1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It's Very Simple: Get Romo or Jimmy G

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Fullcourt, Jan 15, 2017.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

You still think Brock is better.

To me, sticking with him is QB desperation.

Using a draft pick on somebody with viable NFL experience, and doesn't need the requisite 2-3 year development period... and happens to possess the requisite mental abilities to run a complex similar system... is not a gamble or desperation at all.

Also, the Pats would be suckers if they paid big money to a guy who'd be a backup... Or if they'd simply let him go in free agency, when they could get valuable picks for him.

There's not much more to it. Despite your made up narrative.

Tha_Dude likes this.
  2. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Teddy Bridgewater, Derek Carr

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL, you're almost as bad as Mr. Clutch when it comes to completely failing to follow along in conversation.....only he's a troll and does it on purpose.

I've never said that Brock is "better", at any point, ever. Of course that doesn't stop you from making that claim over and over and over and over again no matter how many times I correct you...so just rock on I guess.

I do truly hope that this "savior" is better than the last several people that fans like you have invented, if only so you can finally say "I told you so"

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Sticking with Brock is most definitely QB desperation.

Running him out there is precisely the definition of insanity... doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting a different result.

He doesn't have it. Not in this system.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

So, you would have picked Derek Carr #1 overall?

Good for you.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'll explain this for you yet again....though I don't think it'll help.

Brock will be on the roster for one more season due to his contract. That's just a fact. Accept it, don't accept it, cry about it.....whatever you want to do, doesn't matter. Since he's on the roster, he'll have a shot at winning the starting job in camp no matter what the Texans do.....including being the next sucker to buy the QB's the Patriots are discarding.

That's really all I have ever said. Hopefully you understand it this time......but I see myself having to spell this out for you again at some point.

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Attempting to upgrade from him is not "desperation"

It's mandatory.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Believing that the next QB the Pats are discarding is "the savior" is desperation. It would be an incredibly foolish move almost certainly. Now suggesting that going dumpster diving in the Patriots' trash isn't suggesting that they shouldn't try and upgrade from Osweiler, it's just suggesting that is a terrible way to try and do it.

Realistically, there's not a good way to upgrade from Osweiler for this upcoming season if Savage can't outplay him. The QB class is weak, and even if they drafted one in the first round, they likely would need a year in the season before they could use it worth a damn. The high price bandaid options are off the table, so you'll just have to make your peace with the fact that it'll likely be either Osweiler, Savage, or a rookie behind center (the actual center and not someone just filling in) next season.

9. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Contributing Member

The good news is depending on the unpredictable nature of drafting QB's is not our only option. You have a proven NFL effective QB available through trade or free agency. These type of QB's rarely become available and when they do, franchises snatch them up regardless of injury risk because they are that rare. Wake up Texans. This should be your highest priority right now. That it's not is why you're the Texans.

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The fact remains the entirety of your black/white analysis consists of:

Garopolo is a Pats backup, thus he = trash.

It's exactly the same analysis most Texans followers had of Derek Carr. You're really stopping to that level?

11. Nimo

Nimo Member

Most of the teams that are closer to winning it all also drafted QBs. Most teams also have a lot of talent around them. With Denver and Carolina last year, it was the defense. With the Falcons, it's the receivers and the RBs. With the Patriots, it's pieces all over the team but mostly the coaching/system. Rodgers by himself couldn't get it done, neither could Cam, without the defense and running game. When the Texans have an offensive line like the Cowboys, they'll find a Dak. When they have a defense like the seahawks, they'll find a Russell. Those teams use high draft picks on other positions and then invested mid-round picks on the QBs. Not a guarantee but it keeps the team competitive even if you swing and miss on the QB position.

12. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I wouldn't have had to.

13. body slam

body slam Member

Before I take either Romo or Garopolo I would take a shot at Johnny Football.

14. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I think we found Johnny's CF account.

15. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

If you can get Jimmy G for a reasonable price then you pull the trigger obviously. He looked great in his 1.5 games as a starter but beware, Belichick hyped up this guy up (said he couldn't tell the difference between him and Brady :rolleyes:) which is a HUGE red flag. When you add their willingness to trade him and the fact that Belichick went out of his way to overly compliment Jimmy G publicly (he rarely talks about individuals, always team) then you know it's just Belichick being sneaky and artificially increasing Jimmy G's price tag.

Someone is going to overpay but it can't be us. If someone does then it's better to sign Romo after he is cut and draft Watson or Mahomes.

16. Nimo

Nimo Member

http://torotimes.com/2017/02/05/pat...llins-texans-deandre-hopkins-jonathan-joseph/
    So this report said the Patriots were willing to trade for Jonathan Joseph to get rid of Jamie Collins. If the Texans are able to sign Bouye and maybe draft another corner; do they pull a Jimmy G for Johnny Jo trade?

17. rmoreno

rmoreno Member

You do realize we could've picked him (Carr) with the first pick in the second round????? o_Oo_Oo_O

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Sure... but the original post described selecting possible QB solutions with first round draft picks.

Carr was never projected to go early... it was always a discussion of Bortles, Bridgewater and Manziel. Carr was persona-non-grata amongst Texans brass anyways.

19. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

No brainer because that price is very reasonable. Unreasonable would be a 1st or even a 2nd round pick. Screw that. Best I would do with a draft pick is a 3rd.

20. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

That was during the year though. Patriots know that the Texans will be cutting JJo this offseason to free up money for Bouye anyway