1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

United volunteers to kick people off plane

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by YuleC, Apr 10, 2017.

1. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

Many of the tickets airlines sell are fully-refundable, so a lot of times they'll have no-shows who cancel last minute. They overbook just about every flight to account for this.

Yung-T likes this.
  2. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Two reasons:

1. Because of the heavy use of very legacy IT systems, booking can come from multiple sources and are not reconciled until boarding.
    2. They have actuaries that run numbers that SOME amount of people will re-book, so if you over sell a flight by some X number, you'll end up carrying closer to 100%. When passengers fail to miss their flights or re-book, you have actually too many people for a flight. For the airlines, its worth the vouchers and bumps to ensure more full flights from a pure actuarial stand point.

Yung-T and Astrodome like this.
  3. apollo33

apollo33 Member

from what I've read on reddit, yes, they have a percentage that they can overbook because that's typically the percentage of passengers that cancels or no show up. it's like 1% or something depending on their data

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

No need to pay people to fix your mess when the police will just get rid of them for free
    [​IMG]

Yung-T and Invisible Fan like this.
  5. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

You see? This is why you don't put people on Ignore whom you have occasional political disagreements with. That is some funny ****, Commodore.

Os Trigonum and B-Bob like this.
  6. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

that's absolutely how it works, and every airline uses a similar formula to account for the no shows vs the fuel costs vs the cost of overbooking flights vs the cost of non revenue generating passengers vs the cost of reimbursing the paying passengers

"due to our policy of overbooking flights, your flight has been overbooked."

but most airliners handle their volunteer policy OUTSIDE the aircraft, not once the paying passengers have already boarded.

I take the voucher when time, convenience ,and value all add up. flying home once, i missed a Rockets home game that I would have caught with my Dad. He took a business client and the Rockets got trounced. I ended up paying for my next trip home for the holidays with the voucher.

7. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Yeah, never put the Commodore on ignore, no matter any politics. Dude posts very funny shiznit.

On topic, I think they call the % of booked passengers who change or no show the "melt," and all sorts of businesses do the same optimization dance, including (in my own biz) university admissions. You have to predict how many of your acceptance letters will turn into actual freshman students showing up. It's a nightmarish crapshoot when you really need a full freshman class but only have so many dorm rooms and up to half the kids you accept will go elsewhere. At least there are ways to finesses your way through several stages in this case, versus an airplane.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  8. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Think a big issue was that United needed the seats to fly their own staff to get somewhere. Apparently they announced on the PA that the flight wasn't taking until they got 4 seats for their own folks.

B-Bob likes this.
  9. apollo33

apollo33 Member

If they offered 800 they can offer 1500 or whatever people were willing to take

to cheap out on 700 bucks, they chose to bloody up a passenger and drag him off the plane while everyone films, I hope that money saving tactic paid off.

10. TheresTheDagger

I bet they NEVER have any issues with this for people flying home from Las Vegas...

Kim likes this.
  11. YuleC

YuleC Member

[​IMG]

Rox11 and EssTooKayTD like this.
  12. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

My ex girlfriend and I got involuntarily bumped in Paris $3000 later, and a cab back into Paris to watch Silversun Pickups live = worth it.

13. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

That was on United (Air France) by the way.

14. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

So they went Lord of the Flies and jettisoned the doctor off of the new colony on Mars

15. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

"As his attorney, I will be working with United to come to a mutual agreement in the monetary range known as "lottery winner" to disappear as quickly as possible. Further questions will be answered by the United PR team after their check clears."

[​IMG]

jsingles, Yung-T, Kim and 2 others like this.
  16. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

On our flight to Portland last summer SW overbooked and needed 2 people to volunteer. They offered $600 per person, and a flight a couple of hours later in the day. My wife and I would have jumped on it, but it was for the Seattle leg of the flight and we were transferring in New Mexico. we would have been happy with a bit of extra spending money for vacation. I don;t think I would have been as happy f they had dragged me out by my feet.

17. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Well that was disturbing - more videos are being released and that man looks like he is having a full on nervous breakdown.

Nook likes this.
  18. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Growing up in my country everyone was so poor, I would have probably volunteered off the flight for a green apple and a toothbrush.

B-Bob and ima_drummer2k like this.
  19. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

new united commercials

20. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

so this guy went toddler protest to get out of something he didn't want to do and is now the internet hero. If only this hospital had other doctors. me first society. the air marshalls are the people who the internet should be raging on.

UA is moving the dreamliner out of houston tho so F them.