1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NYC Rockets fans meet?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by munco, Oct 27, 2003.

1. The Voice of Reason

BRAVO
    and quietly a feeling grew, emotions stirred as a new home had come to be. A home away from home for some. The first real home to others. A home for Rockets fans in the worlds greatest city.
    Riviera in the West Village. on 7th Avenue North of Christopher.

http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/nyct/maps/manbus.pdf
    http://rivieracafe.citysearch.com/

Be there because i cant be

2. achachu

achachu Member

Excellent Call.

See you guys there at 8

3. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

i started a thread long ago about OUT OF TOWN FANS. some dude from utah said that this was a tired topic but look what happened. thanks to munco's initiative, nyc fans can watch a game together. the riviera it is. i am going to try my best to make it this week but i have a friend leaving town that evening so i have to work that out. otherwise i'm there next time. see you soon.

4. munco

munco Member

Your thread is what led me to start the group and thread. I hope we get an ok turn out. If we start winning, I'm sure the group will grow much larger and word of mouth will kick in. That would great if this thing got huge though and then we could give props to CC.net.

Thanks to CC.net and all the mods for not locking this thread. I hope that we can get a big rocket following for the games in NYC.

5. freeflowin'

freeflowin' Member

I'll be there unless work gets in the way. I'll be the Asian dude with the goofy suit.

6. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

where the hell were all yall guys when i was in town

7. madteds

madteds Contributing Member

Wow, this sounds pretty cool! Thanks for taking the initiative guys. You're doing a huge service to all the lonely rocket fans up here!

teddy

I wish I could come out, but I have to finish my thesis this week. Go rockets!

8. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

its called a fake ID ;)

9. Bailey

Bailey Veteran Member

Hiding.

10. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

GARM is your answer.

890 views in the GARM about NYC rockets fans, those are your numbers right there.

i just dont think enough NY Rocket fans go to the Hangout as much as the regulars.

mods, can we use the GARM from now on to advertise Rockets games in NYC?

11. nyrocket

nyrocket Member

Regarding the Riviera, call ahead and reserve a table for you guys. There are plenty of tables in the bar section, and each has at least one tv hanging in plain view. Let them know how many are coming and that you'll need the Rockets game set up wherever you are. They'll take care of you. The bartender's name is Jim, and he's awesome. Take care of him, and he'll take care of you, if you know what I mean.

The bar is behind the restaurant - its location is not immediately obvious if you enter through the restaurant entrance.

I wish I could join you guys, but sadly I'll be watching the game from Miami, where I now live.

Someone post Thursday night or Friday and let me know how it went.

12. munco

munco Member

Hey nyrocket,

I just called the Riviera, but they said that reservations are only for Sunday football. The guy that picked up the phone said that there will be no table in getting a table and watching the game. Thanks for the advice. I hope that you can make it to one of the future games if you visit NY.

We do have a good number of posts, I hope any people on the fence decide to check it out tommorrow.

13. nycrocket

nycrocket Contributing Member

I'm a different poster than nyrocket. If you guys are serious about getting a bar to "sponsor" Rocks games, you should check out the Back Page. It's around 83rd and 3rd, and its where all the UT games are shown. They also have other alumni groups like Arizona, and some others. The owner seems cool, so if you make it a routine thing you can prob. get a discount.

14. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Too bad we can't go to Hooters. All we'd need would be 500 buffalo-wings, 15 recliners, big screen plasma TV, and a few hooter girls!

15. munco

munco Member

I guess we could go to Hooters, but that might turn off any women that are interested in going. I don't think I've heard from any women fans but that would be great to have them aboard. In any case...

8PM vs. the Denver Nuggets
    Riviera (W. Village)
    (7th Ave, N. of Christopher)

Hope to see you guys there. I'll probably be the guy sitting with an Yao Ming Bobblehead on the table. The bar is behind the restaurant I understand.

16. nyrocket

nyrocket Member

If you get to the Riviera early enough you can definitely score a table. Sucks about the reservations, though.

My second choice would be the Back Page. The location isn't ideal for anyone not on the UES, but it's very large and it has a downstairs room that's usually pretty nearly empty. If you guys build up a good sized group, that might be the move to make.

Although I'm sure if five or six of you show up regularly to the Riviera, they'll start making exceptions to whatever whack policies they have. Again, just talk with the bartender Jim after you've been there a handful of times (if it works out), and I promise you he'll set you up.

17. munco

munco Member

Thanks for more advice nyrocket. There definitely are a good number of sports bars on the upper east, but the location is pretty tough for a lot of people. In the end the location will be the bar that can bring out th emost people.

BTW My friend who is a Suns fan and his girlfriend who is a Nuggets fan are planning to come tonight :mad:
    So, we better have some representation.

18. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

munco:

Have you talked to Blondie's on the upper west side? Do you know if they're likely to show the game? I'd love to meet you guys but I'm in rehearsal til 9 and want to get to the nearest bar to catch the second half.

19. persian hoopa

persian hoopa Contributing Member

Dude we need to change this to 99 Hudson then. They let you reserve tables. I will come if we can be assured of having the game for us and that there will be seats for us. 99 Hudson will do so and I have asked. They are one of the places that people go to watch the UT games.

20. munco

munco Member

I called yesterday and they said getting a table with the game would be no problem. I was pretty impartial to this place or 99 hudson because both had a good number of trains nearby and both were relatively close to most people. Let's see how this place goes since I've already posted that Riviera is the spot. We can always move location for future games and Riviera and 99 Hudson are not too far from each other. I will be the guy sitting there with Yao Ming Bobblehead.

8PM vs. the Denver Nuggets
    Riviera (W. Village)
    (7th Ave, N. of Christopher)

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/houstonrocketsnyc