1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We need forward(s)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by snowconeman22, Feb 2, 2017.

1. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Here comes the classic kneejerk.

Our guards are OK . Thin ... But if healthy then our 3 man guard unit is up there with the league's elite.

Our centers are also OK. Clint and nene and Harrell are not elite by any means , but they accept and know their roles .... Defensively they are solid individual defenders but could stand to improve as rim protectors .

Here comes the problem .... Forwards .

Ariza is what he is , a bottom tier starter and looks to be declining on the end that makes him his money .

Brewer . Probably one of the worst players in the NBA. Absolutely detrimental to playing as a cohesive 5 man unit .

Dekker . I think he's got great potential , but he is far away from putting it together as a CONSISTENT NBA player. He makes too many mistakes ( understandable) and doesn't have an elite skill to compensate yet.

Anderson .. He has been incredibly disappointing . Not as great a shooter as I've hoped and at times he seems timid with the ball . Aside from shooting provides limited defense and negligble passing or other types of scoring

In sum , we need a new forward

hakeem94 likes this.
  2. James Gabriel

James Gabriel Member

We need a forward, yes.

We need to move forward from moneyball.

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

We need Sir Jibaca, our knight in shiny armor. Give the Magicians whatever it takes.

hakeem94 likes this.
  4. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Once again our forwards are doing nothing . It's frustrating seeing the same 4 players consistently be inconsistent . Dekker has some excuse given he's rookie . But Anderson has such a little girl mentality that he won't even do the one thing we brought him on to do ... ( shoot)

Ariza is what he is . He would be incredibly potent if we could limit him to ~ 25 minutes a game .

Won't even comment on Brewer

Little Bit and IvanLCPM like this.
  5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Why do you think I wanted Dmo so badly? A 7 skilled forward/Center, not that he is all world, but that he made this roster more complete.

Now, we are a short team that needs another skilled big...especially since Nene is apparently made of glass and can't play back to backs.

DD

cato13 likes this.
  6. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I'm not sure DMO is the answer . Im not sold on his athleticism right now and we need someone who can stay in front of their man . Dmo WAS a good defender once up one a time because he knew where to be and was fairly quick .

I haven't watched that much of him this year , but he doesn't have his athleticism back yet . He would be no better than Ryan Anderson defensively right now . Sure he's a better passer , but also a worse shooter.

7. ilovehtownbb

ilovehtownbb Member

Ryno struggling

8. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Is he ? Or is this just who he is ?

He's always been a chucker , but this season is interesting . He's shooting the 3 point percentage in his career on high attempts , yet his overall scoring is down .

He's not getting any boards .

He doesn't have the physical tools to play defense.

What can we do to maximize him ? His dirk shot was a thought , but he can't buy one this year.

9. RocketsTerps

RocketsTerps Member

Let it go man. D-Mo wouldn't solve crap. We need an elite rebounder and rim protector. D-Mo don't do none of that.

#9 RocketsTerps, Feb 3, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
  10. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Id trade a 1st for Wilson Chandler

11. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Forward definitely needs to be addressed

12. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I think we are going to wait till the deadline. The potential of our forwards and how our forwards have preformed is not equivalent.... but we need to make some changes and maybe take a chance or two. Its worth looking at in-house options before trying to trade ( of course excluding brewer )

Dekker's a real prospect. He's got athleticism, IQ, and a shot. How consistent is the shot ? Can he learn from defensive mistakes ? I don't think he's ready to start at any point this year, but I love playing him with Harden and Bev.

Ariza is still 100 percent serviceable. If we could somehow get him down to 30 per game ( preferably high 20's ) then he's got a chance to be an elite role player for his 3 and D role....... Rested Ariza shoots so much better than tired Ariza.

That alone wouldn't be a huge issue, because its a slight disadvantage at the 3, but if you could play Ariza 28 mpg and Dekker 20 I feel that the spot would be fine.

The problem comes from the 4. Now, I said forwards in the OP because adding to either spot would help given how we play.

Anderson has his own 18 mil thread for a reason. This guy has really been disappointing. He's shooting a fine percentage from 3.... but I DO NOT trust him at all. He's either hot or cold, its like the quality of looks almost doesn't matter. He's awful on D and doesn't provide any other offensive skills.

I'm not going to talk about brewer. Either he gives everyone a massive surprise and magically plays well or he continues down his path of being one of the worst players in the league .... love him as a person, but that's how it is.

Here are our In- house solutions and they may involve tinkering with linueps... we have to provide enough space, but Harden is good enough in the PnR to generate great looks of all types. D'antoni should be able to come up with a Spurs type movement offense that can function if we don't absolutely maximize spacing. We've got to try and put stronger players on the floor at the forwards.

Its clear that Harrell is the next best man up. Great 1-on-1 defender due to physical tools. Nice midrange jumper and overall solid BB IQ. Can he play the 4 ? Do we have a 5 he can play with ?

The answer is of course yes .... but how effective will it be. People repeat spacing spacing spacing, but we've lost games to teams that can pound us inside and wear us down on the glass over the course of the game. It almost happened tonight. The tipping point will be can Harrell and Nene be effective enough on D and in the paint to overcome shooting woes ? Can Nene shoot 35 % from 3 ? If he misses can Harrell get the board ? Same Q Vice Versa ?

Maybe Harrell can grow into a shooter. That's our best case scenario. That then allows us to play dekker at backup 2-3 which can soften the load on trevor and perhaps even one of our guards on an off night.

Accuiring a forward is going to be tough and I don't think we have much choice but to keep Anderson.

An interesting idea ... although one I think has 0 chance is to go bev/james/dekk/trez/clint ... much lower skill than current starters, lower team D skills because Arizas not out there. That's a lineup that's got our best hustle players in it and maybe there's enough off ball movement to compensate for shooting ... or maybe we get hot. Ego/ryan/trev/nene is a bench unit that would decimate other benches worse than our starters might lose.

DonKnock, RudyTBag and hakeem94 like this.
  13. Exiled

Exiled Member

Harrell should slide into the PF spot

DonKnock and RudyTBag like this.
  14. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

He'd have to be paired with a 5 that can shoot for this to happen. No way MDA clogs the paint by playing Harrell with CC or Nene. To DD's point, Dmo absolutely would fill this role.

But theres other dudes out there that we can target. Like I posted above, Id give up a 1st round pick for Wilson Chandler.

15. Exiled

Exiled Member

ideally of course,but for the time being instead of Brewer or sloppy Anderson ,this guy deserve a chance .
    If Harrell attempted 7 shots ,he can score once at least from 3 points line.
    when opponents attack the rim, he is less likely to close his eyes and wish for the best, he would be effective defensively on the week side ( he was meant to be a K.Farid type of a player anyway )

16. theprof

theprof Member

Josh Smith and Carlos Boozer (puke) are available. Smith is shooting 38% from 3pt can rebound and play D.

17. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

You clearly don't understand what the Rockets are doing offensively...

18. Exiled

Exiled Member

shooting a lot of 3s ! anything else in particular I didn't get ?

19. Rox11

Rox11 Member

We need an athletic forward!

Pen15clubber likes this.
  20. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

It's all about spacing the floor to try to get easy shots at the right rim. Having two guys that can't space the floor simply doesn't make sense in today's NBA.

Honestly, it's not just the Rockets. Off the top of my head, I can't think of a team that doesn't use a stretch big. Pairing Herrall with either CC or Nene is outdated, stupid basketball.