1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Eddie Griffin In The Hospital

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by H-Town Info, Oct 28, 2003.

1. micah1j

micah1j Member

Still no reason to extend Griffin. Until the situation with the incident at his house and the gunshots are resolved there is no need to extend him. Griffin is nuclear-waste right now and no one will touch him (a trade or next year as a free agent).

2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Exactly! I see Eddie in the Hospital as a VERY GOOD sign. It means perhaps he FINALLY has come to grips with his problems. The first sign is always RECOGNITION of one's problems. Cleary he has been having problems for some time now and these most recent incidients just brought everything to a head.

We can hope that this hospital visit will straighten out Eddie and he can recover from his problems, then be fresh to come back to the team, practice work his way back into the rotation and be a contributor.

Good luck Eddie.

3. Loco Gringo

Loco Gringo Member

just me or does that sound like hippy talk?.. but lets not turn this into a drug thread please.. lets hope he sorts himself out, anyone else think that maybe he came to the NBA too early?.. he should've stayed in school for longer

4. Bailey

Bailey Veteran Member

Have you seen the photos of R2K?

:D

5. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

[​IMG]

Ok maaan, you busted me...
    I have a secret hippy agenda on this issue...

Legalize! :D

no seriously...
    I am not trying to start a drug thread...andymoon covers that in D&D better than I ever could..
    I just hate to see all these misconceptions about how he must be addicted to a substance that isnt addictive just because of one bust for possession..:(

6. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

He is probably rehabilitating, for drug treatment. Now that could be a good sign.

7. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

:D

actually, those photos don't tell the whole story..

I wish I still had pics of me 5 years ago...
    to get a good idea...just look at the pic I just posted above..
    darker hair...no tie-dye...
    I was actually more of a rock musician-looking hippy than a 60's hippy..

8. codell

codell Contributing Member

Picture of R2K from 5 years ago:

[​IMG]

:p

9. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

close....but no tie-dye..I dont even own anything that is tie-dyed..

and my hair was a few inches off of my waist...with a quasi-ZZTop beard.....nad not quite that big around..:p

10. Nero

Nero Member

from wire reports updated this am, sorry if it has already been posted

Associated Press

HOUSTON -- Suspended Houston Rockets forward Eddie Griffin, who police have sought to question about a confrontation with a woman, has reportedly sought professional help by voluntarily checking into a facility in the area.

Griffin

Griffin's attorney, Rusty Hardin, told the Houston Chronicle in Wednesday's editions that Griffin has many reasons for taking the action.

"Eddie has a lot of problems, and he has reached out for help," Hardin said Tuesday night from Philadelphia. "He has a lot of emotional problems he's seeking help for."

NBA sources who spoke on condition of anonymity told Houston television station KRIV that Griffin checked into a hospital.

"Without discussing any of the specifics, he is in the process of receiving medical help that has been urged on him for several weeks," Hardin told the station.

Houston police are investigating a 21-year-old woman's allegations that Griffin struck her in the face and shot at her early Saturday at his southwest side home. No charges have been filed.

But police have been unable to talk to Griffin about the confrontation with the woman who said she was a friend of the player.

"We still have an ongoing investigation, and we're still interviewing witnesses," Joe Laud, a Houston police spokesman, said Tuesday night. "His lawyers have basically said, 'If you come up with a charge, we'll start talking.'''

Also, Griffin has an unresolved mar1juana possession charge against him stemming from an April arrest. His next court date on the charge is set for Thursday.

Hardin said the type of treatment Griffin is seeking might affect whether he will appear.

"Right now, he's still set for court on Thursday," Hardin told the newspaper.

Griffin was suspended indefinitely from the team Oct. 16 for a series of missed practices and a skipped flight to Sacramento recently.

Hardin early Wednesday had not returned a telephone call from AP. Rockets management has maintained they do not know Griffin's whereabouts and team spokesman Nelson Luis could not confirm any details.

After the suspension earlier this month, Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy said he hoped the time away from the team would allow Griffin to "get himself together."

The seventh overall pick of the New Jersey Nets in 2001, Griffin was traded to the Rockets for three first-round draft choices. He has averaged 8.7 points and 5.8 rebounds per game in two seasons with the Rockets.

11. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

12. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

It's clinical depression.

13. shawn786

shawn786 Member

Yea sounds like depression to me too

14. edwardc

edwardc Member

griffin is seeking medical treatment That's good hopefully this can get him back on the roght track to getting back on the court an keep him out of the court system.

15. Bobblehead

Bobblehead Contributing Member

Once he gets on Prozac or something like that, he should be fine.

My things is I don't think he that skilled to begin with and really can't help this team. I say trade him and get whatever you can for him and do not extend his contract. That would be a "Matt Maloney, Moochie Norris, Kelvin Cato, Bryce Drew..etc..." type contract or signing.

16. rothdaniel

rothdaniel Member

We should all now get off Eddies case.

He either is serious about getting help or in such deep s**t that he did this to divert attention. Sometimes you gotta hit rock bottom.

Don't extend his contract and if/when it looks like his life's back together give him a shot.

17. swat

swat Member

Pardon my cynicism, but this was the only conceivable move for Eddie to avoid immediate scrutiny from the police and an upcoming court date Thursday. It also ties the Rockets' hands further on making a move. If he does have an
    authentic treatable illness, then it's great that he is going to manage it...maybe he really has 'hit bottom'. But he in no way should be considered part of the Rockets' on-court picture in the near future; a young, on-the-cusp team cannot afford to lose focus and hope Eddie will somehow emerge from all this with no legal px and a new resilience for the physical, social, and pschological rigors of the NBA season. No option renewal, stay the course on the suspended list, and take a second look next summer. That's the healthy response from the team, and that's the right
    message for Eddie.

18. a-rock

a-rock Member

...just went to rockets.com and to the player section...

thereĀ“s no eddie griffin anymore!

usually, there is a "*" which means player X is on the injured list... but heck...no eddie griffin

19. verse

verse Contributing Member

i've been saying this for quite some time now. eddie is clinically depressed. it is very, very apparent to anyone that has been through such an ordeal.

how any of the idiots in this thread think he is checked in for drug addiction is beyond me. it's like you guys want him to have a drug addiction.

20. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Agreed, it very much looks like depression. I dont think this has anything to do with drugs. And I think the depression has really stunted his growth as a basketball player. He just didn't want to improve. Hopefully he can beat this thing and get his mind straight.