives FT's, then any points awarded are taken away and a foul given. Defender also has phantom foul erased
    These types of penalties would eliminate flopping right away, right Manu? Patty?
    And would only apply if the whistle was blown and the call changed possession or awarded FT's
    Even if game clock runs out and game over, flops near end of play should be reviewed and score changes made if necessary.
    Do you think a defender (Andre Kerilinko) would flop at the end of a game if he knew it would
    automatically award 2pts to the opposing team? NOT. Flop problem solved

#2118 Remlap, May 4, 2017
    Last edited: May 4, 2017
  19. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

just a reminder the game was within 3 and then simmons hit that jumper and only down at 5 to begin the 4th quarter. Lou and the bench didn't have a good game at all and gordon had an ok game, so Spurs got on like 11-0 run and pretty much ended the game after that. We were in the game, just a bad time to let them go on a run. We could have easily been winning if we just hit our open shots, seems like Anderson was the only player on last night, and everybody was clanking wide open 3's. Too bad Anderson will be playing at home now for the next 2 games so hopefully everybody else is on and we can take the next 2 at home.

20. cheke64

cheke64 Member

HEY GUYS!!!! LOOK AT THIS HATER. WHERE WERE YOU GAME 1. YOU SOUND IGNORANT.

Ok now give me likes Harden supporters. thank you.