1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Oakley taken out by security at MSG

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Amel, Feb 8, 2017.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Jordan and Oakley are good friends, going back to their days together on the Bulls in the 80s. I guess Oakley needed someone of his stature to advocate on his behalf.

hvic likes this.
  2. Brutaldiego88

Brutaldiego88 Member

Oakley rocket for life lol

3. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Is it really? The pow wow was very forced and makes their apologies fake. These are two grown men, not children who need to have a parent talk to them.

I'd rather them be real. I don't care for fake pleasantries and passive aggressive looks. Let the drama come out. Plus I enjoy the clown show.

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

One post answers another (even though it was poster prior).

Adam Silver doing work to protect the interests of the NBA. Doesn't matter how real the fence-mending is.

Regardless of how Oakley acted the night of the expulsion, Dolan is a sorry individual and a disgrace to the NBA.

5. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'd love it if it was 100% sincere too. But prior to this we have the Knicks insinuating things about Oakley's personal issues (even if they aren't real) via tweet to the public. Prior to that we have Oakley upset that he isn't really included in the Knicks celebration of their 90's teams, and the Knicks leaving him out. Oakley bought his own ticket to the Knicks game, and the Knicks were going to have him thrown out of the Garden. Even after Oakley acted out improperly once the security team confronted him, the fans at the Garden were still chanting his name loudly, supporting him right in the face of the Knicks exec.

So even if all they are doing is playing nice in public, that is still better than it has been. It may not be perfect, but it is definitely better than it was.

6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Jordan is both an owner and Charles Oakley's friend

hvic likes this.
  7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

He also used to own the Knicks.

Brown Lost It, MoonBus, hvic and 2 others like this.
  8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Wrt Jordan: Silver probably told both sides he'd allow each to have one friend on the call, but Dolan couldn't find one.

Btw: Silver pretty much had to step in, because they wouldn't stop the social media arguing. You can call it a "fake aplology", but it has tangible purpose in that now both parties can refer to the NBA tweet if media keeps insisting on more mud slinging, and the league comes out looking good for getting them together.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  9. J.R.

J.R. Member

Just got word from the NY Knicks, that whole ban is over. He can go back anytime he wants. - Stephen A.; 9:49am

10. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Yeah, SAS just announced the same on First Take.

11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

12. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

not really. Dolan lifted the ban. It's not like they banned Ewing or Clyde Frazier or Bernard King.

Knicks fans really overrate their players cause they are in New York.

Code:

Player            G  W  L GS   MP  FG FGA  FG%  3P 3PA   3P%  FT FTA  FT% ORB DRB TRB AST STL BLK TOV  PF  PTS
    Otis Thorpe      31 16 15 24 31.0 5.2 9.7 .537 0.0 0.0  .000 2.0 2.8 .693 2.2 5.3 7.5 2.4 0.5 0.5 2.4 3.7 12.4
    Charles Oakley   31 15 16 29 31.4 3.0 6.9 .437 0.0 0.0 1.000 1.8 2.4 .757 2.7 6.4 9.1 2.6 0.9 0.2 2.0 3.2  7.8

Provided by Basketball-Reference.com: View Original Table
    Generated 2/14/2017.

Pen15clubber and Brown Lost It like this.
  13. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

Nah, Olajuwan juked that **** just in time. That peripheral vision man.

Oakley woulda whooped Barkley, but I put my money on Hakeem.

14. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I would do pay-per-view for an Oakley/Dolan celebrity deathmatch.

heypartner likes this.
  15. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

My guess is he said something to Dolan that Dolan didn't like. You could see Dolan smiling and laughing before and as it happened. I wonder what he said, probably something about not caring about the Knicks and Melo not coming to play hard, so Dolan flexed on him and had him removed. He probably said something more personal than that, who knows.

16. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

Mr. Jordan....just sounds weird. He will always be Michael Jordan AKA MJ AKA Air Jordan AKA Jumpan AKA 23

Dolan and the Knicks deserve drunk Oakley.

LMAO, yes. Former Knicks owner, Mr. Jordan.

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

18. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Apparently Oakley once slapped Barkley...

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2019/...1999-season-san-antonio-spurs-new-york-knicks

Chris Childs (New York Knicks guard): Oak spots Barkley and walks toward him.

George McCloud (Phoenix Suns forward): He made a beeline to Barkley.

Childs: Barkley puts his hand out like to shake his hand and Oak goes off and slaps him.

Hunter: He slapped the **** out of Charles. KA-POW! Yeah, I saw it. I couldn’t believe it. I said, “****, what is going on?”

McCloud: Oakley wouldn’t let you grab him, so he was swinging at everyone who tried.

Davis: I’m grabbing Oak and telling him, “Hey, I understand, bro, but this is not the place. Not here! Not now! Not here! Not now!” I was begging him. I remember grabbing him and he was like, “Let me go. Let me go.” I’m like, “Please, man. Not here, not now.” He was like, “All right, all right, but you know.” I was like, “Oh my goodness, this could get really ugly really fast.”

Hunter: Barkley then fled from the room. We never saw him again, not that night. [Barkley did not respond to requests for an interview.]

Childs: That slap was so loud it echoed from person to person all the way around the room. It was that loud. I laughed. I thought it was the funniest thing because Oak said he was going to do it.

Glen Grunwald (Toronto Raptors general manager): Oak was supposed to get a balloon payment of about $7-8 million that season from his time in New York. Then we missed half the season and he didn’t get half his balloon payment. I felt he kind of got screwed on that.

Davis: It was less about [the lockout] and more about their history.

Childs: Some stuff was said beforehand. It came up in an interview about what kind of player Oakley was, how he hustled and played hard. Barkley said, “You know when they say someone hustles and plays hard? That means he can’t really play.” I can’t remember the exact words. Oak got wind of it and said, “When I get to New York, I’m going to go up to him and slap him. I’m not going to punch him. I’m going to treat him like a ta-da-da-da-da.” We were all sitting there waiting. I knew it was going to happen because I know Oak. He slapped a few people during my time in New York and Toronto. Several. I was there. I witnessed it.

Torn n Frayed and KingCheetah like this.