1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should we start Lou Williams over Beverley?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Space City, Feb 22, 2017.

?

Should Lou Williams start over Beverley?

1. Yes, Williams should be the starter.

20 vote(s)
    10.4%
  2. No, Beverley should be the starter.

143 vote(s)
    74.5%
  3. No, Gordon should be the starter.

21 vote(s)
    10.9%
  4. Harrell should start over everybody.

8 vote(s)
    4.2%
  1. YOLO

YOLO Member

that is all relative game to game. There isn't a set finishing lineup. Big strength for the rockets. They're deep enough to send different guys out there based on matchups or situation of the game. If you need stops at the end of the game bev will likely be there. if you need offense obviously other options would be preferable.

2. Newlin

Newlin Member

I think you can mix and match all these players and have success. I don't think it matters all that much who starts. Whoever is paired with Harden is going to do a lot of catching and shooting. Beverley at this point has the best 3pt percentage among our guards and probably plays the best defense among our guards, so he is a good fit with Harden. Gordon and Williams seem to excel coming off the bench, so I don't see them being unhappy in that role.

The good news is that Harden shouldn't have to play as many minutes.

Ramo$e likes this.
  3. Lightsnowaction

Lou sits IMO, unless he is On Fire.

4. FANfrom86toNow

FANfrom86toNow Contributing Member

I have said it in a million threads, and I know I'm in the minority point of view. But I still think he should and want Gordon to start. Reasons:

1) Better shooter to space the floor with Harden.
    2) Can also do a better job of getting Harden the ball on the high post
    3) Defense is underrated
    4) Less wear and tear on him if he plays with Harden because it makes his job easier
    5) Bev is not a true SG to play alongside Harden, or starter material for a Championship team, imho. Should be limited to 15 minutes or less of pure hustle, his strength.
    6) We now have a bonafide 6th man in Williams, so no need to keep Gordon on the bench to strengthen the 2nd unit
    7) Bev is injury prone due to his style of play and minutes should be limited to keep him healthy for the playoffs, will excel even more against bench players
    8) Regardless of the stats, anyone watching most games can see that we are not getting off to as great of starts as we could. The eye test also shows that Bev passes up many shots from Harden's passes that Gordon would be taking, or making a strong move to the basket on when defenders try to close out on him.

Now I understand and know that most on this board and MDA obviously doesn't see it this way or agree with me, and that is fine.

I just wanted to express my opinion once more for the record since there is a poll. :D

Either way, I love this team and will be happy with whomever MDA starts or gives minutes too, as long as we WIN BABY!! :D

hakeem94 and Ramo$e like this.
  5. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Don't think it would make sense to completely alter a guy's role with 25 games left in the season when he has been so successful in that role.

Leave him off the bench for now.

justtxyank, Ramo$e and daywalker02 like this.
  6. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

I say Ariza.....unless he's on fire.

7. ROXonROXonROX

ROXonROXonROX Member

C'mon let's not start this crap! NO! BEV will be the starter while Lou and Gordon handle the bench minutes and tear other teams bench a new one.

8. 13 in 33

13 in 33 Member

New minutes distribution:

PG: Harden (34), Williams (14)
    SG: Beverley (24), Gordon (15), Williams (9)
    SF: Ariza (28), Gordon (10), Dekker (10)
    PF: Anderson (28), Harrell (12), Dekker (8)
    C: Capela (26), Nene (22)

DonKnock likes this.
  9. ABS

ABS Member

They shouldn't be acting that way. They OWE us a favor!

10. ABS

ABS Member

Haha....you are crack-pipe, stupid. You don't even know what "roll hard to the basket" means. Trez gets "post touches," and finish missed shots. A "roll hard to the basket" are situation with pick-and-rolls or Harden breaking down the defense and going hard to the basket.

Like I said, it starts with the PG and the 4 or 5 spot. This is why you see Capela/Nene/Harrell at elbow, facilitating the pass for a guard to roll hard to the basket.

11. jnuge90

jnuge90 Member

ABS leave Tha_Dude alone. A) He's much smarter than you. B) His posts are enjoyable to read, whereas yours... Yours are flat out awful.
    Ignore I cant do it anymore

12. jnuge90

jnuge90 Member

Also, everytime you're online... bilaal's not. You are embarassing us.

hakeem94 and justtxyank like this.
  13. mightybosstone

I certainly don't think they should start out with that idea in mind. But there's still a good chunk of the season left to play around with the rotation. If Lou Will and Harden develop good chemistry, I could see it happening. But on paper, I still think Bev is the best complement to Harden, and Lou makes the most sense coming off the bench with Gordon.

DonKnock likes this.
  14. Von Rafer

Von Rafer Member

I said Gordon should start at the beginning of the season, I was wrong. Harden and Bev compliment each other perfectly. Lou and Gordon bring serious firepower off the bench.

DonKnock likes this.
  15. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

MDA should try every combination with all 4 guards. that's what regular season is for.

16. Zergling

Zergling Member

D'Antoni should do it just to try it. I guess he doesn't need to start Lou, just have him be the first sub in for Beverley

17. D-rock

D-rock Member

LOL - that teaches me to try to dialog with a racist moron.

18. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

D'Antoni called Lou Williams the team's "7th man."

DonKnock likes this.
  19. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Is Lou Will the best 7th man in the history of the NBA?

Deserves its own thread :D

hakeem94 and justtxyank like this.